Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Accepted UL Courses w/out Essay Requirement
Like a lot of people here, I was caught a little flat footed by TESU's change in outside credit policy recently.  Fortunately, I only have 6 more outside credits to bring in to finish my degree.  The problem is they are both upper level and all of the UL courses I can find on study.com seem to require an essay or two and while Iv'e completed many of these recently I seem to be suffering a severe case or writer's block at the moment and can't get them finished (or started for that matter).  Does anyone happen to know of any UL courses offered by study.com (or any other credit provider that allows for remote testing) that are exam only and have no essay requirement? Many thanks
What degree? What courses are you wanting to bring in from SDC?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-12-2021, 02:20 PM)cifwt3377 Wrote: Like a lot of people here, I was caught a little flat footed by TESU's change in outside credit policy recently.  Fortunately, I only have 6 more outside credits to bring in to finish my degree.  The problem is they are both upper level and all of the UL courses I can find on study.com seem to require an essay or two and while Iv'e completed many of these recently I seem to be suffering a severe case or writer's block at the moment and can't get them finished (or started for that matter).  Does anyone happen to know of any UL courses offered by study.com (or any other credit provider that allows for remote testing) that are exam only and have no essay requirement? Many thanks
Agree, an UL course should not be defined by essays alone. I am in the same boat. Slowed down by SDC essays and looking for other options.
Hey cifwt3377!

Have you looked at Coopersmith yet? https://www.coopersmithcc.net/shop/

OldManOfTheSea
Coopersmith and Davar are NCCRS, they're mainly just exams - and some of their exams have short written answers, there are no assignments. Take the UL TEEX Death Investigation course as that doesn't have any written assignments either. You can do a few TEEX Lower Level if you wanted to get a BALS with Social Science concentration.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-12-2021, 06:42 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Coopersmith and Davar are NCCRS, they're mainly just exams - and some of their exams have short written answers, there are no assignments.  Take the UL TEEX Death Investigation course as that doesn't have any written assignments either.  You can do a few TEEX Lower Level if you wanted to get a BALS with Social Science concentration.

How do you get TEEX courses sent to TESU now? I didn't see any badges for them in Acclaim?

https://www.youracclaim.com/organization...ice/badges
(01-12-2021, 07:53 PM)dbinghamjr Wrote:
(01-12-2021, 06:42 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Coopersmith and Davar are NCCRS, they're mainly just exams - and some of their exams have short written answers, there are no assignments.  Take the UL TEEX Death Investigation course as that doesn't have any written assignments either.  You can do a few TEEX Lower Level if you wanted to get a BALS with Social Science concentration.

How do you get TEEX courses sent to TESU now? I didn't see any badges for them in Acclaim?

https://www.youracclaim.com/organization...ice/badges
I saw a form to fill out on TEEX, for credit transfer, $10, I believe you scan it, send it back and pay the fee and TEEX will send the credits to TESU. Not sure if they emailed it to me upon request. Wound up not needing it as COSC won't take cybersecurity courses.
(01-12-2021, 02:20 PM)cifwt3377 Wrote: Like a lot of people here, I was caught a little flat footed by TESU's change in outside credit policy recently.  Fortunately, I only have 6 more outside credits to bring in to finish my degree.  The problem is they are both upper level and all of the UL courses I can find on study.com seem to require an essay or two and while Iv'e completed many of these recently I seem to be suffering a severe case or writer's block at the moment and can't get them finished (or started for that matter).  Does anyone happen to know of any UL courses offered by study.com (or any other credit provider that allows for remote testing) that are exam only and have no essay requirement? Many thanks

While it isn't universally the case, most upper-level proper college courses are going to require at least some level of writing. IMO this is a good thing as you will want to get as much practice writing and getting used to academic style (MLA/APA) as you can before starting your capstone course. They have weekly writing assignments and you'll want to be at the top of your game for them.

I used to be pretty gunshy about essays as well considering I hadn't written anything like that in a couple of decades. I ended up going back to retake English Comp I and II as well and a research & writing course to get more comfortable with it before I started on my UL courses. I'm very glad that I did. I was way more comfortable after that. It didn't really matter for the UL courses since those were pretty easy, but it really helped for the capstone and all the academic writing I had to do as part of my master's degree.

So, IMO, you should not try to avoid it... more practice is always a good thing.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • ss20ts
(01-13-2021, 05:19 AM)Merlin Wrote:

While it isn't universally the case, most upper-level proper college courses are going to require at least some level of writing. IMO this is a good thing as you will want to get as much practice writing and getting used to academic style (MLA/APA) as you can before starting your capstone course. They have weekly writing assignments and you'll want to be at the top of your game for them.

I used to be pretty gunshy about essays as well considering I hadn't written anything like that in a couple of decades. I ended up going back to retake English Comp I and II as well and a research & writing course to get more comfortable with it before I started on my UL courses. I'm very glad that I did. I was way more comfortable after that. It didn't really matter for the UL courses since those were pretty easy, but it really helped for the capstone and all the academic writing I had to do as part of my master's degree.

So, IMO, you should not try to avoid it... more practice is always a good thing.
Agree.

Although, correct me if I am wrong, some say the capstone, despite more writing involved, differs a lot from the essays on SDC, in that the capstone is a topic of your choice, you have more freedom in what to write, the instructor guides you, and it has a structure, a time window you have to follow to get the work done. Plus if you print out the syllabus you can just about start before you enroll and then just revise it as you go, with guidance from instructor.
(01-13-2021, 05:19 AM)Merlin Wrote: I ended up going back to retake English Comp I and II as well and a research & writing course to get more comfortable with it before I started on my UL courses.

Merlin, what research and writing course did you take and where was it? Any other suggestions?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 375 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 856 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre
  LU to TESU or UMPI - please help! CharisandJon 17 634 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BA in Communications at TESU Deetzin 2 170 03-12-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Coopersmith accepted at non-partnership schools? hallowoptimism 3 196 02-28-2024, 12:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSBA CIS Area of Study @ TESU Vin 21 1,255 02-09-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Course/Degree Planning - Liberal Studies, BA - TESU drp16 4 382 01-31-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: drp16
Question My degree plan for TESU BA in CS; thoughts/recs? bruh 65 6,069 01-11-2024, 06:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU BACS planing help smtGate 8 555 01-04-2024, 10:04 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Business Core questions Yenisei 8 545 12-07-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Yenisei