Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OPM-411 TQM (Total Quality Management) Review
I don't see a lot of discussion on this course, and I just wanted to post my impressions in case it helps anyone else in the future. I took it in the March 2020 term.

OPM-411 is required for the BSBA Operations Management. I'm not certain if at this point there's a more economical way to get the requirement, possibly CSU-Global's Project Quality Management PJM440S self-study assessment?

In any case, this course was interesting because I was the only student enrolled in the course. I would say the workload is not quite as much as a capstone.
  • Weekly/twice weekly discussion posts (14 total) were required, but I didn't cite much of anything in these from what I remember. Since it was just me and the professor, it was odd to do these. I could only reply to his pre-written posts, and would have to do my own.
  • 7 written assignments which are all 5-6 questions based on the textbook readings (3-5 pages each assignment) which I did use APA citings, maybe 3-5 per assignment.
  • A midterm, standard multiple choice and 4 short answer questions.
  • A PowerPoint, 15-20 slides required, with discussion notes. More details below.
  • A final project which expands on the PowerPoint. More details below.

The most difficult was the PowerPoint and final project because there was quite a bit of 'making stuff up.' The scenario was very vague and you need to get creative. It's about a one-paragraph scenario, and you need to determine almost everything: the company's business model, the challenges it's facing, it's quality failure modes, etc. I didn't reach out for help on this and instead struggled through it myself, and had to keep telling myself 'it's good enough.' If I had reached out, maybe I would've had an easier time.

Once I settled on the scenario and the details, the discussion notes for the PowerPoint became the hardest part. I did the PowerPoint first, and went back and put in 'notes' but what I think was really required was a full paper essentially, inside the PowerPoint notes section. I got through this by the skin of my teeth, and I received a 93 overall for the course, barely giving me an A.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
[-] The following 2 users Like Flelm's post:
  • Dorothy44, ROYISAGIRL
Thank you for posting this. I do enjoy when people post about courses that aren't the norm. I have always wondered what would a person do if they are the only student in a courses.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

It was really weird. I'm not sure why they didn't cancel the course. Maybe because it's a required course for the BSBA OpMgmt AOS?

I feel like the professor didn't spend a lot of time on the discussion posts, they seemed mostly prewritten (even his responses to my posts). The assignments were graded fairly however. I didn't do well on the PowerPoint, and my grade reflected that. He did grade me generously on the final paper I believe, to bring me to an A overall. I probably should've earned an A- in the course with the work I did.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
That's weird, I wonder why they didn't make the course a Guided Study course instead of an Online course, I guess the posting vs grading extra assignments would have been easier for the teacher. Hmm... it's a first I've seen, most classes would have had at minimum 5 students...I've not been in any course with lesser than that number, ever...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
CSU-Pueblo IS has it for $615/course
- MGMT 468: Quality Management
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Flelm
(12-02-2020, 01:56 PM)Flelm Wrote: It was really weird. I'm not sure why they didn't cancel the course. Maybe because it's a required course for the BSBA OpMgmt AOS?

I feel like the professor didn't spend a lot of time on the discussion posts, they seemed mostly prewritten (even his responses to my posts). The assignments were graded fairly however. I didn't do well on the PowerPoint, and my grade reflected that. He did grade me generously on the final paper I believe, to bring me to an A overall. I probably should've earned an A- in the course with the work I did.

I find that most profs - at a number of schools - just copy and paste their response to the online discussions. It's always funny when they forget to change a name. They don't typically actively participate in the discussions in my experience. I only had one professor who would actually join in which was nice because he could give us his perspective after working in the field for 20+ years. He wasn't a PhD either. He was an adjunct with a master's who still worked his day job which made me feel that was why he actually participated and could give us feedback on different situations and why things were handled a specific way which was helpful. It wasn't just a copy and pasted comment about federal government policies. Reading that would have been less exciting that watching paint dry.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Operations Management Cert Add-on Dosada 2 189 03-26-2024, 05:20 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU BSBA - General Management Cire 5 870 12-01-2023, 01:16 PM
Last Post: etirflita
  BSBA Operations Management AOS dillpickles 48 3,091 07-17-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: dillpickles
  SDC Business 311: Project Management Staceys88 3 384 07-10-2023, 10:56 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  SDC Database Management ruled ineligible for TESU BS CIS TopHatWombat 13 1,580 06-11-2023, 12:03 PM
  Davar CS315 management information systems for tesu? CanICode 1 477 04-18-2023, 06:26 PM
  Second Bachelors TESU Construction Management addision 3 532 03-18-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: addision
  BA Management Concentration Equivalencies smohrs@gmail.com 9 788 02-19-2023, 08:31 PM
  TESU Review gams007 3 954 02-04-2023, 05:34 PM
  Update: TESU Dual Degree History/General Management vetvso 11 1,274 11-29-2022, 11:47 AM
Last Post: vetvso