Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BALS degree plan
Hi, can someone help me checking the attached degree plan ? Thanks in advance ! Claudio

Sorry, forgot the attachment in the the previous one !
.xlsx   Claudio TESU BALS.xlsx (Size: 15.36 KB / Downloads: 42)

Sorry, forgot the attachment in the the previous one !
.xlsx   Claudio TESU BALS.xlsx (Size: 15.36 KB / Downloads: 42)
It's great you've got a degree plan/spreadsheet created, but many variables are missing towards your journey, you may want to follow this template.  The more details, the better, so we know your current situation.  We can provide advice on alternative credit or degree/college options other than the TESU BALS.  Answer the following questions and follow the template in the link below.

How young are you? Which state and country are you in? What's your budget, do you have tuition assistance or reimbursement? Do you work for company that has a union? Do you have other commitments besides a job? Is there a specific degree or major you're looking for? Are you into alternative credit through test out options or competency based assessments? Most important is, how much time can you dedicate to your studies each day?

Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I would do SDC presentation skills in the workplace as it is quicker than doing Sophia Public Speaking. The extra $70 is worth it for the time you save. 

It looks like you are doing a Liberal Arts degree with a concentration in computer science which is almost the same as a BA in Computer Science. You would save yourself from doing Calculus, but everything else is pretty much the same for a regular Computer Science degree. 

That [TECEP] learning in the digital age (DGL-101-TE) is interesting. So let us know how that goes.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Given the choice between BALS Comp Sci or BA Comp Sci, I would strongly recommend the BA Comp Sci. It'll open more doors for you in the long run. SL Calculus is recommended because they allow you to use ANY calculator on the exam. It's all open-book, too, and you can essentially pass the class before even getting to the final exam. If you're worried about not being able to complete a calc exam, this might be the solution for you.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(03-19-2022, 12:37 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: It's great you've got a degree plan/spreadsheet created, but many variables are missing towards your journey, you may want to follow this template.  The more details, the better, so we know your current situation.  We can provide advice on alternative credit or degree/college options other than the TESU BALS.  Answer the following questions and follow the template in the link below.

How young are you? Which state and country are you in? What's your budget, do you have tuition assistance or reimbursement? Do you work for company that has a union? Do you have other commitments besides a job? Is there a specific degree or major you're looking for? Are you into alternative credit through test out options or competency based assessments? Most important is, how much time can you dedicate to your studies each day?

Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
Hi, Thanks for you comment.
Here you can see my answers:
I’m 54
I’m Italian and actually leaving in Italy
I’m not in a super tight budget but of course I don’t want to go much over 7/8 K
I don’t have any tuition assistance or reimbursement
I’m working full time but no other commitments
I’m interested in a degree related with Computer Science and my goal is to make it as quick as possible
I can do both alternative credit and competency assessment
I can dedicate a couple of hours every week day and double in the weekend (means around 18 hours per week)
I have a background of electronics, programming and IT, coming from the job and continuous training

(03-19-2022, 01:37 PM)LevelUP Wrote: I would do SDC presentation skills in the workplace as it is quicker than doing Sophia Public Speaking. The extra $70 is worth it for the time you save. 

It looks like you are doing a Liberal Arts degree with a concentration in computer science which is almost the same as a BA in Computer Science. You would save yourself from doing Calculus, but everything else is pretty much the same for a regular Computer Science degree. 

That [TECEP] learning in the digital age (DGL-101-TE) is interesting. So let us know how that goes.
Hi, thanks for you suggestion, I will have a look in the SDC presentation course. Actually I was starting evaluating CS, but I’m a little worried about the math part. Also I don’t know if I could use there the actfl exams.

(03-19-2022, 03:36 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Given the choice between BALS Comp Sci or BA Comp Sci, I would strongly recommend the BA Comp Sci. It'll open more doors for you in the long run. SL Calculus is recommended because they allow you to use ANY calculator on the exam. It's all open-book, too, and you can essentially pass the class before even getting to the final exam. If you're worried about not being able to complete a calc exam, this might be the solution for you.
Hi and thanks for you suggestions. I would also rather go with the CS but calculus is exactly one of my worries. I will have a look into SL course.
@csangaletti, is there a reason you need a degree from USA vs one from Italy?  Since you're looking at a BALS with a CS concentration, you may want to consider a BSBA CIS and ASNSM Computer Science option at TESU, or if you're into Competency Based, an AALS and BLS MIS concentration at UMPI.  Many options exist for you, others such as evaluating UK Level 6 diploma and then using a Bachelors Top Up in the UK.

In any case, you're going to need to get credits, do you already have any type of credits from the Italian higher education system?  I would take credits towards both TESU/UMPI before you decide, because of your current time constraints, it "hits" closer to test-out vs competency based.  Having said that, you can tweak the time management and should be sufficient for Competency Based assessments and assginments.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
So, first, you have some info wrong. Second, you have too many credits. I count 132cr. 3rd, you have an 18cr term at TESU, which I don't think they'll allow. 4th, you didn't fill up your GE properly. 5th, you can't get credit for Technical Comm AND Technical Writing.

Here's what I would do:

1) Do your ACTFL exams, as you'll get the most bang for your buck there in terms of ease. Each exam will get you 6cr UL/6cr LL - so between the 4 exams, you get 48cr, and it fills your entire AoS.

2) Do the courses you need for RA - so plan a 16cr term at TESU
- Cornerstone
- Capstone
- Comparative Politics (civic engagement)
- Python Programming (AoS)
- Computer Concepts & Applications (Science)
- PLA-100 (1cr)

3) Do the remaining courses you need for RA
- English Comp 1 & 2 (think about ONU instead of Sophia, I think it's roughly the same amount of work, and ONU is supposed to be fantastic for $50/cr)
- Technical Writing TECEP (Humanities)
- Learning in the Digital Age TECEP (Free Elective)
- College Algebra TECEP (Free Elective just because the GE is filled already)

4) Fill your GE
- Public Speaking (or Presentation Skills at SDC)
- Intro to Sociology (Diversity)
- Intro to Ethics (Ethical Leadership)
- A SocSci course (none of the courses you planned fit here)
- A History course (same as above)
- Environmental Science (2nd science)

5) Fill your Concentration in CS
- COMPSCI 306: Computer Architecture
- COMPSCI 303: Database Management
- COMPSCI 302: Systems Analysis & Design
- COMPSCI 201: Data Structures & Algorithms
- COMPSCI 307: Software Engineering

6) Fill your Free Electives
- Project Management
- Principles of Management
(I would probably do Developing Effective Teams 1cr and The Essentials of Managing Conflict 1cr instead of one of those courses since you only need 2cr)

I removed Technical Comm (not allowed with Technical Writing) and Sophia's Intro to IT (duplicates the TECEP you're taking).

SocSci courses available through Sophia: Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Intro to Psychology
History courses available through Sophia: US History I, US History II, or US History: Learn from the Past, Prepare for the Future

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you opt for the CompSci degree instead, I would not take the WPT exams, as you don't need that credit.

You could take Software Engineering instead of Python Programming at TESU, and you'll need 1 more math course (Finite Math at ONU to get another easy RA course, or Stats from Sophia, ALEKS' Precalc, or Study.com's Precalc or Stats).

It would not be difficult to switch to this degree if you can get through calculus.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-19-2022, 04:43 PM)csangaletti Wrote: Hi and thanks for you suggestions. I would also rather go with the CS but calculus is exactly one of my worries. I will have a look into SL course.

In that case, I would recommend signing up with ASU: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ar...al_Learner You can then audit (take without credit) their precalculus and calculus courses for FREE. These can act as prep courses for the course at StraighterLine.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[attachment=4032 Wrote:
.xlsx   Claudio TESU BALS V2.xlsx (Size: 16.02 KB / Downloads: 4) dfrecore pid='361724' dateline='1647743287']So, first, you have some info wrong.  Second, you have too many credits. I count 132cr.  3rd, you have an 18cr term at TESU, which I don't think they'll allow.  4th, you didn't fill up your GE properly. 5th, you can't get credit for Technical Comm AND Technical Writing.

Here's what I would do:

1) Do your ACTFL exams, as you'll get the most bang for your buck there in terms of ease.  Each exam will get you 6cr UL/6cr LL - so between the 4 exams, you get 48cr, and it fills your entire AoS.

2) Do the courses you need for RA - so plan a 16cr term at TESU
- Cornerstone
- Capstone
- Comparative Politics (civic engagement)
- Python Programming (AoS)
- Computer Concepts & Applications (Science)
- PLA-100 (1cr)

3) Do the remaining courses you need for RA
- English Comp 1 & 2 (think about ONU instead of Sophia, I think it's roughly the same amount of work, and ONU is supposed to be fantastic for $50/cr)
- Technical Writing TECEP (Humanities)
- Learning in the Digital Age TECEP (Free Elective)
- College Algebra TECEP (Free Elective just because the GE is filled already)

4) Fill your GE
- Public Speaking (or Presentation Skills at SDC)
- Intro to Sociology (Diversity)
- Intro to Ethics (Ethical Leadership)
- A SocSci course (none of the courses you planned fit here)
- A History course (same as above)
- Environmental Science (2nd science)

5) Fill your Concentration in CS
- COMPSCI 306: Computer Architecture
- COMPSCI 303: Database Management
- COMPSCI 302: Systems Analysis & Design
- COMPSCI 201: Data Structures & Algorithms
- COMPSCI 307: Software Engineering

6) Fill your Free Electives
- Project Management
- Principles of Management
(I would probably do Developing Effective Teams 1cr and The Essentials of Managing Conflict 1cr instead of one of those courses since you only need 2cr)

I removed Technical Comm (not allowed with Technical Writing) and Sophia's Intro to IT (duplicates the TECEP you're taking).

SocSci courses available through Sophia: Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Intro to Psychology
History courses available through Sophia: US History I, US History II, or US History: Learn from the Past, Prepare for the Future

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you opt for the CompSci degree instead, I would not take the WPT exams, as you don't need that credit.

You could take Software Engineering instead of Python Programming at TESU, and you'll need 1 more math course (Finite Math at ONU to get another easy RA course, or Stats from Sophia, ALEKS' Precalc, or Study.com's Precalc or Stats).

It would not be difficult to switch to this degree if you can get through calculus.
Hi,
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I’m attaching here a modified plan according to your suggestions. Could you have a look an tell me if is fitting .
Thanks
Claudio

(03-19-2022, 08:43 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @csangaletti, is there a reason you need a degree from USA vs one from Italy?  Since you're looking at a BALS with a CS concentration, you may want to consider a BSBA CIS and ASNSM Computer Science option at TESU, or if you're into Competency Based, an AALS and BLS MIS concentration at UMPI.  Many options exist for you, others such as evaluating UK Level 6 diploma and then using a Bachelors Top Up in the UK.

In any case, you're going to need to get credits, do you already have any type of credits from the Italian higher education system?  I would take credits towards both TESU/UMPI before you decide, because of your current time constraints, it "hits" closer to test-out vs competency based.  Having said that, you can tweak the time management and should be sufficient for Competency Based assessments and assginments.
Hi,
Thanks for your quick reply. Actually is almost impossible here in Italy to build a degree plan taking online courses and/or applying your competencies as credits and that’s the reason why I’m looking into USA degrees (by the way uk could also be an option since they are also much more flexible that Italy).
Said that, I was originally starting planning for a computer science degree at tesu, but the math part is working me (I’m out of the game from a long time!) and I thought I could get some cheap credit with the actfl exams, that I’m sure I can apply totally to the cs degree.
Yes, I do have the possibility to look for credits for some higher education courses an diplomas here and in Spain, but it will be a big work finding out official transcriptions and maybe also have to translate them officialy.
Do you have some template that will fit for my situation with computer science degree ?
Thanks
Claudio
If you intend to use your degree in Italy, or Europe in general, I would definitely recommend against a Liberal Studies degree of any kind. ESPECIALLY if you want to get into the technology sector. The employment system is very different in the US vs. Europe. You really need a specific degree in Europe if you want to go into certain fields. In the US, the exact degree doesn't matter as much as it does in Europe.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Kab

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 580 9 hours ago
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,143 11 hours ago
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,894 Today, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 186 Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 190 Yesterday, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,102 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 184 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 4 522 04-16-2024, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Mems88
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,289 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 170 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM