Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU AS Math for HS Student
Thank you so very much! My daughters are amazed that someone would take the time to run these evals and share their recommendations! I took lots of notes from your post and have been heavily considering COSC or Excelsior due to the age requirement issue at TESU. She is a sophomore right now and I was seriously interested in the Associates Math for her because it would be in an area she enjoys. She really enjoys having a true plan to work on and she had the benefit of finishing most of HS early. The age requirement and recommendations have led me to try to research a plan with COSC and Excelsior. For a BS...maybe Excelsior BS Natural Sciences with the Bio concentration and then have her work toward a 2nd BS upon graduation. I am trying to make sense of all of those details and then I may reach out for more help. Big Grin  There is so much to consider and am worried that she may lose the benefits of the FL bright Futures Scholarship should she already have a BS.....THANK YOU! Thank you!
(09-28-2020, 09:10 PM)Fountains of Roses Wrote: Thank you so very much! My daughters are amazed that someone would take the time to run these evals and share their recommendations! I took lots of notes from your post and have been heavily considering COSC or Excelsior due to the age requirement issue at TESU. She is a sophomore right now and I was seriously interested in the Associates Math for her because it would be in an area she enjoys. She really enjoys having a true plan to work on and she had the benefit of finishing most of HS early. The age requirement and recommendations have led me to try to research a plan with COSC and Excelsior. For a BS...maybe Excelsior BS Natural Sciences with the Bio concentration and then have her work toward a 2nd BS upon graduation. I am trying to make sense of all of those details and then I may reach out for more help. Big Grin  There is so much to consider and am worried that she may lose the benefits of the FL bright Futures Scholarship should she already have a BS.....THANK YOU! Thank you!

Do you actually have to disclose whether you have a degree or not for scholarships and/or student aid?

It's been a long time since I applied for anything, so I don't remember, but it's worth checking
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
Couldn't find these pages before. COSC has a minimum age requirement of 16: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...ission.php But you also need to have a HS diploma or GED. It sounds like your daughter has no interest in leaving school early; both of you just want the degree as soon as possible.

Excelsior doesn't have a minimum age but does require special permission from the local superintendent for them to admit the student: https://www.excelsior.edu/policy/special...uivalency/

I've also done some looking at the Bright Futures scholarship program. Based on the information at https://blog.prepscholar.com/florida-bri...t-and-more and at https://www.reddit.com/r/ucf/comments/au...nd_degree/ (no if you used the scholarship to get the degree) and also https://www.reddit.com/r/ucf/comments/gc...te_with_a/ (yes, probably, if you didn't really use the scholarship towards the degree) it looks like it's entirely possible to graduate with a bachelor's and still be eligible for the scholarship but it might require some juggling.

If she gets an associate's degree through Excelsior, with the Sophia partnership, she'd need to take at least 12 credits through Excelsior for a total cost of $4920 in credits + $80 technology fee + $130 graduation fee = $5130. Incidentally, the cost is the same for a bachelor's degree. The worst part of an Excelsior degree is that it's much, much harder to plan for than a TESU degree, unfortunately. They accept fewer courses than TESU and they're not exceptionally clear which courses can be used for what degree. And, based on what other members here have said, they won't help you plan at all until you're actively taking an Excelsior course. I'm not saying this to try to discourage you but you do need to be aware that you and your daughter won't be able to easily just roll up and get whatever degree she ultimately chooses.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
If you are sure she is going to go on to become a pharmacist be cautious of her earning a bachelor now - as it is my understanding it requires very specific undergraduate courses (degree).  Once a person has a bachelor they will not be eligible for financial aid (ie: Pell Grant) for a second (bachelor) degree.  I would hate for her to loose out on financial aid because earning a bachelor through this method early on seemed like a low cost option at her young age.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Getting a degree from Excelsior or the like doesn't necessarily prohibit a pharmacy degree later. https://blog.collegevine.com/how-to-beco...gh-school/
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(09-29-2020, 09:27 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Getting a degree from Excelsior or the like doesn't necessarily prohibit a pharmacy degree later. https://blog.collegevine.com/how-to-beco...igh-school

My point was that having an existing bachelor degree (in a non-related field) impacts the ability to obtain financial aid when it comes time to earning the undergraduate credits/degree required for the advanced degree programs.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Fountains of Roses

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 4 84 5 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Intl future student looking for guidance James4 6 297 Yesterday, 04:16 PM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 210 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 190 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Overseas Student default 8 230 04-14-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  TESU - BA CS + BS CIS ahmedeo0510@gmail.com 12 385 04-03-2024, 12:34 PM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 453 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 1,016 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre
  LU to TESU or UMPI - please help! CharisandJon 17 781 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BA in Communications at TESU Deetzin 2 225 03-12-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP