Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another Pierpont to UMPI thread - What to take next?
(09-09-2022, 08:57 AM)cclocks8 Wrote: I believe I have completed all my credits for Pierpont BOG AAS with an AOE in Communications. I'd like to do a BAS at UMPI in Business Management & Leadership or Business Project Management, eventually moving on to an MAOL.

I just have a couple quick questions I'd love some guidance on -

1. Will pierpont accept my comm internship credits?
  2. Will pierpont/umpi accept my D+ credits?
  3. Which Major from UMPI do you think is more valuable and/or easier to complete?
  4. Which classes should I take next to transition to UMPI? (I am planning on do the google UX course, because it will be helpful to me)
  5. Has anyone done the portfolio option through umpi?  I have a very extensive resume, so it might be worth the cost.
My credits are listed below, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

RA Credits U of Toledo Credits Grades
Mass Comm And Society 3 B
College Comp I 3 A-
Calculus-Bus 3 B
Physics of Music 3 A
Social Problems 3 A
Comm Internship 2 Pass
Theater 3 B+
Intro to Film 3 D+
Physics of Color 3 D+

Clep Credit
US History I 3

Sophia Credits
Sophia Intro Info Tech 3
Sophia Comm at Work 3
Sophia Envir. Science 3
Sophia US Hist II 3
Sohia Visual Comm 3
Sohpia Intro to Ethics 3
Sophia Managing Conflict 1
Sophia conflict resolution 3
Sophia Building Teams 1
Sohpia Intro to Web Dev 3
Sophia Art History I 3
Sophia Art History II 3
Sophia Microecon 3
Sophia Intro to Business 3

Total RA Credits 26
Total RA Credits not counting D+s 20

Total Clep + Sophia Credits 41

I'll tell you right ow that you probably won't get into the BAS but you will get into the BLS. The BAS is very difficult to get into as you need 40 technical credits and they are really picky about them. 

I wouldn't spend the time on the portfolio review. I'd get to working on UMPI courses instead. You'll get grades for those classes and they count towards the 30 credit residency which the portfolio doesn't count towards. You'll need 24 UL credits for the BLS with the majority of them completed at UMPI as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • origamishuttle
(09-09-2022, 02:29 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-09-2022, 08:57 AM)cclocks8 Wrote: I believe I have completed all my credits for Pierpont BOG AAS with an AOE in Communications. I'd like to do a BAS at UMPI in Business Management & Leadership or Business Project Management, eventually moving on to an MAOL.

I just have a couple quick questions I'd love some guidance on -

1. Will pierpont accept my comm internship credits?
  2. Will pierpont/umpi accept my D+ credits?
  3. Which Major from UMPI do you think is more valuable and/or easier to complete?
  4. Which classes should I take next to transition to UMPI? (I am planning on do the google UX course, because it will be helpful to me)
  5. Has anyone done the portfolio option through umpi?  I have a very extensive resume, so it might be worth the cost.
My credits are listed below, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

RA Credits U of Toledo Credits Grades
Mass Comm And Society 3 B
College Comp I 3 A-
Calculus-Bus 3 B
Physics of Music 3 A
Social Problems 3 A
Comm Internship 2 Pass
Theater 3 B+
Intro to Film 3 D+
Physics of Color 3 D+

Clep Credit
US History I 3

Sophia Credits
Sophia Intro Info Tech 3
Sophia Comm at Work 3
Sophia Envir. Science 3
Sophia US Hist II 3
Sohia Visual Comm 3
Sohpia Intro to Ethics 3
Sophia Managing Conflict 1
Sophia conflict resolution 3
Sophia Building Teams 1
Sohpia Intro to Web Dev 3
Sophia Art History I 3
Sophia Art History II 3
Sophia Microecon 3
Sophia Intro to Business 3

Total RA Credits 26
Total RA Credits not counting D+s 20

Total Clep + Sophia Credits 41

I'll tell you right ow that you probably won't get into the BAS but you will get into the BLS. The BAS is very difficult to get into as you need 40 technical credits and they are really picky about them. 

I wouldn't spend the time on the portfolio review. I'd get to working on UMPI courses instead. You'll get grades for those classes and they count towards the 30 credit residency which the portfolio doesn't count towards. You'll need 24 UL credits for the BLS with the majority of them completed at UMPI as well.
Thanks for the insight! Do you think the Google ux course would count as technical credits? If I can get accepted in to the BAS program, I might try to do it as a BAS in professional communications.
US History I clep 04/05/21 68
(09-12-2022, 04:34 PM)cclocks8 Wrote: Thanks for the insight! Do you think the Google ux course would count as technical credits? If I can get accepted in to the BAS program, I might try to do it as a BAS in professional communications.

I can't tell you that any Google courses will count as technical credits for the BAS. Like I said, they are VERY picky about the 40 technical credits. I had over 40 RA business admin credits and was denied entry into the BAS even though bus admin is one of the programs listed. The BAS technically isn't available on YourPace. Professional communications isn't a minor available on YourPace either. There is no way to complete this minor in YourPace as it's an on campus minor. A few of the courses are available in YourPace. The required capstone is not. Neither is PCJ315. None of the options for the 9 credits are available in YourPace either. 

http://catalog.umpi.edu/preview_program....turnto=120

Here is where you'll find the minors that are available in YourPace:

https://online.umpi.edu/

There is the option to complete the BA in English with Professional Communication & Journalism Concentration in YourPace.
(09-12-2022, 05:01 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-12-2022, 04:34 PM)cclocks8 Wrote: Thanks for the insight! Do you think the Google ux course would count as technical credits? If I can get accepted in to the BAS program, I might try to do it as a BAS in professional communications.

I can't tell you that any Google courses will count as technical credits for the BAS. Like I said, they are VERY picky about the 40 technical credits. I had over 40 RA business admin credits and was denied entry into the BAS even though bus admin is one of the programs listed. The BAS technically isn't available on YourPace. Professional communications isn't a minor available on YourPace either. There is no way to complete this minor in YourPace as it's an on campus minor. A few of the courses are available in YourPace. The required capstone is not. Neither is PCJ315. None of the options for the 9 credits are available in YourPace either. 

http://catalog.umpi.edu/preview_program....turnto=120

Here is where you'll find the minors that are available in YourPace:

https://online.umpi.edu/

There is the option to complete the BA in English with Professional Communication & Journalism Concentration in YourPace.

Thanks. I was going off the "hidden degree option" in the wiki, thinking I might be able to squeak through without having to do the journalism specific classes in the English BA. 

Also, it's probably an internal bias, but the idea of having an English degree makes me cringe a little...

I've got a few more classes to get through before applying to umpi either way!
I officially got my pierpont acceptance, and they gave me 29 credits from UT! I was hoping for 26, so I was pleasantly surprised. I'm still not sure if they accepted my communications internship. It shows up as earned hours but not as GPA hours, so I have no idea what that means.
Neither my clep nor Sophia Credits have shown up yet, though I submitted them all on the same day, August 9th. I'm still hoping to graduate in December, what do you think are the chances?
[-] The following 1 user Likes cclocks8's post:
  • ss20ts
For regionally accredited courses, they'll come in more clearly than alternative credit such as your ACE/CLEP options.  I would wait at least couple weeks to a month for the update.  While you are waiting though, you can decide which bachelor's to go for and work towards that... UMPI would be a great option to ladder up to: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-02-2022, 05:02 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: For regionally accredited courses, they'll come in more clearly than alternative credit such as your ACE/CLEP options.  I would wait at least couple weeks to a month for the update.  While you are waiting though, you can decide which bachelor's to go for and work towards that... UMPI would be a great option to ladder up to: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC
That's what I'm hoping to do! Just need to figure out the best / fastest major. I really wanted to do the "hidden degree option" and get a BAS in professional communications, but it doesn't look like it's a possibility, unfortunately.
(10-02-2022, 06:24 PM)cclocks8 Wrote:
(10-02-2022, 05:02 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: For regionally accredited courses, they'll come in more clearly than alternative credit such as your ACE/CLEP options.  I would wait at least couple weeks to a month for the update.  While you are waiting though, you can decide which bachelor's to go for and work towards that... UMPI would be a great option to ladder up to: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC
That's what I'm hoping to do! Just need to figure out the best / fastest major. I really wanted to do the "hidden degree option" and get a BAS in professional communications, but it doesn't look like it's a possibility, unfortunately.

They have a whole BA which focuses on communication and journalism.

https://online.umpi.edu/degrees/undergra...ournalism/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 1 69 Yesterday, 02:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Member with a UMPI Question colonelcamp 13 416 04-19-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,072 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 12 508 04-13-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 602 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 11 1,085 04-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  UMPI BABA Project Management with Zero Starting Credits ChickenEnjoyer 39 2,377 04-07-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: layermonkey
  UMPI Psy Degree Help Priszilla 12 937 04-06-2024, 04:37 PM
  Fastest & Easiest UMPI Bachelor's shawnette 8 392 04-05-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Graduate TAMUC>UMPI graduatemore 7 573 03-21-2024, 09:14 PM