Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU- Admission
Good day everyone,

Does anyone in here know what the advantages/disadvantages of enrolling with TESU as a regular student as appose to a military student? I am a few courses away from submitting my admission application.

Thank you very much in advance.
It is MUCH better to apply as military.

1) TECEP's count for residency (so take 6 TECEP's + capstone + cornerstone) and no residency waiver is required ($450 for 6 LL TECEP's vs. $2,200 for RW)
2) Tuition is less ($250/cr vs. $375/cr)
3) No application fee ($75 saved)
Overall, you save $2,575! It's $1,950 for you, which includes 24cr vs. $4,525 for everyone else, which includes 6cr.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-12-2019, 10:20 AM)dfrecore Wrote: It is MUCH better to apply as military.

1) TECEP's count for residency (so take 6 TECEP's + capstone + cornerstone) and no residency waiver is required ($450 for 6 LL TECEP's vs. $2,200 for RW)
Overall, you save $2,575!  It's $1,950 for you, which includes 24cr vs. $4,525 for everyone else, which includes 6cr.

My brother is in the military and I've been trying to convince to at least apply to TESU. Good info.

No residency wavier? Doesn't the military still have to pay the residency wavier fee if they don't have at least 24 TESU credits? I guess it makes sense they would use TECEP's but they aren't exempt from it altogether.
(02-12-2019, 11:43 AM)natshar Wrote:

Overall, you save $2,575!  It's $1,950 for you, which includes 24cr vs. $4,525 for everyone else, which includes 6cr.

My brother is in the military and I've been trying to convince to at least apply to TESU. Good info.

No residency wavier? Doesn't the military still have to pay the residency wavier fee if they don't have at least 24 TESU credits? I guess it makes sense they would use TECEP's but they aren't exempt from it altogether.

If you take 6 TECEP's, then you don't have to pay the RW.  I guess you could choose to pay the RW instead, but why would anyone do that?  Especially if you need a lot of credits anyway.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • natshar
(02-12-2019, 02:07 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

If you take 6 TECEP's, then you don't have to pay the RW.  I guess you could choose to pay the RW instead, but why would anyone do that?  Especially if you need a lot of credits anyway.

True. I just wanted to make sure I had the right info. 

I'm trying to convince my brother to apply to TESU asap especially with all the changes going on. 

He has less than two years left in the service and isn't re-enlisting after that. Due to him being Navy Nuclear the chart on the TESU website says for his job, he could have up 89 credits for military training! I convinced him to sign up for his first CLEP a few months ago with me. And with less than 24 hours notice that he was even taking the CLEP and no studying of any kind he got a 75 on the information systems CLEP. He also got a 99 on the ASVAB on the first try. I know he could easily pass a whole bunch of CLEP's and DSST's with little to no studying and if he doesn't pass them, it won't cost him anything.  

I'm trying to convince him if he got his undergrad now, then he could use his GI Bill for grad school. But I guess you can't control other peoples lives for them.
(02-12-2019, 02:54 PM)natshar Wrote:

I'm trying to convince my brother to apply to TESU asap especially with all the changes going on. 

He has less than two years left in the service and isn't re-enlisting after that. Due to him being Navy Nuclear the chart on the TESU website says for his job, he could have up 89 credits for military training! I convinced him to sign up for his first CLEP a few months ago with me. And with less than 24 hours notice that he was even taking the CLEP and no studying of any kind he got a 75 on the information systems CLEP. He also got a 99 on the ASVAB on the first try. I know he could easily pass a whole bunch of CLEP's and DSST's with little to no studying and if he doesn't pass them, it won't cost him anything.  

I'm trying to convince him if he got his undergrad now, then he could use his GI Bill for grad school. But I guess you can't control other peoples lives for them.

I also recommend him take as many CLEPs and DSSTs as possible and apply to TESU. I have nearly identical starting stats as him. If he does decide to go for it you can always message me for details on my degree plan. He could even go for a BSTS with ease.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • natshar
(02-12-2019, 03:20 PM)MNomadic Wrote:

I also recommend him take as many CLEPs and DSSTs as possible and apply to TESU. I have nearly identical starting stats as him. If he does decide to go for it you can always message me for details on my degree plan. He could even go for a BSTS with ease.

Good to know. I'll keep that in mind for sure. 

As soon as he gets back from underway I'll call him and get him to least apply to TESU. While I'm pretty sure he could get the requirements done before leaving the military, he would probably have to wait until after he gets out to do the cornerstone and capstone. The reason being is because in his short time left it includes a six-month deployment and tons of shorter underways as well. You can't exactly take an online course when you are under a submarine. I'm not sure how that effects things with military tuition and such since he wouldn't be military anymore.
(02-12-2019, 03:38 PM)natshar Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 03:20 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 11:43 AM)natshar Wrote: My brother is in the military and I've been trying to convince to at least apply to TESU. Good info.

Good to know. I'll keep that in mind for sure. 

As soon as he gets back from underway I'll call him and get him to least apply to TESU. While I'm pretty sure he could get the requirements done before leaving the military, he would probably have to wait until after he gets out to do the cornerstone and capstone. The reason being is because in his short time left it includes a six-month deployment and tons of shorter underways as well. You can't exactly take an online course when you are under a submarine. I'm not sure how that effects things with military tuition and such since he wouldn't be military anymore.

True. I know the struggle of college while out to sea. Basically, if he can get military tuition assistance approved by his command, he wont be able to use it for online courses but he could use it for TECEPs. He could go ahead with doing as many DSSTs/CLEPs/TECEPs as possible. Downloading study materials to bring with him out to sea, studying and taking the test when he gets back.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I know it's hard to convince some people.  You can lead a horse to water...

But, in addition to CLEP and DSST exams, he might also do NPACE, where he actually takes courses while on the sub - with teachers on board and everything.  http://www.ctcd.edu/ctcd/assets/NavyColl...EP2016.pdf

If you want help doing a degree plan for him, I'm happy to give you one.  I'll attach the BALS, to at least let him see the GE portion that most likely isn't covered by his military stuff (but is easily covered by CLEP & DSST).  I would seriously take as many of those as possible, even if he goes over.  I have an older Military one for the BALS too.

Attached Files
.pdf   TESU 2016 BALS - Military with Free CLEP & DSST.pdf (Size: 45.8 KB / Downloads: 6)
.pdf   TESU BALS.pdf (Size: 60.01 KB / Downloads: 7)
(02-12-2019, 08:11 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I know it's hard to convince some people.  You can lead a horse to water...

But, in addition to CLEP and DSST exams, he might also do NPACE, where he actually takes courses while on the sub - with teachers on board and everything.  http://www.ctcd.edu/ctcd/assets/NavyColl...EP2016.pdf

If you want help doing a degree plan for him, I'm happy to give you one.  I'll attach the BALS, to at least let him see the GE portion that most likely isn't covered by his military stuff (but is easily covered by CLEP & DSST).  I would seriously take as many of those as possible, even if he goes over.  I have an older Military one for the BALS too.

Thank you for the information.

I'm thinking the BSTS (or similar) would be best for him. He is more of a math/science/tech/business guy and doesn't want he calls a "fluffy liberal arts degree" and so I don't think could ever convince him to do a BALS, plus I'm guessing the BSTS would count most or all of the AOS done.

Either way, I'm getting to apply to TESU ASAP I think he may have already missed the TES-101 opportunity.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Application Fee Waiver ECH90 2 2,622 09-18-2019, 11:01 PM
Last Post: ECH90
  AF Commission with TESU Degree TESUAF 15 4,349 08-30-2019, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Military waiver for residency charge at tesu Zachcleigh 4 2,257 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ECH90
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,358 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Engineering Technology programs: Excelsior vs TESU MNomadic 13 9,512 02-21-2018, 06:36 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU instead of Excelsior Srbinoki 6 3,333 06-26-2017, 05:49 PM
  Best Options at TESU? Residency vs Waiver for Military Dependent. Silly_Me 18 5,316 06-13-2017, 01:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Waiving Application Fee for Military Iamtehking 0 1,619 04-21-2017, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Iamtehking
  Army MLT - ASAST or BSAST at TESU? MLTtoMLS 11 4,483 01-20-2017, 10:19 AM
  TESU Mat115 Jwh1964 1 1,288 07-08-2016, 04:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77