Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Advisor Telling me Wrong Information?
I just got off the phone with an advisor and she told me some questionable information 

For starters, I have a BS in Chemistry and I have roughly 70 credits bio/chem in undergrad + grad courses without getting a degree taken AFTER the BS. 

I'm looking to get a second BA in Biology + Chemistry (2 AOS, 1 Degree) and AS Math + AS Business Admin.

For context, the Academic Evaluator tool says I have all the courses for the BA Biology except for microbiology lab (1 credit).  

The advisor told me that the first BS would waive the general education/electives.

HOWEVER, she said I would not be able to transfer any of the credits from the first degree to the second degree. 

So she said I would have to retake general chemistry, general biology, etc because it was in the first degree. She also said that I can only transfer in 24 credits into the AOS and all of those credits need to be NEW (taken after first degree). 

According to her, if I want to do 2 AOS, they would combine them (bio AOS + Comp Sci AOS = 60 + 45 = 105 credits) and I can ONLY transfer 24 out of 105 of those credits. 

When I questioned her, she referred me to AWARDS OF DEGREE POLICY page.

Earning a Second or Successive Baccalaureate Degree
- Students who have earned a baccalaureate degree from TESU or an accredited institution recognized under the Thomas Edison State University Transfer Credit Policy and wish to earn an additional baccalaureate degree must:

Complete a minimum of 24 credits including the required capstone for the degree. These credits must be in the area of study and/or core of the degree. These credits must be earned after the date the most recent degree, regardless of academic level, was conferred.

However, I read this as "if you want a second degree, you have to take 24 credits from ANYWHERE as long as it's after degree graduation". I also read somewhere that the maximum transfer from 4 year RA is 113 credits. Can anybody help me confirm whether or not this advisor is telling me the wrong information?

She also told me that I would not be able to work on the BA Bio + Comp Sci at the same time as the AS Math. She said I would have to complete the BA first, pay $300 for graduation, apply for AS Math, take 24 NEW credits (she said my calc 1+2 and other courses from my chem degree don't count. I have to retake them), and then pay another $300 for graduation 2
Quote:She also told me that I would not be able to work on the BA Bio + Comp Sci at the same time as the AS Math. She said I would have to complete the BA first, pay $300 for graduation, apply for AS Math, take 24 NEW credits (she said my calc 1+2 and other courses from my chem degree don't count. I have to retake them), and then pay another $300 for graduation 2

This is wrong unless your grades in those classes were too low for the area of study.

Is your goal still to get into medical school? https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ed-Student
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
(11-02-2022, 07:42 PM)carrythenothing Wrote:
Quote:She also told me that I would not be able to work on the BA Bio + Comp Sci at the same time as the AS Math. She said I would have to complete the BA first, pay $300 for graduation, apply for AS Math, take 24 NEW credits (she said my calc 1+2 and other courses from my chem degree don't count. I have to retake them), and then pay another $300 for graduation 2

This is wrong unless your grades in those classes were too low for the area of study.

Is your goal still to get into medical school? https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ed-Student
Thanks I'm going to schedule an appointment with a different advisor. Most of my grades should transfer over since most of them are C or over. 

And yes. I'm planning to start medical school August 2024. So I have some time to kill and Ive always wanted to learn comp Sci. I would only need roughly 32 credits to get the BA Bio + Comp Sci (mostly SDC courses). 

I've been taking a ton of ONU (before they end) and ASU courses to bring up my undergraduate GPA before I apply in May 2023
(11-02-2022, 08:13 PM)Captainrekt000 Wrote: Thanks I'm going to schedule an appointment with a different advisor. Most of my grades should transfer over since most of them are C or over.

The only time you'll need to speak with an advisor is to unlock the capstone course.

Quote:So she said I would have to retake general chemistry, general biology, etc because it was in the first degree. She also said that I can only transfer in 24 credits into the AOS and all of those credits need to be NEW (taken after first degree).

If any of the "new" credits you're referring to were completed before or as part of the MS degree, those aren't considered "new" credits. That policy is based on the most recent degree (not your first degree).
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
(11-02-2022, 08:17 PM)carrythenothing Wrote:
(11-02-2022, 08:13 PM)Captainrekt000 Wrote: Thanks I'm going to schedule an appointment with a different advisor. Most of my grades should transfer over since most of them are C or over.

The only time you'll need to speak with an advisor is to unlock the capstone course.

Quote:So she said I would have to retake general chemistry, general biology, etc because it was in the first degree. She also said that I can only transfer in 24 credits into the AOS and all of those credits need to be NEW (taken after first degree).

If any of the "new" credits you're referring to were completed before or as part of the MS degree, those aren't considered "new" credits. That policy is based on the most recent degree (not your first degree).
I took 39 undergrad credits after my first degree and took 27 credits of a MS but did not finish it
There is exactly one advisor that I've ever heard people speak well about (on a consistent basis)... Multiple people have mentioned Don Stolz as knowing what he's doing. If he's still working for TESU and you can choose him, I would give him a shot.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Basically... You should do the BA Biology/CS instead of Biology/Chem as you already have a BS Chem, I don't see a reason to duplicate the use of those credits (even if they allow it).  Who were you talking to?  These are the two/three people I talk to most at TESU: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid369544

If you want to add the AS CS/Math (and AS Applied Comp Science/Environmental Safety Security Technology) that would work as well.  I suggest taking the 16 residency credits instead of paying the residency fee as you get graded credits, but you should do two terms.  You can take the 16 residency credits with the first associate capstone, then the second term do the final capstone with another set of courses.

Note: You should not only focus on "sciences" as you already have many, but you also need more "liberal arts" courses to show you have the full package.  If you look at Med School admissions, people who specialize in Biology or Biological Sciences in undergrad are second on the list, on top actually are "liberal arts/science" students!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
TESU won't let you get a Chem degree since you already have one - but that's ok, because they don't HAVE a Chemistry degree.

And yes, the advisor is wrong: you need 24cr of NEW credits, in the AoS - but the Bio degree has 45cr required, so there's lots of space to put your new credits. You don't have to retake anything.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-03-2022, 03:47 AM)rachel83az Wrote: There is exactly one advisor that I've ever heard people speak well about (on a consistent basis)... Multiple people have mentioned Don Stolz as knowing what he's doing. If he's still working for TESU and you can choose him, I would give him a shot.

I will further this comment. I used him specifically after getting questionable advice from other advisors. His info was alwys 100% accurate. He also occasionally would say he was not sure on something, but would then check with powers-that-be to get a correct answer. Two friends who recently completed degrees also used Don with the same reliability of his answers and advice.

He also unlocked capstone fo me at about 95 credits due to the speed I was accruing them... without my even asking him to.
[-] The following 1 user Likes studyingfortests's post:
  • rachel83az
(11-03-2022, 08:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote: TESU won't let you get a Chem degree since you already have one - but that's ok, because they don't HAVE a Chemistry degree.

And yes, the advisor is wrong: you need 24cr of NEW credits, in the AoS - but the Bio degree has 45cr required, so there's lots of space to put your new credits.  You don't have to retake anything.

I am pretty sure it was a typo since they referred to Comp Sci in like three different places after that ^^'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,326 9 hours ago
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 526 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 454 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 478 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 258 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,228 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 233 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 375 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 278 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27