Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Accepted UL Courses w/out Essay Requirement
(01-13-2021, 08:17 AM)Seagull Wrote: Although, correct me if I am wrong, some say the capstone, despite more writing involved, differs a lot from the essays on SDC, in that the capstone is a topic of your choice, you have more freedom in what to write, the instructor guides you, and it has a structure, a time window you have to follow to get the work done. Plus if you print out the syllabus you can just about start before you enroll and then just revise it as you go, with guidance from instructor.

It depends on which capstone you're taking. In the liberal arts capstone, you're researching your own topic that has been approved by the instructor and you spend the term working on it a bit at a time. For the business capstone, you are assigned a series of case studies that you have to analyze and prepare written reports for. You also have a final project based that requires you to develop your own case study, analysis report, and business recommendation based on your own research into a real-world company assigned by the instructor. Well, you get to pick from 3 options, but they are selected by the instructor.

So, yes they are different than the essays from SDC, but each requires the same kinds of techniques to be successful. The capstone ones are just far more in-depth.

(01-13-2021, 02:01 PM)graduatesoon Wrote: Merlin, what research and writing course did you take and where was it? Any other suggestions?

From StraighterLine I took:
  • English Composition I
From Study.com I took:
  • English Composition II
  • Library Science: Information Literacy
  • Advanced Technical Writing
Both of the English Comp courses covered basic research but mostly focused on academic essay writing. The Information Literacy class was primarily focused on academic research. The Technical Writing course covered research, business & technical writing, and a lot more –– I found it to be very helpful for the business capstone course. Plus all three courses got me one step closer to 120 credits.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • graduatesoon
(01-14-2021, 03:27 AM)Merlin Wrote: For the business capstone, you are assigned a series of case studies that you have to analyze and prepare written reports for. You also have a final project based that requires you to develop your own case study, analysis report, and business recommendation based on your own research into a real-world company assigned by the instructor. Well, you get to pick from 3 options, but they are selected by the instructor.

So, yes they are different than the essays from SDC, but each requires the same kinds of techniques to be successful. The capstone ones are just far more in-depth.

(01-13-2021, 02:01 PM)graduatesoon Wrote: Merlin, what research and writing course did you take and where was it? Any other suggestions?

From StraighterLine I took:
  • English Composition I
From Study.com I took:
  • English Composition II
  • Library Science: Information Literacy
  • Advanced Technical Writing
Both of the English Comp courses covered basic research but mostly focused on academic essay writing. The Information Literacy class was primarily focused on academic research. The Technical Writing course covered research, business & technical writing, and a lot more –– I found it to be very helpful for the business capstone course. Plus all three courses got me one step closer to 120 credits.
Thank you.
Maybe we can use the ACCLAIM / CREDLY / ACE upgrade for a case study.
Any suggestions for a title?
For BUS-421 final paper you don't get to pick your own topic. You get to pick from 1 of 2 or 3.

If you're talking about something else, my apologies.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
(01-14-2021, 06:50 PM)graduatesoon Wrote: Maybe we can use the ACCLAIM / CREDLY / ACE upgrade for a case study.

For the business capstone, the teacher provides the list of real-world companies you can pick from and the specific scenario you have to address in your case study and reports. You get to select which company you use, but the list is pretty short, like 3 companies.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(01-12-2021, 02:36 PM)rachel83az Wrote: What degree? What courses are you wanting to bring in from SDC?

BALS, I'm not really partial to the type of course but I am really hoping to avoid anything arithmetic related.

(01-12-2021, 02:46 PM)Seagull Wrote:
(01-12-2021, 02:20 PM)cifwt3377 Wrote: Like a lot of people here, I was caught a little flat footed by TESU's change in outside credit policy recently.  Fortunately, I only have 6 more outside credits to bring in to finish my degree.  The problem is they are both upper level and all of the UL courses I can find on study.com seem to require an essay or two and while Iv'e completed many of these recently I seem to be suffering a severe case or writer's block at the moment and can't get them finished (or started for that matter).  Does anyone happen to know of any UL courses offered by study.com (or any other credit provider that allows for remote testing) that are exam only and have no essay requirement? Many thanks
Agree, an UL course should not be defined by essays alone. I am in the same boat. Slowed down by SDC essays and looking for other options.

I'm not sure, but I assume their are probably several math courses that are UL that won't require an essay.  Personally I'm terrible with numbers so that won't work for me but it might be an option for you.

(01-12-2021, 06:08 PM)OldManOfTheSea Wrote: Hey cifwt3377!

Have you looked at Coopersmith yet? https://www.coopersmithcc.net/shop/

OldManOfTheSea

Just had a look at the link, turns out there are several courses they offer that would work perfectly, thanks.

(01-12-2021, 06:42 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Coopersmith and Davar are NCCRS, they're mainly just exams - and some of their exams have short written answers, there are no assignments.  Take the UL TEEX Death Investigation course as that doesn't have any written assignments either.  You can do a few TEEX Lower Level if you wanted to get a BALS with Social Science concentration.

Thanks, turns out Coopersmith has many UL courses that fit the bill.
If you go with Coopersmith's Foundations of Stress Management, please review this post about potential red tape to get tesu registrar's office to have it accurately count on UL for BALS https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid312194

easy for them to resolve over here for us, but had to email and ask for it to get done. and it's possible it will not be an issue with you.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 370 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 853 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre
  LU to TESU or UMPI - please help! CharisandJon 17 628 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BA in Communications at TESU Deetzin 2 169 03-12-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Coopersmith accepted at non-partnership schools? hallowoptimism 3 193 02-28-2024, 12:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSBA CIS Area of Study @ TESU Vin 21 1,254 02-09-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Course/Degree Planning - Liberal Studies, BA - TESU drp16 4 382 01-31-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: drp16
Question My degree plan for TESU BA in CS; thoughts/recs? bruh 65 6,064 01-11-2024, 06:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU BACS planing help smtGate 8 553 01-04-2024, 10:04 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Business Core questions Yenisei 8 541 12-07-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Yenisei