Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BSBA Degree plan review
Hi all

I'm going through a degree plan I was working on last year and want to *actually* get started with it. Could I get some extra eyes on it to update it for 2019/to start this month with the free courses?

[url= https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing[/url]

I'm starting with no transferrable credits (though I might be able to get a BA from the school I went to for a certificate program where I can transfer in the equivalent of 60 credits toward the program. They were somewhat recently RA'ed and allow for up to 75% of the credit needed to be transferred from out of the school... might go for both but would prefer to get the BSBA for what I want to do in the next couple years.)

Thank you!

(the sheet is editable by anyone with this link)
(08-05-2019, 08:07 PM)coloradocale Wrote: Hi all

I'm going through a degree plan I was working on last year and want to *actually* get started with it. Could I get some extra eyes on it to update it for 2019/to start this month with the free courses?

[url= https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing[/url]

I'm starting with no transferrable credits (though I might be able to get a BA from the school I went to for a certificate program where I can transfer in the equivalent of 60 credits toward the program. They were somewhat recently RA'ed and allow for up to 75% of the credit needed to be transferred from out of the school... might go for both but would prefer to get the BSBA for what I want to do in the next couple years.)

Thank you!

(the sheet is editable by anyone with this link)

What is the other school? Is it accredited? I know EC accepts NA credit? and if it is RA then TESU may accept it.
It's the Digital Animation & Visual Effects School (DAVE School), the classes I took there are from when it was ACICS accredited plus are pretty focused for the Gaming/VFX industry that I doubt they'll be accepted anywhere else (http://www.daveschool.com/programs/game-...a-program/)

DAVE School is RA accredited now and I would be able to use the 60 credits from the certificate program I completed there but I'm pretty sure completing the degree there would require moving back to Orlando to take some of the courses. The problem is I have very, very little interest in at the moment with my current job (absolutely love it and want to stay at it for a couple years, it's VFX/Game related on the tech side) and living situation (in the process of buying a house in Denver and don't really want to live anywhere else after having lived in FL, NY, and CA)
(08-05-2019, 09:30 PM)coloradocale Wrote: It's the Digital Animation & Visual Effects School (DAVE School), the classes I took there are from when it was ACICS accredited plus are pretty focused for the Gaming/VFX industry that I doubt they'll be accepted anywhere else (http://www.daveschool.com/programs/game-...a-program/)

DAVE School is RA accredited now and I would be able to use the 60 credits from the certificate program I completed there but I'm pretty sure completing the degree there would require moving back to Orlando to take some of the courses (which I have very, very little interest in at the moment with my current job and living situation)

Yeah. You are right they probably won't be accepted. But it doesn't hurt to at least send your transcripts to TESU and see what happens, you never know unless you try.

Also if you are starting from scratch EC, COSC, WGU are all cheaper. Just wanted to make sure you were aware.
The cheaper + faster the better, would I need to start my plan from scratch to bring the cost down? I've been looking at doing this for a couple of years and built my original plan a while ago. What I have at the moment has been updated over time for TESU since it was less than the others and haven't really read into any of the options/what's needed in about a year or so
(08-05-2019, 09:47 PM)coloradocale Wrote: The cheaper + faster the better, would I need to start my plan from scratch to bring the cost down? I've been looking at doing this for a couple of years and built my original plan a while ago. What I have at the moment has been updated over time for TESU since it was less than the others and haven't really read into any of the options/what's needed in about a year or so

As for right now July 2019, TESU is around 2.5k more than COSC for BSBA.
WGU is by far the cheapest and fastest for a BSBA, however, that's provided that you can finish in one term. Also, WGU is for US residents only.

I think they are all about the same as far as time starting from scratch. Things to keep in mind:

-COSC you need a lab science
-COSC and EC require 30 UL while TESU only requires 15
-TESU is ACSB certified as is WGU (not sure how important that is to you)
-COSC you can double dip requirements (meaning one course can meet multiple requirements)
-I believe COSC and EC allow for more free electives (don't quote me on this) but I know TESU only allows 6 credits free electives
-COSC and EC allow Shoomp but TESU does not
-WGU does not accept Shoomp or NCCRS credit (more alt credit is ACE anyways)
WGU is looking very attractive! I am a US resident and was originally looking at following up with a graduate degree from there as well at some point after the BS.

What changes would I need to make to the degree plan to further reduce costs/transfer credits to complete everything in one or two terms? I work full-time which requires 1-2 weeks of travel a month to do technical installation & training). I think I should be able to qualify for at least one of the scholarships and need to research other scholarship options as I'm not too keen on taking out loans.

My current plan is mostly SL, Saylor, and Study courses but would love to find more sources of free or cheap credit.
Known sources of free credit:

3 credits from sophia (3 1 credit courses)
3 credits from Institutes
10 credits from TEEX
All cleps are free with modern states if you have access to center this might be a good option.

Saylor although cheap isn't recommend much here because the courses aren’t good and exams are difficult. Try it and see how you do.

If you transfer everything to WGU. Then you would need to average one course every 2-3 weeks to graduate in one term.

With wgu you can only get wgu specfic scholarship. The easiest one is the straighterline which is only take 4 straighterline courses and transfer them. You can combine this with any outside aid you get as well.

They also now have wgu Academy. I know someone else who used can speak to this but it is like straighterline but through Wgu and cheaper.

I can't recommend CSM enough. It's only $39 and I think it meets the math requirement at WGU. Do this course no matter what school you choose.

Say somehow you did all your credits for free.

The cheapest you could do at TESU is around 5200.

Say somehow you also did 90 credits for free abd transfered those to WGU. The cheapest you could do is around 3200. Of course that is before any scholarships.
(08-06-2019, 08:18 AM)natshar Wrote: Known sources of free credit:

10 credits from TEEX
All cleps are free with modern states if you have access to center this might be a good option.

Saylor although cheap isn't recommend much here because the courses aren’t good and exams are difficult. Try it and see how you do.

If you transfer everything to WGU. Then you would need to average one course every 2-3 weeks to graduate in one term.

With wgu you can only get wgu specfic scholarship. The easiest one is the straighterline which is only take 4 straighterline courses and transfer them. You can combine this with any outside aid you get as well.

They also now have wgu Academy. I know someone else who used can speak to this but it is like straighterline but through Wgu and cheaper.

I can't recommend CSM enough. It's only $39 and I think it meets the math requirement at WGU. Do this course no matter what school you choose.

Say somehow you also did 90 credits for free abd transfered those to WGU. The cheapest you could do is around 3200. Of course that is before any scholarships.

Awesome, I'll look into getting all the free credits mentioned! 16 credits is a nice start for sure and there are a couple CLEP centers nearby so that's helpful.

I might skip on Saylor then and go for one's that are less stressful to have on top of work.

Ah good to know on the scholarship, with the savings of $3200 instead of $5200 and the StraighterLine or back to school scholarships that isn't as big of a deal. 

I'll read up on WGU Academy as well.

What is CSM?

And if I can do 90 free credits, I will do 90 free credits lol

Since it's been a while since I was originally done this I've forgotten quite a bit of the process :| Would I want to apply to WGU after getting all the credit done, or apply now (they have the application fee waived at the moment) and work with enrollment to come up with a course plan/lock in the curriculum for the term?
(08-06-2019, 08:54 AM)coloradocale Wrote:
(08-06-2019, 08:18 AM)natshar Wrote: Known sources of free credit:

10 credits from TEEX

Awesome, I'll look into getting all the free credits mentioned! 16 credits is a nice start for sure and there are a couple CLEP centers nearby so that's helpful.

I might skip on Saylor then and go for one's that are less stressful to have on top of work.

Ah good to know on the scholarship, with the savings of $3200 instead of $5200 and the StraighterLine or back to school scholarships that isn't as big of a deal. 

I'll read up on WGU Academy as well.

What is CSM?

And if I can do 90 free credits, I will do 90 free credits lol

Since it's been a while since I was originally done this I've forgotten quite a bit of the process :| Would I want to apply to WGU after getting all the credit done, or apply now (they have the application fee waived at the moment) and work with enrollment to come up with a course plan/lock in the curriculum for the term?

If you want to you can at least try Saylor and see how you like it. It's free to browse the materials and $25 for the exam. They have free non credit courses on easy stuff so did the finals on those and failed. Too many tricky questions, that way I was able to see it didn't work for me. So you can get a glimpse of it without spending much money or time at all. Who knows you might like Saylor, you never know unless you try. 

The scholarships are a big deal, but you can only use one of the WGU ones. So the straighterline would be $500/term. So it would bring it down to 2775. But if you got pell grant or other scholarships through work or local it would be even less. But I forgot in my calculations to include the $145 book fee WGU so add that in.

CSM is an amazing math course worth 3 credits and only $39 just take it. https://www.csmlearn.com/product/course

I'm not sure if you can all 90 credits free. (that might be a post for another thread.)

https://www.wgu.edu/online-business-degr...ogram.html

They also have marketing and HR if you'd prefer that.

Courses in WGU's program: https://www.wgu.edu/online-business-degr...ogram.html

If you match it with similar cleps, courses, etc you should be good. Maybe start another thread for this??
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • coloradocale

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 497 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 444 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 465 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,281 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 257 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,216 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 231 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 367 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 359 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 299 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az