Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BALS or BA History?
Hi,
I had planned to earn a BALS from TESU, choosing my electives based on the requirements to enter WGU's secondary Social Sciences teacher certification program. Then it occurred to me that I could earn TESU's BA History with practically identical courses, with the exception of the historiography/historical methods requirement.
Two questions I have are
1) does it look that much better to have a BA History than a BALS (knowing that the goals is to be a Social Science /History teacher) that it's worth it to take an extra $600 online course?
2) has anyone found an easier way to take or test out of the historiography /historical methods requirement? The best I've been able to find is in a post recommending Fort Hays at $200 per credit hour, which seems painful.
Thanks so much for your thoughts!
2018 TESU GRADUATE
BALS-SOCIAL SCIENCE 
CLEP:
A&I Literature 68  Intro to Sociology 61  Human Gr & Dev 70  Intro to Educational Psychology 68
Prin. of Management 71  Prin. of Marketing  72
ALEKS:
Interm. Algebra  73%
Sophia:
Dev. Effective Teams  96%
The Institutes:
Ethics & CPCU Code of Prof. Conduct  76%
Shmoop:
Modern European History  84%  Literature in the Media  82%  Holocaust Lit  90%
Women's Lit  87%  Shakespeare's Plays  87%
Straighterline:
Western Civ I  93%  Intro to Nutrition  87%  Macroecon  86%  Microecon  90%
Intro to Environmental Science  89%  Western Civ II  91%   Intro to Religion  98%
Cultural Anthropology  95%  US History I  90%  US History II  93%
Intro to Communication  93%  Organizational Behavior  91%
Study.com
Personal Finance  98%  History of the Vietnam War  97%  Abnormal Psychology  94%
Social Psychology  92%  Civil War & Reconstruction  87%   Human & Cultural Geography  94%
Ed4Credit
Aging & Society  97%
TESU
Capstone  100%
B&M Colleges
42 credits
I'm not sure it matters much, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to see what jobs in your area want. I always find that the best way to figure out my next steps.

A nice in-between step might be a BALS with a concentration in SocSci. Then, you don't have the specific courses required by the history degree, but can take as many of them as you want. You could just skip the historiography course.

$600 doesn't seem like a crazy amount to pay for a single course if you really want the history degree. That is not a bad price at all. We just get spoiled here with all of our $100/course average costs that it makes it hard to compare.

Oh yeah, and you could always request the course from Study.com and see what they have to say. They are pretty good about letting us know if it's a possibility. At least you'd know if they planned to bring it in over the next few months or not.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Personally, I'd consider going for the history degree simply to avoid the explanations about what courses you took that go into the BALS. You say you have a history degree and that pretty much tells the whole story.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I was looking at the same thing. Here is how I decided, which may not apply to you at all, so take it for what it's worth. I've considered the idea of teaching and if I went into anything it would be History or English. It was ridiculously faster for me to get the BALS degree. In my area you have to have a bachelor's to substitute teach. I figure I'll try substituting for a year to see if I like it and if I do, I'll go get the education needed to be certified. If I don't, then at least I'll have a degree and go find something else. If it's the same amount of time or if you know teaching is your heart's desire then go the history route. If it's not set in stone, get the BALS with social science concentration. In my case, since I'm still undecided and it's going to take more education anyway to go into anything I'm interested in, I might as well just get the degree.

Personally, if it's just a $600 difference it seems a no brainier to get the history degree. That's relatively small when compared to what you are saving on your education anyway.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
How come you aren't getting your BA at WGU? You can use tests and/or ACE/NCCRS courses for gen ed. You can work on the rest of your degree while student teaching. You might as well take the opportunity to knock out credits since you're paying. I think there might even be some scholarships at WGU that will pay out $500 per term up to $2,000.

Never mind. Their interdisciplinary studies program is only K-8.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Thanks for the feedback, Everyone!
In retrospect, $600 really isn't that much for a class. I am just spoiled, as has been mentioned, by basically paying about $33 per credit through testing.
I think I am leaning toward the History degree, although the Social Sci concentration was a great idea. I wish TESU hadn't discontinued their Social Sci degree.
I am so far from finishing my BA that I'm nowhere near ready to start at WGU. I want to be ready to go with my teacher certification before I enroll there.

I reached out to study.com regarding a possible historiography or historical methods course being offered in the future. Here is the conversation:

Hi, I am looking to earn a BA in History from TESU. They require an upper level course in historiography or historical methods. Is that a course study.com is looking to add anytime soon?
Thanks so much! Kerry

Hi Kerry, Thank you for reaching out to us! I found a course/lesson on the topic that might help you. Here is the link to it: History Courses - Online Classes with Videos | Study.com You can search all our courses and lessons by utilizing our keyword search in the upper right-hand corner of all Study.com webpages. You can even find more information on the topic you identified. Hopefully, you found this information helpful. Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Archie

Hi Archie, I see the list of history courses available. I do not see anything that meets the requirement of the course I asked about. I am looking for an upper level course in historiography or historical methods. Is there a specific course you can point me to, besides the catalog of history courses? Thanks, Kerry

Hi Kerry, Thank you for reaching out to us! I found a course/lesson on the topic that might help you. Please check if these would help; https://study.com/academy/topic/historiography.html https://study.com/academy/lesson/histori...ation.html You can search all our courses and lessons by utilizing our keyword search in the upper right-hand corner of all Study.com webpages. You can even find more information on the topic you identified. Hopefully, you found this information helpful. Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Archie

Archie, really. I feel like we're not connecting here. I know how to use a search bar. Again, I need a course in historiography or historical methods. The links you sent are for individual lessons within courses. I don't think TESU is going to accept one historiography chapter from a study guide for Oregon Social Science teachers as an upper level credit course in historiography. I already know study.com does not offer what I need. The original question is whether study.com has plans to add a course in historiography or historical methods to their course offerings. Kerry

Hi Kerry, Sorry about that, unfortunately, that is not a course that we currently offer. However, we are working constantly to add new courses and I will make sure to submit this suggestion to our team. Some of our current lessons have come from our member suggestions, so if you have any more suggestions, please let us know. Best regards, Archie

So is study.com usually like that?
2018 TESU GRADUATE
BALS-SOCIAL SCIENCE 
CLEP:
A&I Literature 68  Intro to Sociology 61  Human Gr & Dev 70  Intro to Educational Psychology 68
Prin. of Management 71  Prin. of Marketing  72
ALEKS:
Interm. Algebra  73%
Sophia:
Dev. Effective Teams  96%
The Institutes:
Ethics & CPCU Code of Prof. Conduct  76%
Shmoop:
Modern European History  84%  Literature in the Media  82%  Holocaust Lit  90%
Women's Lit  87%  Shakespeare's Plays  87%
Straighterline:
Western Civ I  93%  Intro to Nutrition  87%  Macroecon  86%  Microecon  90%
Intro to Environmental Science  89%  Western Civ II  91%   Intro to Religion  98%
Cultural Anthropology  95%  US History I  90%  US History II  93%
Intro to Communication  93%  Organizational Behavior  91%
Study.com
Personal Finance  98%  History of the Vietnam War  97%  Abnormal Psychology  94%
Social Psychology  92%  Civil War & Reconstruction  87%   Human & Cultural Geography  94%
Ed4Credit
Aging & Society  97%
TESU
Capstone  100%
B&M Colleges
42 credits
KAnn Wrote:Archie, really. I feel like we're not connecting here. I know how to use a search bar. Again, I need a course in historiography or historical methods. The links you sent are for individual lessons within courses. I don't think TESU is going to accept one historiography chapter from a study guide for Oregon Social Science teachers as an upper level credit course in historiography. I already know study.com does not offer what I need. The original question is whether study.com has plans to add a course in historiography or historical methods to their course offerings. Kerry

I had to laugh at that! It's very irritating to contact CS about a specific question just to get a blanket answer that you a) already knew, and b) doesn't address what you asked. It's not just study.com (although they are pretty bad about it), I have had the same experience multiple times with SL, and of course TESU. Also other non-education-related businesses.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
KAnn Wrote:Thanks for the feedback, Everyone!
In retrospect, $600 really isn't that much for a class. I am just spoiled, as has been mentioned, by basically paying about $33 per credit through testing.
I think I am leaning toward the History degree, although the Social Sci concentration was a great idea. I wish TESU hadn't discontinued their Social Sci degree.
I am so far from finishing my BA that I'm nowhere near ready to start at WGU. I want to be ready to go with my teacher certification before I enroll there.

Archie, really. I feel like we're not connecting here. I know how to use a search bar. Again, I need a course in historiography or historical methods. The links you sent are for individual lessons within courses. I don't think TESU is going to accept one historiography chapter from a study guide for Oregon Social Science teachers as an upper level credit course in historiography. I already know study.com does not offer what I need. The original question is whether study.com has plans to add a course in historiography or historical methods to their course offerings. Kerry

We ARE spoiled here with our $100/course pricing.

Your convo was hilarious. I think your best bet is to reach out to Study.com HERE on this forum, whoever is in charge of it seems like they know what the heck is going on over there, and is very good about coming back with the courses we want/need for the different degrees. They hooked us up with the BSBA, then the Psych degree, so I'm sure History could be done as well. Just put in the request, it can't hurt.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
KAnn Wrote:I am so far from finishing my BA that I'm nowhere near ready to start at WGU. I want to be ready to go with my teacher certification before I enroll there.

I was referring to their bachelor's degree programs that lead to certification as opposed to the post-baccalaureate certification program, but they don't offer a social science bachelor's degree. They only have science (biology, physics, chemistry, and geosciences), special education, and K-8 interdisciplinary studies.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,922 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,020 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,578 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,289 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,279 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,317 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore