Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BA CS Degree Plan Help
Question 
Hello! My evaluation for a BA in CS at TESU was just completed. I know all of these can be done at Study.com but was wondering if anyone can recommend a cheaper option for any of them. Thank you in advance!

1: BA General Education (60 SH) (Waived)

2: Computer Science (36SH: 15SH must be upper level) (Not started)
  • A: Intro to Programming (Not started) – 3hrs - Planning to use OnlineDegree.com
  • B: Data Structures (Not started) – 3hrs
  • C: Calculus I (Not started) – 3hrs
  • D: Discrete Math (Not started) – 3hrs
  • E: Operating Systems (Not started) – 3hrs - Planning to use Study.com
  • F: Comp. Architecture (Not started) – 3hrs - Planning to use Study.com
  • G: AOS Electives (Not started) – 18hrs

**At least 15 of the 36 credits required within the entire Area of Study must be at the 300/400 level.**

3: Liberal Arts Capstone (3 SH) (Not started)

4: Electives (21SH) (Waived)
B: Data Structures - study.com
C: Calculus I - study on your own through
https://www.youtube.com/user/professorle.../playlists
http://patrickjmt.com/#calculus
then take CLEP or straighterline exam
D: Discrete Math - study.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • louise
all Of these can be done at study.com. (I would recommend it)
You’ll come short by one class in the AOS. Your options as far as I know are the network technology TECEP, cyber security dsst, or linear algebra fromcooper Smith.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zachcleigh's post:
  • louise
All can be found through study.com.

Calculus can also be found through a variety of places CLEP (which is free through modern states), Saylor, straighterline, and probably more as well. Lots of options for this one.

The free TEEX may or may not count as aos electives I'm not sure. I've heard different things.

Other places for aos electives:

Network Technology TECEP (upper level)
Cybersecurity DSST (upper level)
Linear Algebra coopersmith (upper level)
Straighterline C++ (lower level)

Coopersmith also has a python programming and maybe a few others but they have not been confirmed to count for this degree. If you attempt any other coopersmith get it approved first.

I think Saylor has some as well like intro to computer Science and others but they are all lower level and I've haven't heard the best things about them. But since the courses are free to access you could at least give it a try.

Another idea is to use a communtiy college for a class or two (either in person or online).this could be especially useful if you get financial aid or need guidance in a subject. Then the refund could be used to pay for your alternative credits.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • louise
How did you get your electives waived?

(12-18-2019, 05:22 PM)Zachcleigh Wrote: all Of these can be done at study.com. (I would recommend it)
You’ll come short by one class in the AOS. Your options as far as I know are the network technology TECEP, cyber security dsst, or linear algebra fromcooper Smith.

Is it confirmed that Linear Algebra from Coopersmith or TESU comes in as an upper level elective for the BA CS?  Thanks.
(12-19-2019, 08:49 AM)satori Wrote: How did you get your electives waived?

The OP already has a degree (actually has a masters as well as a bachelor), they are looking to change careers so the CS degree is for that purpose.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • louise
(12-19-2019, 08:56 AM)allvia Wrote:

The OP already has a degree (actually has a masters as well as a bachelor), they are looking to change careers so the CS degree is for that purpose.

If you have a prior degree your electives get waived?  I know the GE gets waived, but do the free electives get waived also?  Thanks.
(12-19-2019, 10:46 AM)satori Wrote:

If you have a prior degree your electives get waived?  I know the GE gets waived, but do the free electives get waived also?  Thanks.
At least with tesu all gen eds (including Sos-110), Gen ed electives and free electives are waived. Note that the degree has to be a regionally accredited degree.

However, what is not waived are any degree specific requirements. For example, as part of the gen eds a Bsba requires College Algebra and statistics. So if you dont have those even though gen eds are wavied you still might have to do specific classes.
[-] The following 2 users Like natshar's post:
  • davewill, louise
(12-19-2019, 10:46 AM)satori Wrote:

Everything except the Major/AOS, and any specific requirements outside of the major, is waived.  For a 2nd degree, you need a minimum of 24cr, all of which will be in the Major/AOS, or a few requirements specific to the degree but not required in the Major (like math or computers which might be required but will count in the GE area).

So, no need to worry about any of the GE stuff like English Comp or Civic Engagement or that type of thing, nor will you need/use any Free Electives.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • louise

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 783 8 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,988 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 293 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 266 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 248 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 235 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 303 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 275 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 239 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 606 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger