Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Alumnus
Hello everyone,

This question is more oriented towards people with work experience who have graduated from TESU. I earned my bachelors in Finance from TESU last year in May. I work in the oil and gas industry as an analyst, started in the customer service department. So far I have been at the same role for more than 2 years. I have tried applying to different roles/companies but haven't gotten any offers. I'm not sure if it's my degree/school that's the issue or something else. Maybe I should get a Masters/MBA from a more recognized school? How has your experience been with career progression after graduating from TESU? Thank you in advance.
It's probably your resume. I would suggest you have a resume expert look it over for any issues. We can get blind to our own mistakes and not see them when reviewing. I think it only costs $50-100 to have someone go over your resume for mistakes and to point out where it could be "tightened up". Some other possible issues:

1. Are you mentioning in your resume that it's an online degree? Don't do that.
2. Does your resume indicate that it only took (for instance) 2 years to earn your degree? Don't put a duration. Explanations of your degree can come later, at the interview stage. But only if they even ask.
3. Do you have relevant industry certifications, such as the CFP? Even if it's not directly relevant to the jobs you want, it may look better if you have it.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jch, jsd, sanantone
You said you weren't getting any offers - are you getting calls for interviews? If so, are you moving to the second interviews? Are the roles similar, or are your trying to break into a new role?

If you're not getting calls at all, and you're apply to jobs in field outside of oil and gas, you may need to neutralize your resume (and use more skill specific keywords vs descriptive tasks).
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

You could do either a CFA or MBA
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/fi...inance.asp
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
@jason29, OP, you may want to provide more details on what you're applying to and what certs, experience, degrees you bring into play.  What jobs have you applied to and how many have you tried applying to?  4, 40, 400, any feedback at all from them, did you do follow up calls?  Are you planning to stay in this industry or were you applying to other industries such as IT?  I suggest updating the resume, brushing up on interview skills, follow up, etc.

A few people previously on both this board and the sister board asked for recommendations on how to customize and modify their resume or CV.  If you have a copy of your resume/CV, just modify your personal details and the company names of the places you've worked for, etc (anything that has a name on it, like your high school)... and post it here.  We can make recommendations but as mentioned it may be better using a service as advised earlier...

You can try to further your education while you're looking to get a pay bump from a new position either in the same company you're working at or jumping ship to something else.  My suggestion is to see which degree/school is your choice and also revisit what jobs or which field you want to get into.  Update us with these details!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Does TESU have a resume writing service for alumni? If not, indeed.com has a pretty affordable option
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vle045's post:
  • rachel83az
(04-24-2022, 09:09 AM)Vle045 Wrote: Does TESU have a resume writing service for alumni?    If not, indeed.com has a pretty affordable option

Good point! They do, now. 

https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/ca...evelopment

https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/ca...nt/resumes
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Dorothy44, jch, sanantone
Here's what I can tell you: It's not the TESU degree that's the problem (in my opinion). When I was job searching, I was getting headhunted and getting at least phone interviews without a degree. I had ~10 years industry experience, with ~5 years management experience. I'll echo everyone else and say you should have someone else look at your resume.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
[-] The following 2 users Like Flelm's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,345 Yesterday, 11:51 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 529 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 456 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 480 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 261 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,234 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 233 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 377 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 279 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27