Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BSBA CIS Help/Advice
Hey all!

This is my first time making a forum post here so I apologize if I am in the wrong section, but I feel this is the most applicable for my current issue.

I've been working on a BSBA in Computer Information Systems on and off over the past three years as my work schedule has allowed by combining my Community college credits with SDC and Sophia courses. I want to complete this degree but ran into an issue as I was getting ready to apply for graduation.

I originally referenced the page for this degree on TESU's website and the SDC to TESU transfer tool on SDC's website to map my degree out and was able to complete most of the required courses. Unfortunately, when I did my evaluation a few months back I found out I made a slight mistake, I needed 4 upper-level courses in the specialization but I only had three (with two lower-level courses). I was a bit frustrated as I thought that COS-241 should have transferred as an upper-level course, but I chalked it up to a wasted test and moved on. I then went and took the Computer Architecture course on SDC and was content thinking I had met the upper-level course requirements as I now had 4 upper-level COS/CIS courses. I went to check my academic evaluation today before I paid the various graduation application expenses and found out that my Computer Architecture course didn't transfer into my specialization, and now I am a bit lost on what to do.

I'm calling early tomorrow to talk to an advisor to see if I can get some sort of exception since I technically do have 1) the required amount of credits in the specialization and 2) the required amount of upper-level CIS/COS courses, but I'm not sure how that will go. This is my last hurdle to getting this degree and I am definitively crestfallen as I don't want to spend another semester and possibly upwards of $1k to fill this last requirement.

Does anyone have any advice on an approach to this problem or perhaps a reference for another course somewhere else that may transfer over into this specialization? Neither SDC nor Sophia seems to have any other upper-level courses that would apply to this specialization and I am not sure what to do. I feel pretty dumb for misunderstanding the degree requirements twice but don't know when I'll be able to afford the time and money to take this course from TESU or another traditional academic institution, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Here is an Imgur link to some pictures of my academic evaluation as well as the original degree with the electives I have circled.

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it!
Believe it or not, SDC's BUS 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising works in the BSBA/CIS AoS.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • -BlackGold-, jch, MrPanda
(09-22-2021, 04:02 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Believe it or not, SDC's BUS 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising works in the BSBA/CIS AoS.

Thanks for the reply!

Wow, that's super weird but promising! I see that it transfers as MAR-441 on the SDC tool-- has this transfer equivalency changed, or have they always accepted MAR-441 in that AoS? If my conversation with the advisor is unfruitful I will be sure to look into this and try it out, it doesn't seem too bad so this gives me some hope.
(09-22-2021, 04:20 PM)-BlackGold- Wrote:
(09-22-2021, 04:02 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Believe it or not, SDC's BUS 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising works in the BSBA/CIS AoS.

Thanks for the reply!

Wow, that's super weird but promising! I see that it transfers as MAR-441 on the SDC tool-- has this transfer equivalency changed, or have they always accepted MAR-441 in that AoS? If my conversation with the advisor is unfruitful I will be sure to look into this and try it out, it doesn't seem too bad so this gives me some hope.

It's always been MAR-441, and it's always been accepted at TESU.

Your conversation with an advisor will most likely NOT be fruitful.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-22-2021, 04:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

Well, that's unfortunate, thank you for the advice then! It looks like I won't be able to make December graduation but at least I have a backup plan.
Loo I know this is off topic but how’d you do on the computer architecture project ? Do  you have any tips, pointers, or recommendations?
(09-22-2021, 04:34 PM)Pats20 Wrote: Loo I know this is off topic but how’d you do on the computer architecture project ? Do  you have any tips, pointers, or recommendations?

Hey, no worries it's definitely a hard one!

In my opinion, the main difficulty actually comes from understanding the assignment and the rest can be learned through research.
Here is a brief summary of each phase in English:

Phase 1:
This step is about creating the 9 Functions (and your additional 5) in Logisisim NOT about making the ALU-- just its components

Phase 2:
Add your functions together with (a) multiplexer(s) and create an ALU. Then create a basic CU (this is as simple as using a splitter to connect the multiplexer(s) you use or as complicated as creating a whole separate function with a RAM module, just depends on how you design you ALU)
Creat the OpCode Table for your CPU (list the operating code for each function, the name of that function, and the shorthand for that function in assembly language[EX: 0001, Addition, ADD])

Phase 3:
Test these three functions in your ALU and provide proof that they work. You should honestly have checked these functions in phase 1&2 when creating and linking them, but now you need to document it.

Phase 4:
Create two address Jumps, one conditional and one non-conditional. this part is the most difficult to understand, but first, look around for an ALU design with an address jump and take into consideration how you can implement that with your control unit or if you need to redesign it.
After this, use the OpCode Table you made before to create codes in assembly language that results in the desired outcomes. I would recommend checking out this source as it explains how assembly code works and will give a point of reference on how your code should look and operate.

I made 9.5 separate ALU/CPUs in total before I fully figured it out, but if you look around at basic ALUs online and research the different aspects (Jumps, OpCode tables, Assembly language, ALU layouts/designs, etc.) it should be much easier. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me and I will do my best to respond.

EDIT: sorry I didn't say how well I did-- the grader was pretty generous so as long as you meet the basic requirements they will grade you well. Just follow the rubric and do your best! I ended up with a high grade but I probably spent more than 25 hours on just the project. You can probably pass it with about 5-10 hours if you have a better understanding of what you're trying to accomplish.
[-] The following 2 users Like -BlackGold-'s post:
  • rachel83az, Turkish
Thanks a lot BlackGold for the response ! Your instructions are so much more clear than theirs. I’m way past 25 hours. Lol.
(09-22-2021, 04:27 PM)-BlackGold- Wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

Well, that's unfortunate, thank you for the advice then! It looks like I won't be able to make December graduation but at least I have a backup plan.

Even if you had transferred in all 114cr properly, if you haven't completed the cornerstone and capstone by early November (so maybe the August term at the latest), then you can't make it for October 1 deadline to apply for graduation.  So the issue isn't that course.

If you have already taken the cornerstone and capstone, or will be done soon, then by all means apply for graduation now; then do the course on Study.com and send it in as fast as you can. They normally do the graduation audits later in the month, or even halfway through the next. So you have a little time to complete the course and have Study.com send in the transcript.

Good luck!
(09-22-2021, 09:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(09-22-2021, 04:27 PM)-BlackGold- Wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

Even if you had transferred in all 114cr properly, if you haven't completed the cornerstone and capstone by early November (so maybe the August term at the latest), then you can't make it for October 1 deadline to apply for graduation.  So the issue isn't that course.

If you have already taken the cornerstone and capstone, or will be done soon, then by all means apply for graduation now; then do the course on Study.com and send it in as fast as you can. They normally do the graduation audits later in the month, or even halfway through the next. So you have a little time to complete the course and have Study.com send in the transcript.

Good luck!

Thank you for this! I am finishing both those courses this week which is what lead me to this discovery in my evaluation. As of right now I am sitting with a full evaluation aside from that one spot, so I will have to get started with this course this weekend. Hopefully I can knock it out in a weekend or two and finish this degree. Thanks again for your input it has really relieved me!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confused Brit looking for advice BritStudent 30 1,888 2 hours ago
Last Post: allvia
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 3 112 Yesterday, 01:53 PM
Last Post: abriden
  WGU Advice - Bachelor's or Master's in Education? nykorn 3 375 Yesterday, 10:55 AM
Last Post: RachelB
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 23 1,032 04-13-2024, 09:15 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 158 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 520 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM
  UMBI Political Science Advice XNutty98 4 293 04-07-2024, 01:50 PM
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 55 1,761 04-06-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: crowbird
  Degree planning advice, fastest way, need help Bikingrox211 19 1,273 04-06-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Bikingrox211
  TESU - BA CS + BS CIS ahmedeo0510@gmail.com 12 374 04-03-2024, 12:34 PM