Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BS Professional Studies Questions
(03-05-2020, 11:32 AM)SCYankee Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 11:06 AM)allvia Wrote: The BS in Professional Studies is actually a generic degree, a step above Liberal Studies.  It is a degree targeted at those who already have a number of existing credits that don't fit a given concentration degree, nor for Liberal Studies or the BSBA. (often based in non-traditional business subjects, such as "Real Estate" for example - there was a person on this forum a ways back who had a bunch of those and went this route).  A 'BA in Communications' will hold more weight than a 'BS in Professional Studies'.  

I know it has been suggested but why not the Dual AOS BSBA Entrepreneurship/Marketing and then if communication is your thing get a master in communication (or Amberton has a very flexible Master of Arts in Professional Development - a forum member made a detailed posting about it here:
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-graduated)

That's what I guessed about the Prof Studies--just a catch-all. Not preferable, but a good way to conglomerate varied interests at the undergrad level. 

I have my sites set on Amberton or Liberty for the Master in Comm. That's the next goal. It's definitely the subject I want to pursue further, with a healthy does of English/writing thrown in. But I haven't said much since it's still early in the game, and things can change. I've seen the MA Pro Studies option, though, and I think it's a very strong "Plan B" if I make it that far Smile

I wasn't suggesting going to WGU, I was simply comparing the TESU capstone VS, WGU's ENTIRE MBA program. One course vs an entire program. My overall point, the TESU capstones are no walk in the park.

Having recently completed the BSBA capstone at TESU, here is the ONE course breakdown.

1.  7 business case studies (1000-1100 words per case study, all APA style) account for 35% of the final grade. 
2.  The midterm (10 questions plus 4 written essays during the proctored exam, timed) account for 25% of the final grade. The essay questions are all related to the textbook and the midterm instructions provide some guidance in the chapters for possible essays.
3.  Final paper (3500 to 5000 words, all APA style) account for 20% of the final grade.
4.  Weekly discussions (12 total), (each post is usually around 250-400 words and three follow up comments from other posters (100-250 words per reply), all APA style) account for 15% of the final grade.
5.  ETS profile test, account for 5% of the final grade.

I am not clear on why you are planning on a BA in communication when you must take 3 or 4 communication courses from TESU. Communication and Marketing degrees have lots of overlap in material, and the Marketing degree doesn't require the extra courses at TESU. At lot of Colleges have degrees that say, marketing communication or marketing and communication.

If I were going to take additional communication courses (just for learning, not degree) I wouldn't take them at TESU because the pricing is far higher than other Universities, OR complete a masters in communication.
(03-05-2020, 11:24 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 11:32 AM)SCYankee Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 11:06 AM)allvia Wrote: The BS in Professional Studies is actually a generic degree, a step above Liberal Studies.  It is a degree targeted at those who already have a number of existing credits that don't fit a given concentration degree, nor for Liberal Studies or the BSBA. (often based in non-traditional business subjects, such as "Real Estate" for example - there was a person on this forum a ways back who had a bunch of those and went this route).  A 'BA in Communications' will hold more weight than a 'BS in Professional Studies'.  

I know it has been suggested but why not the Dual AOS BSBA Entrepreneurship/Marketing and then if communication is your thing get a master in communication (or Amberton has a very flexible Master of Arts in Professional Development - a forum member made a detailed posting about it here:
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-graduated)

That's what I guessed about the Prof Studies--just a catch-all. Not preferable, but a good way to conglomerate varied interests at the undergrad level. 

I have my sites set on Amberton or Liberty for the Master in Comm. That's the next goal. It's definitely the subject I want to pursue further, with a healthy does of English/writing thrown in. But I haven't said much since it's still early in the game, and things can change. I've seen the MA Pro Studies option, though, and I think it's a very strong "Plan B" if I make it that far Smile

I wasn't suggesting going to WGU, I was simply comparing the TESU capstone VS, WGU's ENTIRE MBA program. One course vs an entire program. My overall point, the TESU capstones are no walk in the park.

Having recently completed the BSBA capstone at TESU, here is the ONE course breakdown.

1.  7 business case studies (1000-1100 words per case study, all APA style) account for 35% of the final grade. 
2.  The midterm (10 questions plus 4 written essays during the proctored exam, timed) account for 25% of the final grade. The essay questions are all related to the textbook and the midterm instructions provide some guidance in the chapters for possible essays.
3.  Final paper (3500 to 5000 words, all APA style) account for 20% of the final grade.
4.  Weekly discussions (12 total), (each post is usually around 250-400 words and three follow up comments from other posters (100-250 words per reply), all APA style) account for 15% of the final grade.
5.  ETS profile test, account for 5% of the final grade.

I am not clear on why you are planning on a BA in communication when you must take 3 or 4 communication courses from TESU. Communication and Marketing degrees have lots of overlap in material, and the Marketing degree doesn't require the extra courses at TESU. At lot of Colleges have   degrees that say, marketing communication or marketing and communication.

If I were going to take additional communication courses (just for learning, not degree) I wouldn't take them at TESU because the pricing is far higher than other Universities, OR complete a masters in communication.

Oh, I didn't catch that the first time around. That does sound like quite a project. What was involved in the case studies? And tell me more about these weekly discussions and how it works with replies, please. It seems this is becoming more popular in other schools too. How does it work?
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
Exams/Courses Taken (99 Credits)
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
  • Study.com - Coming soon...
(03-05-2020, 11:38 PM)SCYankee Wrote: Oh, I didn't catch that the first time around. That does sound like quite a project. What was involved in the case studies? And tell me more about these weekly discussions and how it works with replies, please. It seems this is becoming more popular in other schools too. How does it work?

Yes, its a fairly intense course (capstone), this is why its not recommended to take Two capstones during the same term. For the bsba capstone (case studies, discussions, etc), the syllabus provides all the details.

link: https://www2.tesu.edu/syllabus/current/B...S-421.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 11 563 1 hour ago
Last Post: jch
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 6 123 2 hours ago
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,566 Yesterday, 02:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 613 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 534 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 273 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,326 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 251 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 402 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 307 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az