Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU: BS Organizational Leadership - Need planning help
I understand, and agree since they don't have a list of what constitutes an advanced 'leadership' elective you really need to get it all preapproved. Like I said, I based that off of the list of courses in the Leadership Category in the BS Professional Studies (https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsps/index). They have non-leadership courses like Ethics and the Business Professional (PHI-384) and Industrial Psychology (PSY-363) listed.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
[-] The following 1 user Likes Flelm's post:
  • Robbiej
rachel83az Wrote:Instead of a BALS, you might want to consider a BSBA. I think HRM is possible via alternate means? Otherwise, General Management might be what you're looking for.

My recommendation for the OP - Robbiej - Do a BSBA instead of the BSOL because of several reasons.
1) BSBA has the programmatic/secondary ACBSP accreditation/recognition
2) BSBA can be completed with much more affordability, ease/energy, and time
3) Go for a MSOL instead at Brandman by doing their MyPath program in 6 months

So, essentially, do 9-12 months for a BSBA GM or another concentration then do 6 months Brandman MSOL. 
The cost for BOTH TESU Bachelors & Brandman Masters will be cheaper, easier, faster than completing this BSOL.
Basically, a Masters in Operational Leadership will trump a Bachelors any day of the week, maybe try WGU MSML.

Update: Oops... Yeah, OK, for a moment there I was thinking of Operations Management, it was a typo...
I mean a Masters in Organizational Leadership or MSML, Masters in Management and Leadership.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • rachel83az, Robbiej
Wow!   Thank you all a ton!!  I was not expecting to log in and find this many well thought out responses!  I'll digest everything you've said here (and figure out what some of the acronyms mean) and then make a move one way or the other. 

Really, thank you for the well reasoned and insightful responses!

(12-22-2020, 12:01 PM)dfrecore Wrote: This is not a degree you can do via alternative credits.  There is only 1 course available out of the 3 that you need for electives inexpensively (section A).  Then in Section B, I have no idea what you could use there.

Way too expensive to do.

(12-22-2020, 11:39 AM)Flelm Wrote: Here's what I put together for you. I went heavy on Sophia and SDC. This is the first time I've put together a plan for anyone besides myself, so 100% take all of this with a giant heaping of salt.

The courses I'm most unsure of are 3 of the AoS from SDC: MAN-312, MAN-372, HRM-241.

You also need to do 2 additional credits as RA. You might want to take one of the AOS classes at TESU, or take one of the many RA options (TEL for example).

You cannot use the courses you used in the sections A & B for this degree - there are specific ones they list.  For Advanced Leadership, no way will they take Principles of Supervision (that's not advanced), the Mentoring course is LL, and Managerial Comm is probably not Leadership.  Davar's Prin of Mgmt is LL, so that won't work.

It's just not a degree you can do at TESU inexpensively.
===================================

I could suggest a BALS with an OL cert instead.  That can be done entirely via alt-credit (with 24cr of RA of course).

I could definitely look into this path, nothing set in stone yet - Thanks!  
(12-22-2020, 05:55 AM)rachel83az Wrote: You'd need at least one more RA class to bring your total up to at least 24 to get any degree at TESU. Suggestions for doing this are here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

Unfortunately, it is not possible to get a degree in Organizational Leadership (almost entirely) through alternate means. You'd have to take a number of courses from TESU itself in order to complete your degree. The ones below that are listed as "unavailable" would likely need to be taken directly from TESU. I didn't even do the full AOS. Perhaps a BSBA would be a better choice?

Organizational Behavior (MAN-311) - MAN-310 Organizational Behavior @ Davar Academy
Foundations of Leadership (LDR-305) - Business 302: Foundations fo Leadership @ Study.com
Leading Organizational Change - Business 304: Leading Organizational Change @ Study.com
Leadership Communication (MAN-376) - Unavailable

4 of:
  • Change Management (MAN-415) - Unavailable
  • Project Management (MAN-435) - Unavailable
  • Advanced Organizational Management (MAN-425) - Unavailable
  • Principles of Management (MAN-301) - MAN-101 Principles of Management @ Davar Academy
  • Leadership in the Global Environment (LDR-422) - Unavailable
  • Nonprofit Leadership  (LDR-419) - Unavailable
  • Leaders in History (LDR-324) - Unavailable

I think you're right - So I guess I need to start making a plan for BSBA now.  

Thanks!

(12-22-2020, 11:39 AM)Flelm Wrote: Here's what I put together for you. I went heavy on Sophia and SDC. This is the first time I've put together a plan for anyone besides myself, so 100% take all of this with a giant heaping of salt.

The courses I'm most unsure of are 3 of the AoS from SDC: MAN-312, MAN-372, HRM-241.

You also need to do 2 additional credits as RA. You might want to take one of the AOS classes at TESU, or take one of the many RA options (TEL for example).

Wow, thanks so much for breaking this down for me!   Really a huge help to help me start to see a path.  

I think I may end up taking the advice of others and move in the BSBA direction and may do the original area of study as a masters.  

Thanks again!

(12-22-2020, 01:18 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
rachel83az Wrote:Instead of a BALS, you might want to consider a BSBA. I think HRM is possible via alternate means? Otherwise, General Management might be what you're looking for.

My recommendation for the OP - Robbiej - Do a BSBA instead of the BSOL because of several reasons.

So, essentially, do 9-12 months for a BSBA GM or another concentration then do 6 months Brandman MSOL. 
The cost for BOTH TESU Bachelors & Brandman Masters will be cheaper, easier, faster than completing this BSOL.
Basically, a Masters in Operational Leadership will trump a Bachelors any day of the week, maybe try WGU MSML.

Update: Oops... Yeah, OK, for a moment there I was thinking of Operations Management, it was a typo...
I mean a Masters in Organizational Leadership or MSML, Masters in Management and Leadership.

Yes, I think this makes a lot of sense.   Now I probably need to pivot and start working on a BSBA degree plan first.  I really like the idea of doing this and then MSOL after.   Thank you!   I knew this would be a place for some valuable direction but you all have exceeded my expectations!
(12-22-2020, 12:42 AM)Robbiej Wrote: I am just now learning about this approach to finishing a degree, and after searching around I've become interested in TESU Bachelor of Science in Organizational Leadership.   I have some credits from a state college including:

ENG 111 English Comp              3.0 
ENG112  English Comp              3.0
SPCH 101 Interpersonal             3.0
FLAS111  First YR spanish         3.0
HPWE116 Intermediate golf        1.0
SPCH102  Speechmaking           3.0
THEA141 Theatre Appreciation   3.0
BUGB21 Buiness Comm             3.0
---------------------------------------------------
TOTAL RA CREDIT                     22.0

Then I have finished these on Sophia:

College readiness 
Essentials of managing conflict
Intro to business
developing effective teams
ancient greek philosophers
approaches to studying world religions
Intro to information technology
microeconomics
macroeconomics
-----------------------------------------------------
Total                                                23.0

I understand that a couple of these will prove useless in my mission here, but if I could get some help putting together the most efficient and cost effective plan to pursue this degree I would be most grateful.  

Thank you! 

Bachelor of Science in Organizational Leadership Credit Distribution
Subject Category
CreditsI. General Education Requirements
A. Intellectual and Practical Skills
  • Written Communication
[size=undefined]
(6)[/size]
  • Oral Communication
[size=undefined]
(3)[/size]
  • Quantitative Literacy
[size=undefined]
(3)[/size]
  • Information Literacy
    SOS-110: Critical Information Literacy
[size=undefined]
(3)
B. Civic and Global Learning
9[/size]
  • Diversity
[size=undefined]
(3)[/size]
  • Ethics
[size=undefined]
(3)[/size]
  • Civic Engagement
[size=undefined]
(3)
C. Knowledge of Human Cultures
D. Understanding the Physical and Natural World
4-7
E. Mathematics
F. General Education Electives
17-20
II. Leadership Foundations
A. Organizational Behavior (MAN-311)
B. Foundations of Leadership (LDR-305)
C. Leading Organizational Change
D. Leadership Communication (MAN-376)
III. Advanced Leadership: Areas of Specialization
A. Select 4 courses from the following:[/size]
  • Change Management (MAN-415)
  • Project Management (MAN-435)
  • Advanced Organizational Management (MAN-425)
  • Principles of Management (MAN-301)
  • Leadership in the Global Environment (LDR-422)
  • Nonprofit Leadership (LDR-419)
  • Leaders in History (LDR-324)
[size=undefined]
B. Additional Advanced Leadership Electives
C. Leadership Practicum (LDR-435)
IV. Supportive Leadership Courses
12[/size]
  • Economics
  • Business/Managerial Communications
  • Organizational Theory
  • Computer Concepts
[size=undefined]
(3)
(3)
(3)
(3)

V. Business Electives
VI. Electives
Total Credits
120[/size]
Hi this is my 2nd degree that I’m working on . I managed to transfer in quite a bit from study . Leadership and Organizational behavior , leadership communication, globalization and international management , foundations of leadership , leading Organizational change, organizational theory and managerial communications. For the nonprofits I did TESU’s fundraising for non profits class I’m working on it right now I’m on Module 4 it’s a very simple class . You choose your favorite NP and pretty much do multiple prompts about it .

I do think a lot more of your credits would transfer in a BSBA . My first degree is a BSBA in finance and I used almost all of these in it . Minus the extra classes I added for the BSOL
In progress: TESU BSBA-Finance , TESU BSBA-GM, UNT-Biology Completed : Clep (3 credits ), Sophia (63 credits ), Study (39 credits) TESU (9 credits ) Heart Tongue
(01-02-2021, 03:34 PM)AppleStarr Wrote: Hi this is my 2nd degree that I’m working on . I managed to transfer in quite a bit from study . Leadership and Organizational behavior , leadership communication, globalization and international management , foundations of leadership , leading Organizational change, organizational theory and managerial communications. For the nonprofits I did TESU’s fundraising for non profits class I’m working on it right now I’m on Module 4 it’s a very simple class . You choose your favorite NP and pretty much do multiple prompts about it .

I do think a lot more of your credits would transfer in a BSBA . My first degree is a BSBA in finance and I used almost all of these in it . Minus the extra classes I added for the BSOL

I approve! Err, I agree! I would just stick to my previous post #12 and focus on the BSBA, then go for the MAOL at Brandman instead as the Masters would trump a second area of study or another Bachelors degree any day of the week.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Robbiej
(01-03-2021, 02:51 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 03:34 PM)AppleStarr Wrote: Hi this is my 2nd degree that I’m working on . I managed to transfer in quite a bit from study . Leadership and Organizational behavior , leadership communication, globalization and international management , foundations of leadership , leading Organizational change, organizational theory and managerial communications. For the nonprofits I did TESU’s fundraising for non profits class I’m working on it right now I’m on Module 4 it’s a very simple class . You choose your favorite NP and pretty much do multiple prompts about it .

I approve! Err, I agree!  I would just stick to my previous post #12 and focus on the BSBA, then go for the MAOL at Brandman instead as the Masters would trump a second area of study or another Bachelors degree any day of the week.

I think this does make the most sense after thinking it over.   I couldn't find much about brandman, is there a reason you recommend that over WGU?

Is it a similar structure?  I noticed a post you made about doing bachelor to master and getting classes that will count towards both.  Is that something that may apply here?   

Thanks again!
(12-22-2020, 01:18 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:

Following up on the recommendation you made about my degree path.  Could you do me a huge solid and take a look at this sheet I'm working on and give me your advice?  

Thanks!  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...edit#gid=0

(12-22-2020, 05:55 AM)rachel83az Wrote: You'd need at least one more RA class to bring your total up to at least 24 to get any degree at TESU. Suggestions for doing this are here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

Unfortunately, it is not possible to get a degree in Organizational Leadership (almost entirely) through alternate means. You'd have to take a number of courses from TESU itself in order to complete your degree. The ones below that are listed as "unavailable" would likely need to be taken directly from TESU. I didn't even do the full AOS. Perhaps a BSBA would be a better choice?

Organizational Behavior (MAN-311) - MAN-310 Organizational Behavior @ Davar Academy
Foundations of Leadership (LDR-305) - Business 302: Foundations fo Leadership @ Study.com
Leading Organizational Change - Business 304: Leading Organizational Change @ Study.com
Leadership Communication (MAN-376) - Unavailable

4 of:
  • Change Management (MAN-415) - Unavailable
  • Project Management (MAN-435) - Unavailable
  • Advanced Organizational Management (MAN-425) - Unavailable
  • Principles of Management (MAN-301) - MAN-101 Principles of Management @ Davar Academy
  • Leadership in the Global Environment (LDR-422) - Unavailable
  • Nonprofit Leadership  (LDR-419) - Unavailable
  • Leaders in History (LDR-324) - Unavailable
Thanks again for the solid advice!  Do you think I can borrow your expertise one more time for the degree plan I'm building?  

I'm thinking of going with BSBA GM at TESU first, and have started building this plan:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...edit#gid=0

Any help you can lend me is much appreciated.  Thanks!
(12-22-2020, 12:20 PM)dfrecore Wrote: BALS w/Org Leadership Cert:

CERTIFICATE IN ORGANIZATIONAL LEADERSHIP (18CR, 9CR MUST BE UL) - all using Study.com courses
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MAN-210 PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT       BUS 101: Principles of Management
LDR-305 FOUNDATIONS OF LEADERSHIP        BUS 302: Foundations of Leadership UL
MAN-212 ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOR        BUS 107: Organizational Behavior can be used in BALS AOS
LDR-345 LEADING ORGANIZATIONAL CHANGE BUS 304: Leading Organizational Change UL
MAN-376 LEADERSHIP COMMUNICATION        BUS 305: Leadership Communication can be used in BALS AOS UL
MAN-435 PROJECT MANAGEMENT                 BUS 311: Project Management UL

This is my plan.  The certificate can be done completely on study. com as long as you are also seeking a degree.  And any of the Leadership or Management courses can be used to fulfill the Liberal Studies requirements.
MAN-210 PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT -   BUS 201 Princ of Man (straigherline) or study
LDR-305 FOUNDATIONS OF LEADERSHIP  - BUS 302: Foundations of Leadership UL study
MAN 311-Organizational Behavior -             BUS 307: Leadership & Organizational Behavior - UL study 
LDR-345 LEADING ORG CHANGE -              BUS 304: Leading Organizational Change UL study

MAN-376 LEADERSHIP COMMUNICATION  - BUS 305: Leadership Communication UL study
Elective: MAN-435 PROJECT MANAGEMENT -BUS 311: Project Management UL
*This would fulfill the 15 UL requirement for BALS
I also took Business 307: Leadership & Organizational Behavior which comes in as PSY UL or BUS UL for tesu because I was originally going for a psychology concentration but there is no equivalent for Abnormal Psy on study so I switched to liberal studies.
If you really want a bachelor's in leadership, maybe look at UMPI's BA in Business Administration - Management & Leadership concentration.

https://online.umpi.edu/programs/ba-busi...rship.aspx

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,166 Yesterday, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,905 Yesterday, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 203 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,152 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 187 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 546 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM
  Degree planning advice, fastest way, need help Bikingrox211 19 1,302 04-06-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Bikingrox211
  TESU - BA CS + BS CIS ahmedeo0510@gmail.com 12 385 04-03-2024, 12:34 PM
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 10 387 03-29-2024, 01:55 PM
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 8 466 03-28-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Captainrekt000