Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC does not accept ALEKS Beginning Algebra.
cookderosa Wrote:It's college level remedial. Let's say you walked into your CC and took their ASSET or COMPASS placement exam. It said you were ready for ENG101 but did not score highly enough to take the minimum college level math class (MAT102 or similar). In that case, you would take ALEKS Beginning Algebra as COLLEGE LEVEL REMEDIAL for college credit. After successful completion, you could go ahead and show on your transcript that you have either a) tested in at a 100 level math or b) completed a college level remedial math therefor meeting the CC's prereqs for 100 level math. *most colleges absolutely DO have prereqs for 100 level courses in math/English/science if you look.

Oh, and another good example is SL's ENG099 which would do the same thing for someone testing in under ENG101.

Not true for all schools. My wife is attending UMUC and had to take remedial level English (English is her second language) and it is a full credit giving course (EDCP103).
valsacar Wrote:Not true for all schools. My wife is attending UMUC and had to take remedial level English (English is her second language) and it is a full credit giving course (EDCP103).

<sigh>
I give up.
CollegeStudent7 Wrote:On a different note--I just passed the ALEKS Intermediate Algebra assessment with an 81%! Strange, because I assessed at 43% the 1st time for Beginning Algebra.

I just submitted this to ACE and it's pending approval. I did a search and read that one shouldn't start a new course through ALEKS until ACE approves their credit or everything is erased, so I guess I'm just hanging tight.
On to the next thing :-p

Awesome! Smile
[COLOR="Navy"]BS Liberal Arts
Excelsior College

MS Psychology
California Coast University[/color]
Katterina Wrote:Awesome! Smile
Thanks Katterina. Now I'm just waiting for it to be approved and hoping to knock out the 2 other ALEKS that I'm allowed to do. Not looking forward to it, but it's such a cheap way to fill in some of my credits.

Also, on another note. I hope this thread doesn't turn into an argument. I agree it's a drag that my Beg. Algebra wasn't accepted, but I totally understand the points made on here. I put my all into that Intermediate Algebra assessment and, somehow--by the grace of God, I passed, so I'm on my way to having 3 credits for that and while I'm waiting I'm currently studying the awesome A&I Lit. stuff burbuja sent on to me. I just wanted to post this thread to make it crystal clear for others and hope it can spare them some time and be of help.

Btw, since I couldn't find a moderator to change my name, you guys will see me posting as Cherry now :p.
Does TESC accept Aleks Beginning Algebra as general elective credits?
:confused: no
Set yourself goals, not limitations
Beginning Alg used to be listed as "overlapping 3 credits of College Math CLEP". So my question is; if I have Aleks Int Alg can I take CLEP college math and not have an overlap of credits?
Gooberman11 Wrote:Beginning Alg used to be listed as "overlapping 3 credits of College Math CLEP". So my question is; if I have Aleks Int Alg can I take CLEP college math and not have an overlap of credits?

YES!
Beg algebra counts for ZERO credit in any way shape or form at TESC

**21 credits**
You can get full credit for ALL of the following with no overlap/loss/duplication:

3 ALEKS intermediate algebra
6 CLEP college math
3 ALEKS college algebra or ALEKS algebra w/trig or CLEP algebra (choose 1)
3 ALEKS precal or ALEKS trig or CLEP precal (choose 1)
3 ALEKS stats (any one stats class) or DSST stats exam
3 CLEP calculus
I think that might actually be better! I did Beginning Alg (when TESC accepted it) plus Int Alg last year. Starting Pre-Calc now. Do you think I can pass CLEP College Math without too much review????
Gooberman11 Wrote:I think that might actually be better! I did Beginning Alg (when TESC accepted it) plus Int Alg last year. Starting Pre-Calc now. Do you think I can pass CLEP College Math without too much review????

The college math is a liberal arts math type of test. The test has basic algebra, a little bit of geometry, and a little bit of statistics and probablity, I'd suggest brushing up/learning using Khan vids (not the WHOLE SUBJECT of stats, look at the outline you'll see what I mean) and then rock it out. Also, if you're starting precal, you can get 3 credits for college algebra too- ALEKS is a great tool and likely the cheapest at only $20

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,100 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  TESU gen. ed. algebra requirement alternatives? kietro 5 1,720 07-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rckola911
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,176 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  finishing ALEKS? a2jc4life 2 1,021 07-25-2018, 11:52 PM
Last Post: a2jc4life
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,650 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Does Excelsior College/Charter Oak accept TECEP vetvso 1 1,655 05-30-2018, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Beginning my journey coldseal 20 4,418 05-16-2018, 12:27 PM
Last Post: coldseal
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science (Math/ALEKS) question AwardTour 7 2,365 05-03-2018, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Are there any Programming Language courses in Python that TESU will accept? camjenks 2 1,124 04-26-2018, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Sapientes
  TESU doesn't accept ACE transcripts of Study.com courses? jsh1138 35 8,111 03-29-2018, 08:06 AM
Last Post: tekplay99