Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC course equiv problem
Hi all,

I'm about to enroll at TESC once my semester at the local CC is complete. I sent an email to TESC advising to find out what courses I might expect my current classes to transfer in as and I'm not sure about the answers.

Current course: Introduction to Programming and Problem Solving:

From course catalog: "The course emphasis is on the use of problem-solving techniques to develop computer program solutions to simple programming problems. Topics include number systems; information representation in memory; programming languages and development environments; problem-solving, program design, and pseudocode; loops and decisions, functions, arrays, structures, and recursion. You will write programs using one or more programming languages (such as C++ or Java)."

While that's the official description, I'd effectively call this course "Intro to Python." The catalog still says C++ or Java, but there was a switch to Python as the intro programming language of choice at this school this year.

I was told by TESC that this would transfer in as COS-101. Described as follows:

"Introduction to Computers provides students with a broad, general introduction to hardware and software fundamentals, productivity software, graphics, digital media, multimedia, database applications, networking, the Internet, and security and privacy issues as well as an introduction to object-oriented programming using the Visual Basic programming language."

From these two descriptions, I see basically no overlap in these courses besides the mention of object-oriented programming. Also, I've already been given credit for COS-101 already from my CLEP Info Sys and Comp Apps. Nothing in the CLEP I took is being covered in this course. However, I don't see a course in the TESC catalog that fits the description better.

Any advice on what to suggest to them as a more accurate transfer equivalent?
The registrar will evaluate your credits after you apply and send your transcripts. Advisement and the registrar often do and say different things, but what the registrar does is all that matters.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Thanks for the reply. I had suspected that advisement's consideration of it went about as deep as: "intro" = COS-101.

COS-101 is probably the best answer I'll get for now since I won't send official transcripts of these courses until they're completed in May. If this does duplicate, I may have to take something else on the fly (maybe SL C++? There's no TESCequiv listed on SL, but others here seem to have had it accepted.)
You may be on separate wavelengths from whoever gave you TE info. What program requirement do you think that your current CC course fits in to? If you can't cross it to a specific TESC program plan because TESC's COS-101 already fills that slot and you have it filled from your CLEP, then your CC course will have to find another spot to "occupy". This will probably have to be one of your 15 free elective slots unless you can convince TESC that it is really a disguised math course and should be classified as a liberal arts elective. Your CC course will probably get slotted by TESC into a generic course code as COS-199 Introduction to Programming and Problem Solving. Until you have enrolled and received your official evaluation, you cannot appeal. And, you will only have to appeal if TESC doesn't want to grant you credit at all for this course because in their opinion it is a duplicate. Unless you don't have an available slot for this course, you will only have to show that it is not a duplicate. To me it sounds different by title: Intro to Computers being more general and Intro to Programming being more specific and hence different. There is no more overlap here than you might have than in say Intermediate Algebra followed by College Algebra which TESC accepts as separate courses and grants full credit for both. Intermediate Algebra, by the way, has to go into an elective slot in all the TESC degree plans I've seen. Good luck.
adavis84 Wrote:If this does duplicate, I may have to take something else on the fly (maybe SL C++? There's no TESCequiv listed on SL, but others here seem to have had it accepted.)

TESC transcribed for me Straighterline C++ programming as COS-213 , Penn Foster 's Intro to Programming as COS -111.
adavis84 Wrote:Thanks for the reply. I had suspected that advisement's consideration of it went about as deep as: "intro" = COS-101.

This is probably the correct assessment. They look for keywords, and intro is certainly one of them. I'd suggest using caution if mis-classification of this course is going to mess you up, I mean do you want to take it anyway or is it really important that it fit in a certain spot? If you need this to fit, you might want to hold off registering for the class until you are a TESC student and can get confirmation that it will work the way you need it to. I had a course ($$$) land in the wrong spot, never did get it moved, and had to take ANOTHER course to meet the criteria ($$$) so it's a pain if it's one of the important ones.
lavagirl Wrote:TESC transcribed for me Straighterline C++ programming as COS-213 , Penn Foster 's Intro to Programming as COS -111.

This is probably the correct equivalency for the OP's course.

Quote:Introduction to Programming   (COS-111)   3.00 s.h.  *
Introduction to the software development process and programming. Topics include the structure and design of algorithms, data types and documentation. Students will develop programs using the department's computer facilities in a high level language, such as Pascal or C.

OP: Are you planning to major in something that requires a programming course? If so, I can definitely see why you would not want it to be COS-101.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I just look at my recently audited transcript. I received COS-111 for Computational Thinking at KCTCS which is transcribed as Intro to programming. I received COS-213 for C++ Programming at Straighterline. COS-101 should be an Intro to Computers course. I received this credit for CLEP Intro to Information Systems.
sanantone Wrote:OP: Are you planning to major in something that requires a programming course? If so, I can definitely see why you would not want it to be COS-101.

Not exactly. I'm after a BA Nat Sci/Math, but have grad school in mind. At least one of the programs I'm interested in prefers undergrad coursework in programming, so I'd like it on my transcripts as such. If I have time this summer, I may just knock out SL's C++ regardless of how this course gets transcribed (since I'll be paying SL subscription for microbio anyway). None of this programming stuff fits into my major as planned and I'm just fine with that. There are other courses I want to take which will satisfy the major, so this isn't about filling reqs as it is how it will look on a transcript down the line.

lavagirl Wrote:TESC transcribed for me Straighterline C++ programming as COS-213 , Penn Foster 's Intro to Programming as COS -111.
UptonSinclair Wrote:I just look at my recently audited transcript. I received COS-111 for Computational Thinking at KCTCS which is transcribed as Intro to programming. I received COS-213 for C++ Programming at Straighterline. COS-101 should be an Intro to Computers course. I received this credit for CLEP Intro to Information Systems.

This is just what I wanted to hear! Thanks to both of you!

cookderosa Wrote:... I mean do you want to take it anyway or is it really important that it fit in a certain spot? ...

I actually enrolled at this school prior to learning about TESC. I didn't settle on a TESC plan until after the drop date at the local B&M school, so I'm sticking it through.
The grad school will more than likely require your community college transcript. It really doesn't matter how TESC transfers the course.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,583 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,419 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,158 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,955 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,293 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,743 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,699 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Think I'm Going For Associate in Arts (general studies) at TESC RA808 110 11,146 08-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Last Post: RA808
  TESC Liberal Arts Capstone Review hornj 13 6,774 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Last Post: mabby
  TESC BA Psychology lovewins 5 1,944 07-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77