Hi everyone,

Currently, my area of study for BSBA CIS includes: 

SL C++
SDC Systems Analysis and Design
SDC Database Management
SDC Digital Marketing and Advertising
TESU Online course Network Technology
SDC Management Information Systems

Here's my issue: in order to receive financial aid, I have to take 6 credits through TESU; I'm planning on doing this by taking the Capstone and Statistics together. However, as mentioned above, I'm also going to be taking TESU's online course Network Technology. This is going to royally mess up financial aid, quite simply because I won't get any for this one course (it's only 3 credits and not 6). I really don't want to, and can't afford, to pay $1500 for one course.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could replace that course? I know I could take the TECEP Network Technology, but was curious to see what other upper level options I had.
(03-04-2019, 03:51 PM)studyandpass5 Wrote: Hi everyone,

SL C++
SDC Database Management

Here's my issue: in order to receive financial aid, I have to take 6 credits through TESU; I'm planning on doing this by taking the Capstone and Statistics together. However, as mentioned above, I'm also going to be taking TESU's online course Network Technology. This is going to royally mess up financial aid, quite simply because I won't get any for this one course (it's only 3 credits and not 6). I really don't want to, and can't afford, to pay $1500 for one course.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could replace that course? I know I could take the TECEP Network Technology, but was curious to see what other upper level options I had.

Why wouldn't you take Network Tech instead of Stats?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Take Network Technology at TESU and take statistics somewhere else. Here are just a few options of where to take statistics: dsst, study.com and sophia. There are lots of more options too.

Also due to policy changes I don't think you can sign up for your capstone until you have 100+ credits and included in that is most of your AOS done. Your post doesn't mention if you finished your AOS, but if you haven't make sure they are done and evaluated prior to the capstone registration.
Network Technology is also available as a TECEP, if that helps. You could take that now, then continue with the plan you had.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(03-04-2019, 03:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

SL C++
SDC Database Management

Network Technology is UL, and I didn't want to take an upper level class at the same time as the Capstone (which I've heard is a bear of a class). It was recommended that I take a lower level class with the capstone to make it a little bit easier.
[-] The following 2 users Like studyandpass5's post:
  • hsfamfun, natshar
(03-04-2019, 05:44 PM)studyandpass5 Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 03:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

SL C++
SDC Database Management

Network Technology is UL, and I didn't want to take an upper level class at the same time as the Capstone (which I've heard is a bear of a class). It was recommended that I take a lower level class with the capstone to make it a little bit easier.

that makes sense. I was wondering why you were taking stats with the capstone.
(03-04-2019, 04:07 PM)natshar Wrote: Take Network Technology at TESU and take statistics somewhere else. Here are just a few options of where to take statistics: dsst, study.com and sophia. There are lots of more options too.

Also due to policy changes I don't think you can sign up for your capstone until you have 100+ credits and included in that is most of your AOS done. Your post doesn't mention if you finished your AOS, but if you haven't make sure they are done and evaluated prior to the capstone registration.

Yeah, I had heard about that policy change. Right now, I don't have any of my AOS done, but I was planning on the capstone being my very last class anyway. So hopefully I should be good on that count?
(03-04-2019, 05:46 PM)studyandpass5 Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 04:07 PM)natshar Wrote: Take Network Technology at TESU and take statistics somewhere else. Here are just a few options of where to take statistics: dsst, study.com and sophia. There are lots of more options too.

Yeah, I had heard about that policy change. Right now, I don't have any of my AOS done, but I was planning on the capstone being my very last class anyway. So hopefully I should be good on that count?

Yeah I guess you would be good then.
(03-04-2019, 03:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Why wouldn't you take Network Tech instead of Stats?

Yes, the capstone is a pain. It consists of a ton of reading and a ton of writing, with a whole lot crammed into the first two weeks to weed out people who aren't ready. There is only one exam, which is 80% essay based. So unless you're already a strong writer, I'd recommend taking it all by itself if you can manage it.

If you have to take a second course, taking it alongside a simple course (like the SOS-110 cornerstone) seems reasonable. Depending on your math skills and familiarity with stats going into the course, I would argue that Statistics might be harder than Network Technology in terms of time spent on the course; it will require more time spent on memorization and practice at least. On the other hand, I would imagine that the stats course would require little if any writing, which is good since you'll already have your hands full with the writing required for the capstone.

Personally, I would think that the network technology course will be easier for someone pursuing a BSBA CIS. Assuming you're coming from an IT background like most CIS folks, you may already have knowledge in this area. Then again, I know the Network Technology TECEP has an essay section, so I would imagine that the online course will require papers; depending on the number of papers, that may be too much writing when combined with the capstone. But that is just speculation since I haven't seen the course syllabus.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(03-04-2019, 06:21 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 03:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Why wouldn't you take Network Tech instead of Stats?

Yes, the capstone is a pain. It consists of a ton of reading and a ton of writing, with a whole lot crammed into the first two weeks to weed out people who aren't ready. There is only one exam, which is 80% essay based. So unless you're already a strong writer, I'd recommend taking it all by itself if you can manage it.

If you have to take a second course, taking it alongside a simple course (like the SOS-110 cornerstone) seems reasonable. Depending on your math skills and familiarity with stats going into the course, I would argue that Statistics might be harder than Network Technology in terms of time spent on the course; it will require more time spent on memorization and practice at least. On the other hand, I would imagine that the stats course would require little if any writing, which is good since you'll already have your hands full with the writing required for the capstone.

Personally, I would think that the network technology course will be easier for someone pursuing a BSBA CIS. Assuming you're coming from an IT background like most CIS folks, you may already have knowledge in this area. Then again, I know the Network Technology TECEP has an essay section, so I would imagine that the online course will require papers; depending on the number of papers, that may be too much writing when combined with the capstone. But that is just speculation since I haven't seen the course syllabus.

I would love to take the Capstone by itself, but then how would I get financial aid? Would I take 6 credits through TESU for 2 different classes? For example, take Network Technology and Management Information Systems through TESU to get financial aid, then take the Capstone by itself?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 729 2 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,983 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 262 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 1 208 03-03-2024, 12:20 PM
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 233 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 273 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,161 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy