Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC degree plan
After all of my transcripts arrived at TESC, it looks like I have 126 credits, but still have a ways to go to fulfill the necessary requirements. I am pretty sure the BA LS is the quickest route.

These are the requirements that I need to meet, with my planned source of credit in square brackets:

ENC-102 [SL English Composition II ]
Math [SL Business Statistics or Statistics]
Intellectual and Practical Skills [??? TEEX ???]
Diversity or Global Literacy [????]
Responsible Ethical Leadership [?? SL Principles of Management]
Personal and Social Responsibility Elective [?? SL Personal Finance]
11 credits of Gen Ed [SL Western Civ I, Western Civ II, American Government, US History II]

Any help is appreciated. I am outside the country at the moment, and would like to avoid going to a testing center for CLEP/DSST.

I have to say I am eerked that I don't fulfill the "diversity or global literacy" requirement when I have excess credit that has not been applied, which is simply labelled "MSC Military Intelligence" or "MSC Military Science", but definitely covers topics of other cultures, and certainly made me globally "literate". When I pay the enrollment fee should I request that my excess credit be reviewed again? I think I will anyways, but just wondering if other folks have had these issues in the past. I have a feeling it won't matter, because if the wonder-workers here give the thumbs up to the above plan, I think I will put the jetpack on and finish this in < 2 months (which may be faster than responses from TESC advisors, kidding....sort of).
If you list your current credits and what your future goals are (type of job, graduate school etc) we may be able to help determine what degree would be the fastest and best for your situation. Sanantone has provided an awesome reference list for gen ed credits, please take a look at the following options, and decide which would be best for you.

Sanantone's General Education Options - Degree Forum Wiki

Quote:ENC-102 [SL English Composition II ]
Math [SL Business Statistics or Statistics] I would suggest using ALEKS or Saylor for cost reasons.
Intellectual and Practical Skills [??? TEEX ???] The TEEX courses will not fulfill this requirement. Please see the above link to find a course that will.
Diversity or Global Literacy [????]
Responsible Ethical Leadership [?? SL Principles of Management] Princ of Mgmt will not fulfill this requirement. Please see the above link to find a course that will.
Personal and Social Responsibility Elective [?? SL Personal Finance] Personal Finance will not fulfill this requirement. Please see the above link to find a course that will.
11 credits of Gen Ed [SL Western Civ I, Western Civ II, American Government, US History II]
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
defscarlett Wrote:If you list your current credits and what your future goals are (type of job, graduate school etc) we may be able to help determine what degree would be the fastest and best for your situation. Sanantone has provided an awesome reference list for gen ed credits, please take a look at the following options, and decide which would be best for you.

Sanantone's General Education Options - Degree Forum Wiki

Thanks, I have looked at Sanantone's plans and they have been useful. Anything that requires me to go to a test center (CLEP, DSST, ECE) is a nogo. I have gone through all of the possible degrees in the student portal, and my prospects are a BA in Humanities or a BA in Liberal Studies. The BALS is less strict with specific credits, so that is what I am focusing on. After this, I plan to enter a post-baccalaureate program.

Revised after reviewing Sanantone's wiki:

ENC-102 [SL English Composition II ]
Math [SL Business Statistics or the new Saylor/SL Statistics]
Intellectual and Practical Skills [SL Introduction to c++]
Diversity or Global Literacy [SL Introduction to world religions]
Responsible Ethical Leadership [SL Business Ethics]
Personal and Social Responsibility[??? Still unsure, didn’t see it here.]
11 credits of Gen Ed [SL Western Civ I, Introduction to Philosophy, American Government, US History II]

Thanks!
Not knowing specifically what courses you have, some of my suggestions may be off.

Outis Wrote:ENC-102 [SL English Composition II ]
Math [SL Business Statistics or the new Saylor/SL Statistics]
Intellectual and Practical Skills [SL Introduction to c++] Based on your skill level I would also consider taking the TECEP CIS 107, It's an easy test and can be taken with ProctorU, I've heard the C++ course is difficult
Personal and Social Responsibility[??? Still unsure, didn’t see it here.]This can be anything in the Diversity or Global Literacy or Responsible Ethical Leadership category. I fulfilled mine using SL Anthropology
11 credits of Gen Ed [SL Western Civ I, Introduction to Philosophy, American Government, US History II]I would still strongly consider taking ALEKS courses to fulfill the remaining requirment as well as your math requirement. ALEKS requires no proctor and you just complete the pie until you hit 70%. This can be done very quickly based on how good you are with math and cheaply $20/mo All courses included will get you 12 credit hours total

Thanks!
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
Thanks! The Computer Concepts and Applications TECEP will be a lot quicker that the Zyante/SL c++ course. Very good advice, will heed. I will be going the SL/Saylor route for Statistics, the $25 option. I didn't like the ALEKS format, but I deal with dyscalculia, so it's not you, it's me baby.

Revision after defscarlett's advice + Sanantone's wiki:

ENC-102 [SL English Composition II or TECEP ENC-102 ]
Math [Saylor/SL Statistics]
Intellectual and Practical Skills [TECEP CIS 107]
Personal and Social Responsibility[SL Anthropology]
11 credits of Gen Ed [SL Western Civ I, Introduction to Philosophy, American Government, US History II]

How's this look? I am about to pull the trigger and send TESC a boatload of cash, but before I do I want to make sure my plan is good to go.
Outis Wrote:Thanks! The Computer Concepts and Applications TECEP will be a lot quicker that the Zyante/SL c++ course. Very good advice, will heed. I will be going the SL/Saylor route for Statistics, the $25 option. I didn't like the ALEKS format, but I deal with dyscalculia, so it's not you, it's me baby.

Revision after defscarlett's advice + Sanantone's wiki:

ENC-102 [SL English Composition II or TECEP ENC-102 ]
Math [Saylor/SL Statistics]
Intellectual and Practical Skills [TECEP CIS 107]
Personal and Social Responsibility[SL Anthropology]

How's this look? I am about to pull the trigger and send TESC a boatload of cash, but before I do I want to make sure my plan is good to go.

I don't think stats counts as the math requirement, but I'm not as up to date on TESC gen eds as I used to be. Maybe someone else can confirm?
Unfortunately, Stats does not count for the math requirement. Saylor (not Straighterline) Beginning Algebra counts as MAT-121 College Algebra at TESC, though, if ALEKS doesn't work for you. It is a very Beginning Algebra sort of class. An even better option would be the TECEP for MAT-105 Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics. Good luck!
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
defscarlett Wrote:Not knowing specifically what courses you have, some of my suggestions may be off.

I didn't make a Personal and Social Responsibility Elective category because any diversity or ethics course will work. Was there recently a possible change with the TEEX courses counting as Intellectual and Practical Skills or was that something else?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Thank you sanantone, KayV, cookderosa, defscarlett, and all of the regulars at DF.

I managed to scrape by the initial Intermediate Algebra ALEKS assessment with a 71%, so my math credit is completed. I'm currently taking the capstone course, along with 7 TECEP's to meet residency requirements. This should be my last undergrad semester. I will end up finishing my BA two years after leaving the service, and have used less than 10% of my GI Bill benefits. If I would have found this awesome community beforehand, I could have saved even more time and money. But that's water under the bridge. I am going to try and pay it forward by reporting my TECEP experiences.

Thanks DF!
Outstanding!!! Congratulations on getting your plan set out, that's half the battle imo, because once you can see the goal post- you just have to work your plan. Smile
What are your plans for your GI Bill $? Grad school perhaps?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,159 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,822 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,622 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,753 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,946 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,939 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,305 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,656 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero