Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BSBA with foreign credits
Exclamation 
Hello everybody,

1. Firstly, hats off to each and everyone in their journey for knowledge. Appreciate the responses that I have already received and the numerous templates available.
I moved to the united states around 2005 had a lot of adventure with my own work, went through life and now I have a regular 8-hour job and I like what I do, so far. I consider myself to be a creative person and feel that the time has come for me to think differently at work and in life in general. 
Thought of starting my master's degree in 2009 and visited a few institutions too. That was then, I am here now. 

This year I got serious and started my roadmap for which my starting point was getting my foreign 3-year degree evaluated. Note the following:
-I graduated in 2001 with a business degree
-that I was in possession of all the original marks statement for all three years
-that I never collected my degree or transcripts
-my three-year marks statement were enough, all this time. 

So the tedious task of digging up my transcript and degree began in early 2018 (Feb) from the foreign university. After much difficulty, I sent it all for evaluation to WES.
WES deemed my foreign degree to be equivalent to a three-year degree in the U.S awarding me a total of 90 credits.

I was under the impression that I could bridge the gap and secure some form of conditional admission in a masters program or at least get admitted to an undergraduate program and complete this formality. I am tired of phone calls, emails and transcript fees.

I am so glad all of this happened. I am not going to waste my time anymore. I could be very well studying and I already am. I found about the process and you all evening of Jul 17, did as much research as possible and am now ready to get some more help. 
  • I went through the beginner's guide and please don't hesitate to mention that to me again, should the need arise. 
  • Wiki link is broken.
  • Yes, I (according to WES) have 90 US equivalent credits and original documents.
     2. So that you all could better gauge
[*]I am looking at a fast track. So the order will be fast/easy/cheap (checked with my benefits provider and found that CLEP, SL, DSST expenses are all covered)

[*]Yes, at my new work location I am about 2 miles from the nearest CLEP testing site. Shouldn't take 5-8 minutes
[*]I have time to study in the evenings and could go test at a site as well. Online would also be an option as the benefits cover it. (if going online will help me knock tests out better if         you guys experienced it, I am all for it)
[*]I have $5400 set aside for this year. Idea is to finish off an undergraduate degree. Then like "Johnnie Walker" ...keep walking and visit with MBA
[*]So the order will be fast/easy/cheap

3. What help or advice am I looking for?
  • I visited TESU website, talked to them and was advised to apply first
  • WES is going to send them my evaluation (course by course) and my certified transcript and degree from the previous institution
  • I need help understanding how do their bachelors to MBA program work (will it be conducive to use my existing credit in some form, fulfill missing credits and jump to an MBA OR
    complete my undergraduate degree go to a school of my choice? (Thinking of a live classroom setting for a few during my masters)-For the purpose of finishing the undergraduate program first. I compared most programs in TESU and have narrowed it down to BSBA CIS or BSBA MARKETING (don't know how closely previous credits will align with it but from the looks of it, it does to a large extent. (check the .xls file attached)-I want you guys to critique my plan, give me pointers so that when I talk to the advisor in a few days, I could contribute and drive the plan-I want to understand the what. I have received a lot of information in the last 3 days and I am ready to act. -I consider myself confident and understand that I can do it and this is the way I am going.Thank you all for paying attention. Attached is a draft of my degree planP

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU BSBA CIS.xlsx (Size: 61.33 KB / Downloads: 13)
Hi, I have homework for you. Since you have a WES evaluation, copy/paste it into this thread (screenshots would be fine). You should remove personal information from the picture you will post. I would focus on one BSBA concentration, I recommend just getting the General Management option completed first. If you would like the Accounting, CIS, Marketing or whatever, you can add one of them afterward.

I have had a few people say that their evaluation of courses was equivalent to 3-4 year US degrees, but they omit one critical piece of info... I want to know which Country and School you attended, and within the evaluation, does it indicate the school is Accredited or Non-Accredited. This info would provide me more details of what General Ed/Professional requirements have been completed as the spreadsheet you have only contained 17 courses, which means ~45 credits or so, out of the 90 it should represent.

Furthermore, do you have a family? Kids? How much time do you have a day/week to work on your education? Which state are you currently in? The end goal or result (MBA) is a great choice, and you decided on TESU which is a great option as well. This degree will allow you to get into other ACBSP Masters programs, but I would recommend finishing up first and then decide on one.

Lastly, the old Wiki doesn't work as it's been closed, however, there is a mirror site. It's been mentioned in a couple of posts.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • pgsatx
You need to wait to see what TESU gives you for credit. You may also want to talk to EC and COSC to see if you get a better "deal" from them. They will take WES.

Then, we can help you map out a plan for whichever degree you want. It doesn't take me long to put something together, but it's a matter of what TESU brings everything in as before starting.

In the meantime, if you know that you want to take some specific courses, you could start on the ones you know for certain you haven't taken.

Also, in looking at your credits, it looks like you have a lot of Accounting and management courses. Your best bet might be to get the BSBA in accounting, with a 2nd concentration if you still want the CIS - otherwise, you lose all the accounting credits (looks like all 18cr in accounting might already be there, but if not, taking the few needed would probably be very cheap and easy to finish).

Go ahead and think about doing your Gen Eds - English Comp, Comparative Politics/Am Govt, Ethics, Speech, Sociology, College Algebra, Statistics, and also the CIS courses you're interested in. If you take them through Study.com or SL, you can send them directly to TESU with no fees, which is an added bonus. If you take CLEP or DSST exams, you can have them sent directly to TESU for free as well.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • pgsatx
@bjcheung
I have homework for you----here begins the fun. I feel pumped now!
-I have had a few people say that their evaluation of courses was equivalent to 3-4 year US degrees, but they omit one critical piece of info... I want to know which Country and School you attended, and within the evaluation, does it indicate the school is Accredited or Non-Accredited. School is in India, HNB University.

**That is a very important point. Checked my report and am glad that it will be valid (school will have to accept, more than anything else I believe)
-Attached the screenshots

-Furthermore, do you have a family? Kids? How much time do you have a day/week to work on your education? Which state are you currently in?
**I am in Texas, my spouse will join me from Florida soon (geographically separated due to her job). Siblings, parents, in-laws are located overseas. Kids, not yet
but hopefully
soon.
**I work full time and get home around 4ish. I can apply myself and focus atleast 2-3 hours each day most days of the week. I can devote a greater part of my
weekend towards studies. My wife realizes I will remain busy.

@dfrecore
-You need to wait to see what TESU gives you for credit.
**Yes, I am getting the evaluation and transcript out to them.

-You may also want to talk to EC and COSC to see if you get a better "deal" from them.
**I asked EC and they will not accept WES for foreign evaluation. ECE and ECE only
**Dropped COSC from my radar (felt TESU will work great....I just felt that way after running all around)

-Also, in looking at your credits, it looks like you have a lot of Accounting and management courses
**I hope in pursuing accounting again I don't have to take courses that will increase my time in going through and finishing them with good marks

-if you still want the CIS - otherwise, you lose all the accounting credits
**ah! I see. Wonder if there is a middle path? (Not lose too much i.e. in the stream of BSBA) Reason for CIS - I am in IT (development), thought ....well, while I
am at my undergraduate anyway, might as well get something relevant. I see the point. I would like to preserve what I can and not lose a huge chunk of credit
(TESU will give the verdict on that, correct?)

-Go ahead and think about doing your Gen Eds
**I have looked into multiple sites and registered in a few. PLA, CLEP, DSST, UExcel, SL are some of the services I can use and pay for without sweat.
**I will halt my foray into other subjects (information systems etc) and shift my attention to General Education subjects and start knocking them out. That will be a
good use of my time in the interim.

.png   evaluation1.png (Size: 98.07 KB / Downloads: 62)
.png   evaluation2.png (Size: 90.13 KB / Downloads: 47)
.png   evaluation3.png (Size: 78.99 KB / Downloads: 37)
.png   evaluation1.png (Size: 98.07 KB / Downloads: 62)
.png   evaluation2.png (Size: 90.13 KB / Downloads: 47)
.png   evaluation3.png (Size: 78.99 KB / Downloads: 37)
I don't think there are any folks here who have done the TESU bachelor's to master's. TESU is an expensive place to get a master's because there aren't any "test out" options as there are for a bachelor's. It might allow you to start master's courses while you're finishing the bachelor's, but I think that isn't a strong enough benefit to justify the cost.

A lot of people here look to WGU and other competency based programs to do an MBA quickly and cheaply. However, it's worthwhile to consider what exactly you want from an MBA. While the knowledge is available from an online program, many people look to an MBA program for the opportunity to network and engage with peers. Especially when some of those peers might be executives at local firms. You might prefer to go to a local university where that would be possible. Also, you might also want to think about finding an employer who would help with tuition for a MBA.

(07-19-2018, 10:53 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: ...

Lastly, the old Wiki doesn't work as it's been closed, however, there is a mirror site.  It's been mentioned in a couple of posts.

New link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Degree_Forum_Wiki
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Zippadeedoodah
(07-20-2018, 10:46 AM)davewill Wrote: I don't think there are any folks here who have done the TESU bachelor's to master's. TESU is an expensive place to get a master's because there aren't any "test out" options as there are for a bachelor's. It might allow you to start master's courses while you're finishing the bachelor's, but I think that isn't a strong enough benefit to justify the cost.

A lot of people here look to WGU and other competency based programs to do an MBA quickly and cheaply. However, it's worthwhile to consider what exactly you want from an MBA. While the knowledge is available from an online program, many people look to an MBA program for the opportunity to network and engage with peers. Especially when some of those peers might be executives at local firms. You might prefer to go to a local university where that would be possible. Also, you might also want to think about finding an employer who would help with tuition for a MBA.

(07-19-2018, 10:53 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: ...

Lastly, the old Wiki doesn't work as it's been closed, however, there is a mirror site.  It's been mentioned in a couple of posts.

New link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Degree_Forum_Wiki
I personally feel that diving into this forum I have found information that is more valuable than any other person in any other institution. Thanks for the input. I feel I will be inclining towards finishing an undergraduate, then look at a class based MBA program eventually. As for tuition cost for MBA or any other program, I do not have to worry as my employer provides higher studies as much as I want to undertake (no condition on being pertinent to my area of work). That's a great perk and privilege.
(07-20-2018, 09:28 AM)pgsatx Wrote: -if you still want the CIS - otherwise, you lose all the accounting credits
 **ah! I see. Wonder if there is a middle path? (Not lose too much i.e. in the stream of BSBA) Reason for CIS - I am in IT (development), thought ....well, while I
    am at my undergraduate anyway, might as well get something relevant. I see the point. I would like to preserve what I can and not lose a huge chunk of credit

Depending on how your accounting credits come in you may want to go for the TESU BSBA - Accounting https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/accounting, add on their ASNSM in Computer Science https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/asnsm/computer-science and then move to WGU for an MBA in IT.  This could definitely maximize not only your credits, but your career options long term. To be an "Accountant" with an background and degree in CS/IT will always offer you more than having a business degree and an IT degree, especially since the financial industry has always been a pivotal industry in technology and development.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(07-20-2018, 11:25 AM)allvia Wrote:
(07-20-2018, 09:28 AM)pgsatx Wrote: -if you still want the CIS - otherwise, you lose all the accounting credits

Depending on how your accounting credits come in you may want to go for the TESU BSBA - Accounting https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/accounting, add on their ASNSM in Computer Science https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/asnsm/computer-science and then move to WGU for an MBA in IT.  This could definitely maximize not only your credits, but your career options long term. To be an "Accountant" with an background and degree in CS/IT will always offer you more than having a business degree and an IT degree, especially since the financial industry has always been a pivotal industry in technology and development.
From the looks of it, Accounting will (possibly) transfer most credits. Will update everybody on what TESU will accept. I feel the best is for me to accomplish my eligibility i.e. an undergraduate qualification, first, as soon as I can.

Question: 
On the Accounting/CIS/Marketing etc in TESU stream information page I see areas such as:
*Knowledge of Human Cultures
*Understanding the Physical and Natural World
*General Education Electives

-Where do I find, what courses fall under each and how many will I be required to take? I think I can take on subjects that are common across the board and start checking them off my list including mathematics. Any thoughts? 

@BJCHEUNG: my excel sheet does not indicate the subjects as I am still trying to locate it.

Hurray!! Transcript and evaluation sent electronically. (patting myself on my back) Didn't think I would get it done so quick, especially with a busy thursday and friday. This is going to be a productive weekend.

Does the following link list all the TESU acceptable CLEP?
https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/c...am-program
(07-20-2018, 01:36 PM)pgsatx Wrote: Question: 
On the Accounting/CIS/Marketing etc in TESU stream information page I see areas such as:
*Knowledge of Human Cultures
*Understanding the Physical and Natural World
*General Education Electives

-Where do I find, what courses fall under each and how many will I be required to take? I think I can take on subjects that are common across the board and start checking them off my list including mathematics. Any thoughts? 

Hurray!! Transcript and evaluation sent electronically. (patting myself on my back) Didn't think I would get it done so quick, especially with a busy thursday and friday. This is going to be a productive weekend.

Does the following link list all the TESU acceptable CLEP?
https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/c...am-program

To answer you first question about the Gen Eds and related: here is the link to TESU page https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2016-and-after2 NOTE: that this should be used as a guide of subjects and type of course/credits that would fit, as what is listed is only what TESU offers - not inclusive of what will meet the criteria.  In example Knowledge of Human Cultures is a very broad category one that includes Languages so you could CLEP that instead of taking it through TESU - actually ALL of the areas can be completed outside of TESU and transferred in, if you look at the subjects you may already have credits to cover these areas (I have not looked at your transcript you posted)

Your second comment about the evaluation being sent to TESU, very good - but don't expect TESU to be quick to update the official evaluation, three weeks is not uncommon.  You will receive an email from them when it is complete, until that time don't read or worry too much about where things may get placed temporarily (things get moved around often during this phase, sometime they do get left in the wrong spots but you can request to have them moved only after they have confirmed that they have completed the eval)

Does the link show all the CLEPs that TESU will take - I'd have to say yes, because I'm pretty sure it shows all the CLEPS available and how TESU will give you credit for them.  Don't forget modernstates for options to take many of those for free.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Hi everybody, 

I finally enrolled at TESU and ready to start taking away courses. I recall, last year I was a bit too ambitious and considered some study plans (I did not know how many credits would transfer over to TESU with my evaluation from WES) such as CIS, Marketing etc.

After careful consideration and keeping my mind my overall goal of getting an accredited bachelors degree in US, I have found the following:

BSBA General Management
Total Credit required = 120
Total Credit applied = 70
Total remaining credit = 50

This is the best scenario by far where I have to complete only 50 credits. Everything else is above 50 credits, from what I have compared. 

I have charted out a plan for now and would appreciate if anybody could please take time and review. What I would like you to review and comment on:

-Subjects in General Education Electives that I could think about and make it quicker with testing out.
-Any other item that I missed in the plan
-Where can I find information on whether I could test out on most of the subjects (where do I compare TESU list of course against subjects that can be tested out? Compare the course numbers in sites such as Saylor etc.?)

Thanks,
sodaspr

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 698 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 163 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 238 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP