Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about Excelsior BSLA degree planning
Hi, Included is my doc below with some ideas of how to fulfill the degree plan for EC BSLA. Any help would be appreciated, the questions are in yellow on the doc and have to do with:
1. If the LL classes on there are fulfilling the correct requirements
2. If the UL classes there would fulfill the UL "arts & sciences" requirement.

I really appreciate any help anyone could offer! Thank you so much in advance! 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing
A quick note: I would set up your spreadsheet better - put the Applied Professional (or Free Electives as I prefer to call them) down at the bottom, so that you don't get them mixed in with your main requirements.

Also, are you doing the BSL, or the BSLA? The BSL is a bit easier to manage, since there are more options for UL outside of Arts & Sciences (A&S). A BSLA requires all 30cr of UL to be in A&S, while a BSL allows for 12cr of UL in the A&S area, and then 9cr of the UL in the Free Electives (and therefore, counts that UL Cornerstone course which the BSLA will not).

Then, as you plan your actual courses, put them up in the actual areas that they fall into (so Humanities, SocSci, Math, and NatSci). That's how EU does it. For a BSL, you need 60cr in A&S (top) and 60cr in Electives (bottom). For the BSLA, you need 90/30 (another reason to go with the BSL).

Also, you should have a column to keep track of UL courses/credit. And I wouldn't bother with the course equivalency, since EU doesn't really do it for the BSL/BSLA.

------------------------------------------------------------------
HUMANITIES
Spanish I
Spanish II
Conflict Resolution
Public Speaking
Developing Effective Teams
Art History II
Workplace Communication
Art Appreciation (possible duplicate of Art History II)
Critical Thinking

SOCIAL SCIENCE/HISTORY
US History I
Topics in US History
Intro to Sociology
Intro to Psychology

NATSCI/MATH
Intro to Nutrition
Biology 101

FREE ELECTIVES
Info LIt
Cornerstone (UL)
Visual Communications
Career Readiness
Intro to IT
Personal Finance
Intro to Business
Principles of Management (UL I think)
Project Management

NOT ACCEPTED/UNKNOWN
Taking Charge of Your Economic Future

---------------------------------------------------------

The Coopersmith courses you chose are not ones that I know of that have been accepted by EU - but I can almost guarantee you that they're not A&S - any ECE course will be a Free Elective. Not sure about Family Therapy, but you'd be better off either using Study.com, or choosing Coopersmith courses that others have used so we know where they're probably going to work.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Thanksforhelphere
(03-30-2023, 11:46 AM)First, thank you so much for taking the time to respond and your help! I really appreciate it. Wrote: I have a few more questions reading through your note. 
  1. First, and primarily, the difference between the BSLA and BSL.. I guess I just don’t understand that or know where to see that on the Excelsior site?  (I only see the BSLA on p94-96 of the undergraduate catalog: http://publications.excelsior.edu/progra...LjA.)*This states that 30 credits must be UL, and 21 of these A&S for the BSLA

For example, where can I see these 2 points you brought up online? 
  • A BSLA requires all 30cr of UL to be in A&S, 
  • a BSL allows for 12cr of UL in the A&S area, and then 9cr of the UL in the Free Electives (and therefore, counts that UL Cornerstone course which the BSLA will not)
Sorry if this is a basic question! I appreciate any help you could offer! 
(03-30-2023, 08:02 PM)Thanksforhelphere Wrote:
(03-30-2023, 11:46 AM)First, thank you so much for taking the time to respond and your help! I really appreciate it. Wrote: I have a few more questions reading through your note. 
  1. First, and primarily, the difference between the BSLA and BSL.. I guess I just don’t understand that or know where to see that on the Excelsior site?  (I only see the BSLA on p94-96 of the undergraduate catalog: http://publications.excelsior.edu/progra...LjA.)*This states that 30 credits must be UL, and 21 of these A&S for the BSLA

For example, where can I see these 2 points you brought up online? 
  • A BSLA requires all 30cr of UL to be in A&S, 
  • a BSL allows for 12cr of UL in the A&S area, and then 9cr of the UL in the Free Electives (and therefore, counts that UL Cornerstone course which the BSLA will not)
Sorry if this is a basic question! I appreciate any help you could offer! 

They used to have a BA in Liberal Arts and a BS in Liberal Arts, but it looks like they now only have a BS, so you can disregard the info on the differences.

And it looks like I transposed the number of credits in the 2nd part - you need 21cr of UL in A&S, and 9cr of UL in anything.

So, for the BSL, you just need to get 21cr of UL in A&S (so things like Psych, Soc, History, English, etc).  3cr of the capstone will count here, so you just need to find 18cr. And then 9cr of UL in anything, and 3cr of the Cornerstone will count here, so you need to find 6cr (business courses are the easiest UL to find for cheap).
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Thanksforhelphere
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this help! Really appreciated and hopefully it can help others too.

(03-31-2023, 03:14 PM)Thanksforhelphere Wrote: Thank you so much for taking the time to write; this help! Really appreciated and hopefully it can help others too.
@OP, have you fully decided on EU? Excelsior has been busy with a few things, it seems they've recently had to deal with downsizing (again). From looking at their fast facts, the BSLA still remains as their most popular degree, and they did remove the BALA out of their list of programs since January 2023 program catalog doesn't have it anymore... Just checked their reviews and it's 50/50 on GlassDoor and other sites...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Hey OP...My question was, have you decided that you're going with EU? The reason I am asking is you've got a very short introduction to your first post and it doesn't indicate if you've looked at other institutions. My post was more a query to see if you've exhausted your options and came to the conclusion that the Excelsior BSLA is what you're looking at.

For a similar cost, ease, speed to get the degree completed, you have other options, such as COSC or UMPI, etc. It really depends on your answers to the template and last post addendum where I ask for more details, such as budget, commitments, study habits, etc. Essentially, have you decide on the degree/school and why are you going for the EU/BSLA?

Template/Addendum: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-03-2023, 06:55 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: For a similar cost, ease, speed to get the degree completed, you have other options, such as COSC or UMPI, etc.  It really depends on your answers to the template and last post addendum where I ask for more details, such as budget, commitments, study habits, etc.  Essentially, have you decide on the degree/school and why are you going for the EU/BSLA?

COSC can no longer be completed via alt-credit, there's nowhere to get the 30cr of UL you need (they accept almost none of SDC's courses as UL any longer).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 4 73 27 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 592 Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,164 Yesterday, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,902 Yesterday, 12:31 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 199 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,149 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,301 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 171 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 930 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 543 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM