Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU 16 SH residency fee
I searched for a thread on this but wasn't able to find the specific answer. Is the $3000 residency fee at TESU for any degree program or just for Bachelor degree?I could not find it for the Associate degree but if one is charged twice, would it be easier to change the major to a BA so I only pay it once? Right now I am pursuing the AA first.

In order to satisfy the credit requirement for the Per Credit Tuition Plan, students pursuing an associate degree or a bachelor’s degree must earn 16 semester hours of Thomas Edison State University credit via the University’s Online, Nursing Online, Guided Study or e-Pack courses

(Source: TESU degree requirements page)
So that means one is charged twice if I get an AA first and then a BA later? 
And looks like TECEP doesn't safisfy the 16 credits necessary unless one is in a military program.

I am close to complete my AA but want to know if the 16 credits requirements carries over to the next degree or it is seen as two separate sets and one has to pay the fee again/or/ take 16SH through Edison.

That would be 5 classes plus the TES-100 $4800.

It would make sense if it carried over and so the only fee of $3000 if I go that route is only one rather than double.

So far I have only taken TES-100 through TESU and am only a few classes away from completing Associate degree.

But I'd rather take 16 credits in UL core courses with TESU. That means that I have to change it back to a BA if I want to make the most of the money instead of paying an empty fee.
What do you recommend?
You got that right girlfriend, taking the 16 credits is the way to go. BTW, you only need to pay the residency waiver for the AA and BA, once if you get them both within the year. For example, you get the AA Sept 2020 and get the BA in June 2021, you just pay the one waiver as the BA is within one year (12 months). I would highly suggest to get the AA and BA at the same time so you pay just one graduation fee as well.

If you read my posts (I post a lot) What I have been telling people is to get the AA en route to the BA for free, this can be done at any and all of the Big 3. You should get the courses that you want and meets any of the requirements done (including the Capstone) at TESU. Just get a couple of courses done at Study.com first before you take anything to get a 5% discount on the tuition. Show me your AA plan and which BA are you going for?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • akr680
(02-24-2020, 11:58 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You got that right girlfriend, taking the 16 credits is the way to go.  BTW, you only need to pay the residency waiver for the AA and BA, once if you get them both within the year.  For example, you get the AA Sept 2020 and get the BA in June 2021, you just pay the one waiver as the BA is within one year (12 months).  I would highly suggest to get the AA and BA at the same time so you pay just one graduation fee as well.

If you read my posts (I post a lot) What I have been telling people is to get the AA en route to the BA for free, this can be done at any and all of the Big 3.  You should get the courses that you want and meets any of the requirements done (including the Capstone) at TESU.  Just get a couple of courses done at Study.com first before you take anything to get a 5% discount on the tuition.  Show me your AA plan and which BA are you going for?
Thank you so much!!

They bill the residency fee per term? Or per year?

I am aiming at completing my Associate in Arts around September 2020 and want to pursue a BA in International Studies.

I am completing all my LL ones through CLEP, Sophia, SL and plan to take DSST for UL 

I have 15 credits completed at Community College 
Eng Comp II through SL
Humanities CLEP 6 credits
Human growth & Development CLEP
2 cr from Sophia

Forgot I also completed TES-100 before the rule change.

At this moment I haven't paid for enrollment this year so I am just accumulating all the ACE credits and then plan to either take a course or just pay the enrollment fee to see them on my academic eval.

But the residency fee is really looming now with less than 9 courses away.

And was wondering if changing directly to BA major instead of two separate degrees (AA and BA) is a good move at this point.

Should I just wait to re-enroll? Change to a BA program and then save the last 16 cr for last plus Capstone?

My next CLEP exams are as follow:

English Literature 3cr (electives)

Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 6cr (Info Literacy and humanities category)

US History I 3 cr

And planning to take American Government through InstantCert 3 cr

And Ethics (The Institutes) In Progress

And remaining College Algebra 3cr and Natural Science 4 cr
(02-24-2020, 11:58 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You got that right girlfriend

what in the world

(02-25-2020, 12:09 AM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: They bill the residency fee per term? Or per year?

It's generally per DEGREE, as you pay when you apply to graduate... but it's valid for 12 months, so you can get multiple degrees under one fee if you're quick or time it right (usually an assoc + bach, but possibly a second bach if you time it right)

(02-25-2020, 12:09 AM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: I am aiming at completing my Associate in Arts around September 2020 and want to pursue a BA in International Studies.

I'd recommend you wait until you finish the requirements for both degrees and THEN apply for grad, so it's under one resident fee... unless there is a valid reason (pay increase, hiring req) to offset the difference if you fail to finish the BA within 12 months of your AA.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(02-25-2020, 01:01 AM)jsd Wrote:
(02-24-2020, 11:58 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You got that right girlfriend

what in the world

(02-25-2020, 12:09 AM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: They bill the residency fee per term? Or per year?

It's generally per DEGREE, as you pay when you apply to graduate... but it's valid for 12 months, so you can get multiple degrees under one fee if you're quick or time it right (usually an assoc + bach, but possibly a second bach if you time it right)

(02-25-2020, 12:09 AM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: I am aiming at completing my Associate in Arts around September 2020 and want to pursue a BA in International Studies.

I'd recommend you wait until you finish the requirements for both degrees and THEN apply for grad, so it's under one resident fee... unless there is a valid reason (pay increase, hiring req) to offset the difference if you fail to finish the BA within 12 months of your AA.
IKR?  Big Grin  Lacedonia is the name of a town. 

I guess I wanted to complete the AA and take a hiatus, but now that I see it is not that hard to go the entire way and get a BA, I might consider it, in the end just the BA is good, I know there are some advantages to break it in two parts, but then if one takes 16 cr of TESU courses, does it matter if it is same year or is it good for the entire time it takes to complete the degree? I would like to take some UL classes with them, and wonder if PLA-200 counts as 12 credits, to take those courses all at once. That would shorten the time for the required amount of credits needed to satisfy residency requirements.
You should add the BALS and BA International Studies to your AA, you don't need to finish the BALS but if you're closer to the finish line and it's an easier degree for you, you might consider it instead of the BA International Studies. You can take as long as you need to finish your degree, TESU just requires 16 credits as residency, if it takes 2-3 or X years, so let it be...

Now, in regards to taking so many credits at once, you can try to do so with courses that are very similar in course content, just by looking at the BA International Studies, there are a few courses that can't be completed by test-out-options, it's not as test friendly as you think. I would actually do at least 2 at a time, to see if you can take financial aid as it requires at minimum 6 credits.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(02-25-2020, 11:46 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You should add the BALS and BA International Studies to your AA, you don't need to finish the BALS but if you're closer to the finish line and it's an easier degree for you, you might consider it instead of the BA International Studies.  You can take as long as you need to finish your degree, TESU just requires 16 credits as residency, if it takes 2-3 or X years, so let it be...

Now, in regards to taking so many credits at once, you can try to do so with courses that are very similar in course content, just by looking at the BA International Studies, there are a few courses that can't be completed by test-out-options, it's not as test friendly as you think.  I would actually do at least 2 at a time, to see if you can take financial aid as it requires at minimum 6 credits.
Thanks, I looked at the major as a choice first, not as much as test friendly options, but this gives me a better direction as to forsake the idea of the AA and just get the BA. I had enrolled in International Studies first but then changed the major to AA to make my goal easier to achieve (the BA looked daunting at first, not anymore Big Grin )
(02-25-2020, 01:01 AM)jsd Wrote:

I though we'd learned quite a while ago that it only counts for 1 Bachelor's degree?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore, it looks like it did the thing again where your post didn't come through.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Keep in mind that you must have completed all the 16 credits at TESU first in order to get the residency waiver waived. So if you're going to take the 16 credits through TESU to avoid the waiver there would be no graduating with an associates prior to the bachelor to avoid the residency waiver; since 3 of those TESU credits would be your Capstone course for your bachelor - and by the time you can take that course, you're pretty much done with the bachelor making the associate degree nothing but an add on,
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,975 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,156 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch