Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC courses & Books
For those of you who have taken courses with TESC... I know they have the syllabus you can preview on the course description which includes a book list. Did you find those to be the books you needed for the course? My husband has two classes starting up on the 26th. Trying to figure out if I could go ahead and order them on amazon (I was happily surprised at how cheap they all were!) or if he should wait until he's actually in the class? I'd just hate if they had an assignment due quickly after start up and he didn't have the books already. :leaving:
[SIZE="1"]Proud military wife & SAHM
Intro to Sociology - 63[/SIZE]
This is my son's second term with TESC. So far, his books have matched what is on the preview syllabus -- confirmed by going to the TESC bookstore website and checking what they have there. I wonder how often TESC changes textbooks? Do they review textbook selection once a year? Or do they change texts anytime on a case by case basis?
Hi Sayboom,

It's good that you asked. I would check for the required edition on the MBS website and order my books through a cheaper source (amazon, half.com...etc). IMO, having the correct edition does matter on courses. I was told otherwise in the beginning; that you could purchase an edition behind to save money. This is not always a good idea because the textbook cases change so do facts that could be used on quizzes/exams. It's best to have your books available before course begins. Access to the course is usually given a few days prior to the official start date. He should start checking on the 19-20th. The weeks are Monday-Sunday, the first written assignment is usually due the first Sunday. If an OL course discussion posts can be as early as Wednesday.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
I'm only in my first semester, but my books all matched up. They have to, otherwise you would have to wait until the classes start to order, when they command you to have it the first week.

And I totally agree about the pricing! $130 (including shipping) for 5 courses, all current editions! At CC it usually was about $200 for 3/4 courses buying old editions for all classes.
TESC Criminal Justice BA '12
B&M Civil Engineering BS (In Progress)
I echo bricabrac. On the main TESC home page (Thomas Edison State College only, the link does not appear on most of the sub-pages), at the top in tiny print is Information for: Current Students... Click the Current Students link, scroll down to MBS Direct Book Store, find your term and classes, and get the ISBN numbers (or for the custom packages, collect all the info you can on the specific text, edition, publishing year, etc). You'll save hundreds of dollars by shopping them elsewhere, but have the correct editions which can be important. Some courses use the case studies - one of my current courses has - and as bricabrac said, case studies are one of the more likely pieces of information to change from one edition to another. Having an outdated edition may make it difficult to complete assignments. Shopping at ecampus, abebooks, amazon, Barnes & Noble (believe it or not, some of the books are reasonable through them if you need a guarantee that text inserts like CDs or supplement publisher inserts will be inside), or some of the various rental groups (I like cengagebrain) will save you a lot.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,392 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,058 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,053 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Liberal Studies General Coursework won't be filled by BUS or CIS courses? posabsolute 5 1,709 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  CIS vs COS courses for a BALS concentration in CS at TESU jeffreymb 1 1,220 07-25-2018, 10:37 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,588 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU Psychology courses & grad school prospects. advancedmemetics 5 1,712 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,493 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  TEEX Courses at TESU BSLIONS 25 6,683 06-11-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: maplefu
  Excelsior Ethics courses radconjohn 10 2,985 06-01-2018, 12:28 AM
Last Post: dfrecore