Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU - BA CS degree plan. Thoughts?
So i have dropped plans to go all in on BA CS + BSBA CIS and just stick with BA CS. I also have decided to not use Finnish unis for RA credits and use TEL for the same.

I also just found out coursera certificates can give cheap credits (google) as i live in India i can get 12 credits from Data Analytics Professional certificate for under $30.

Request your thoughts if its correctly planned. I would like to get though GE courses quicker and easier so if there are better alternatives do suggest. Same with rest of the courses. I would like to go through them as fast i can. Sophia and SDC only allow you to finish 2 courses each month? Also the order im planning it do is it good?

Thanks.

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU BA-CS plan.xlsx (Size: 24.35 KB / Downloads: 56)
With Sophia you can do as many courses as you like per month
International: UK
Future degree:
MSc Criminology & Criminal Psychology - Essex University
MBA - ENEB

Degrees in process:
BS Health Science 2024 - The University of the People
BSc Open (Health focus) 2023 - The Open University

Degrees completed:

BN Adult Nursing 2020 - Portsmouth University
Credits: Sophia (81)

[-] The following 1 user Likes debrag's post:
  • AnandB
SDC allows you do do up to 5 courses per month. But only 2 of those are included in the monthly fee. If you did 5 courses, you'd pay $199 for the month + $70 × 3 exams.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • AnandB
Please share your thoughts on the plan and the order of taking the courses. Also how does transferring credits from a coursera certificate work?
Your plan looks good.

The 30 credits are free electives, meaning you can take whatever you want. I wouldn't waste money on fundamentals of IT as you already have 2 similar courses planned.

You could do CS 304 Network System Design (LL course) or find another course.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • AnandB
(12-05-2022, 05:56 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Your plan looks good.

The 30 credits are free electives, meaning you can take whatever you want. I wouldn't waste money on fundamentals of IT as you already have 2 similar courses planned.

You could do CS 304 Network System Design (LL course) or find another course.

Thank you. I actually wanted to take Photography-101 instead of Astonomy-101 as my 6th TESU course and do Astronomy from SDC as i do amateur astro-photography as hobby. But reading the syllabus of PHO-101 it has a silly requirement of only using a DSLR and not a mirrorless camera. I have a full-frame mirrorless (sony a7c) setup and it will do all that's expected. It says to contact a mentor to confirm first but i don't know how to. So i added CS-102 just as an easy course that i can do quickly.

Are there any GE electives that i can change to something easier? Not looking forward to the GE courses.
Very minor, but COS-101 does not count as a CS elective - at least this was what was told to me by advising, and indeed it does not slot in on my eval even though I have two open elective slots currently. But you have so many COS courses in your free electives, it'll just flip flop with one of those.

My only suggestion is to possibly give consideration to the IBM Full Stack Cert on Coursera. Gives 18 hours, including one UL for the addtl AOS, and you can cut out some expensive SDC stuff. Maybe not necessary. If I still had req's to fill, I'd go that route, just because I see Kubernetes and Docker all over the place in job announcements and apparently that is covered in the cert. I'm also much more fond of Coursera than SDC in general, but that is just personal preference.
Working Toward: ME-EM, CU Boulder (Coursera)
Completed: TESU - BA Computer Science, 2023; TESU - AAS Applied Electronic Studies, 2012; K-State -BS Political Science, 2016
[-] The following 1 user Likes spohara's post:
  • AnandB
(12-05-2022, 11:49 PM)spohara Wrote: Very minor, but COS-101 does not count as a CS elective - at least this was what was told to me by advising, and indeed it does not slot in on my eval even though I have two open elective slots currently.  But you have so many COS courses in your free electives, it'll just flip flop with one of those.

My only suggestion is to possibly give consideration to the IBM Full Stack Cert on Coursera.  Gives 18 hours, including one UL for the addtl AOS, and you can cut out some expensive SDC stuff.  Maybe not necessary.  If I still had req's to fill, I'd go that route, just because I see Kubernetes and Docker all over the place in job announcements and apparently that is covered in the cert.  I'm also much more fond of Coursera than SDC in general, but that is just personal preference.

Thanks for the COS-101 update.

Should i do IBM certificate after Google DAP certificate as i am already in course 3 in it? I probably would have done it sometime later regardless of credits because i do see lot more jobs for Full stack developers here. Am also bound by some courses in my plan as they are either prerequisites or are compulsory for RA credits.
(12-06-2022, 05:50 AM)AnandB Wrote:
(12-05-2022, 11:49 PM)spohara Wrote: Very minor, but COS-101 does not count as a CS elective - at least this was what was told to me by advising, and indeed it does not slot in on my eval even though I have two open elective slots currently.  But you have so many COS courses in your free electives, it'll just flip flop with one of those.

My only suggestion is to possibly give consideration to the IBM Full Stack Cert on Coursera.  Gives 18 hours, including one UL for the addtl AOS, and you can cut out some expensive SDC stuff.  Maybe not necessary.  If I still had req's to fill, I'd go that route, just because I see Kubernetes and Docker all over the place in job announcements and apparently that is covered in the cert.  I'm also much more fond of Coursera than SDC in general, but that is just personal preference.

Should i do IBM certificate after Google DAP certificate as i am already in course 3 in it? I probably would have done it sometime later regardless of credits because i do see lot more jobs for Full stack developers here. Am also bound by some courses in my plan as they are either prerequisites or are compulsory for RA credits.
I like to focus on one thing at a time, so I'd recommend knocking out the Google cert since you're half through.  I've knocked out 50 something hours worth of alt credits in the last ~5 months by trying to stay focused. 1-2 classes and only 1 programming course at a time has been my method.
Working Toward: ME-EM, CU Boulder (Coursera)
Completed: TESU - BA Computer Science, 2023; TESU - AAS Applied Electronic Studies, 2012; K-State -BS Political Science, 2016
(12-06-2022, 02:38 PM)spohara Wrote:
(12-06-2022, 05:50 AM)AnandB Wrote:

I like to focus on one thing at a time, so I'd recommend knocking out the Google cert since you're half through.  I've knocked out 50 something hours worth of alt credits in the last ~5 months by trying to stay focused. 1-2 classes and only 1 programming course at a time has been my method.

spohara
Just saw your signature are you enrolling to CU Boulder also ?

By the Way AnandB,
i was thinking for SNHU, but it seems they have very few courses related to Cloud / Networking / .. and more for Computer Programmers..
Maybe I am thinking for BA CS with 30 electives mostly all Cloud Computing.....

What have you planned?

This seems good too

https://www.tesu.edu/ast/programs/bs/cloud-computing

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 3 31 20 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 104 1 hour ago
Last Post: mdn
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 61 2 hours ago
  BS IT - TESU or Purdue ChickenEnjoyer 1 47 4 hours ago
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,675 Yesterday, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 187 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,538 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 577 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 114 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 206 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM