Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BSBA with foreign credits
(11-13-2019, 12:53 PM)pgsatx Wrote: Yesterday in the evening I wrote back to TESU to consider my appeal for 
1. F: GE Electives ECO270 Statistics meets  E: Statics requirement (within Mathematics) 
2. Other courses: Can we make use of either ACC412 and ACC499 to replace Group 2 subject ACC 285

This morning I when I logged back into academic evaluation again under General Management, I noticed that the required SH had changed completely.
I reached out to the academic program advisor and she clarified that:
-Online evaluation was an estimation and that once I confirmed my choice as General Management, an advisor had to manually update the selection of my course of choice and update the evaluation to consider foreign credits and adjust them manually. There is a time limit of courses taken over 7 years, 9 years etc.

To summarize: 
BSBA-General Management
Total SH =120 123
Foreign Credit: 70 50
Total Required SH = 50 73

I am attaching the evaluation in word doc again for BSBA and BALIBST. 

I am not disappointed, I understand my last educational course was back in time. Just perspiring that I have a stack of coursework instead to cover for more SH. I have to choose what sucks least even if I have to cover more credits (BALIBST v/s BSBA Gen Mgmt). 

What do you all think after looking at the evaluation? I have to write back to TESU upon deciding which course I wish to pursue so that they could " lock" it in for me.

Alas, such things happen - at least you have your official evaluation complete.  On the plus side you did receive generous credit for the courses that did apply (5 vs the common 3 credits).  I'm going to recommend that you stick with the the BSBA-GM; you're already 10 Credits UL in the AOS and you only need 12 (you'd be starting at zero UL with the BALS, and it needs 15).

You already have the knowledge in the business subjects based on your 'outdated' credits (it's not like the foundation of accounting has revolutionized in the past decade or more - beyond the software used), so you may need a few extra credits than the BALS but really it is only 7 credits (or just over 2 courses/exams - all LL).  Everything you need is at low-cost and easy to obtain. Plus the BSBA-GM fits with your background and knowledge; plus you know that the BSBA is what you really want on your resume Smile

I see they did give you that Statistics credit too - that is great so many here put off taking that one until they must.  I recommend SDC's Business 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising for your remaining UL, and it cover the A: GMS Required Group 2 (need 3 out of 4 topics - you have accounting and management, this would give you marketing).  Of course there are a few UL Finance (one and done) exams I see posted about here that would work as well - I just don't which ones they are (I'm sure others can guide you on that).

If you're close to a CLEP center I would suggest that you test out of as much as you can; between Modern States (MS), your educational background and the flashcards available through InsantCert (https://www.instantcert.com - they are the hosts of this forum, and its a cheap study tool for such a one and done exam) you could get through quite a few things quickly (and free CLEP exams through MS as a bonus).  My previous post of provider options still apply for everything you need.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • pgsatx
I don't think the difference in the number of credits needed is significant enough to pick the Liberal Studies degree over the BSBA, especially when with your stated goal of an MBA.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • pgsatx
(11-13-2019, 02:02 PM)allvia Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 12:53 PM)pgsatx Wrote: Yesterday in the evening I wrote back to TESU to consider my appeal for 
1. F: GE Electives ECO270 Statistics meets  E: Statics requirement (within Mathematics) 
2. Other courses: Can we make use of either ACC412 and ACC499 to replace Group 2 subject ACC 285

This morning I when I logged back into academic evaluation again under General Management, I noticed that the required SH had changed completely.
I reached out to the academic program advisor and she clarified that:
-Online evaluation was an estimation and that once I confirmed my choice as General Management, an advisor had to manually update the selection of my course of choice and update the evaluation to consider foreign credits and adjust them manually. There is a time limit of courses taken over 7 years, 9 years etc.

To summarize: 
BSBA-General Management
Total SH =120 123
Foreign Credit: 70 50
Total Required SH = 50 73

I am attaching the evaluation in word doc again for BSBA and BALIBST. 

I am not disappointed, I understand my last educational course was back in time. Just perspiring that I have a stack of coursework instead to cover for more SH. I have to choose what sucks least even if I have to cover more credits (BALIBST v/s BSBA Gen Mgmt). 

What do you all think after looking at the evaluation? I have to write back to TESU upon deciding which course I wish to pursue so that they could " lock" it in for me.

Alas, such things happen - at least you have your official evaluation complete.  On the plus side you did receive generous credit for the courses that did apply (5 vs the common 3 credits).  I'm going to recommend that you stick with the the BSBA-GM; you're already 10 Credits UL in the AOS and you only need 12 (you'd be starting at zero UL with the BALS, and it needs 15).

You already have the knowledge in the business subjects based on your 'outdated' credits (it's not like the foundation of accounting has revolutionized in the past decade or more - beyond the software used), so you may need a few extra credits than the BALS but really it is only 7 credits (or just over 2 courses/exams - all LL).  Everything you need is at low-cost and easy to obtain. Plus the BSBA-GM fits with your background and knowledge; plus you know that the BSBA is what you really want on your resume Smile
[quote pid='299290' dateline='1573671754']

I see they did give you that Statistics credit too - that is great so many here put off taking that one until they must.  I recommend SDC's Business 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising for your remaining UL, and it cover the A: GMS Required Group 2 (need 3 out of 4 topics - you have accounting and management, this would give you marketing).  Of course there are a few UL Finance (one and done) exams I see posted about here that would work as well - I just don't which ones they are (I'm sure others can guide you on that).

If you're close to a CLEP center I would suggest that you test out of as much as you can; between Modern States (MS), your educational background and the flashcards available through InsantCert (https://www.instantcert.com - they are the hosts of this forum, and its a cheap study tool for such a one and done exam) you could get through quite a few things quickly (and free CLEP exams through MS as a bonus).  My previous post of provider options still apply for everything you need.
[/quote]
Great information and break down. Your insight (having to complete lesser number of UL courses with BSBA mgmt) and combing through the subjects is much appreciated. I have prepared a list of the various subjects along with course codes and will try to correspond them with which providers have them listed. Will check the resources you provided in your previous post. 

If anybody else has any other tips, please do advice.

Have a great day. 

PS. I chuckled reading your line "t's not like the foundation of accounting has revolutionized in the past decade or more - beyond the software used" that seemed funny given the context of my situation
[-] The following 1 user Likes pgsatx's post:
  • allvia
Hi everybody,

I need a little clarity on the below:

I submitted an application in 2018 and was admitted to TESU. Finally I made a decision to move with  
Program:BSBA in General Management (BSBA.GENMG1) Catalog Year:2020

1.How does the admission process work?
-Do I register for the program upfront. Then start picking up courses to test?
-When does on enrollee status lapse, what to bear in mind to remain eligible as a student?
-Do I proceed with external sites viz. saylor etc. for some of the more common exams (-General Education) now?
-Work with an advisor at TESU first, create a course plan and then start testing via other sites?

2. I am creating a course plan for my program from information provided here https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/general-management 
   and sorting what I want to pick, from here for 
   General Education https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2019-and-after and here https://www2.tesu.edu/listall.php
 Attached is a draft plan. If anybody could please check and advise on the courses listed, please

-Rows highlighted in amber is listed with courses I picked from TESU (are there courses that can be taken elsewhere and TESU will accept credit)

-My goal is to create a snapshot of courses listed as complete
-Identify courses that are listed by TESU

Thanks in advance

Attached Files
.xlsx   Courses_BSBA_GEN_MGMT.xlsx (Size: 26.3 KB / Downloads: 5)
(11-13-2019, 05:07 PM)pgsatx Wrote: Hi everybody,

I submitted an application in 2018 and was admitted to TESU. Finally I made a decision to move with  

-When does on enrollee status lapse, what to bear in mind to remain eligible as a student?
-Do I proceed with external sites viz. saylor etc. for some of the more common exams (-General Education) now?
-Work with an advisor at TESU first, create a course plan and then start testing via other sites?

When your application is accepted, you have an accepted status that locks in your catalog, gets you access to advising, and up to two evaluations of transferred credits. You would normally pick your program at this point, otherwise evals and advising isn't very useful. If you don't enroll within a year, then you lose your catalog, and have to start over.

You become enrolled by registering for a course, any course. I would recommend it be either the cornerstone, because you have to take it anyway, or a TECEP because they are cheap. Enrolled status locks in the catalog, gets you unlimited evals of transfer credit, and advising. Once again, your degree program should be chosen so that the evals are specific to your program. The enrolled status lasts for a year, by which time you either need to graduate, or register for another course to extend your enrollment.

If you just can't decide between two programs, you can have advising put two different programs on your account. This doesn't obligate you to work on both of them, but will let you have two separate academic evaluations to compare.

Normally, we don't worry too much about "working with advising" as they will not help you find and plan external sources of credit. People basically ask around here for help, and only deal with advising for things that only TESU can do or answer. So, you would just go ahead and start earning the credits you need from whatever sources you want.

Because TESU does not charge extra fees for remaining enrolled, we usually recommend applying and enrolling as soon as you are ready to start the process of earning your degree. Other schools are different.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(11-13-2019, 07:12 PM)davewill Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 05:07 PM)pgsatx Wrote: Hi everybody,

When your application is accepted, you have an accepted status that locks in your catalog, gets you access to advising, and up to two evaluations of transferred credits. You would normally pick your program at this point, otherwise evals and advising isn't very useful. If you don't enroll within a year, then you lose your catalog, and have to start over.

You become enrolled by registering for a course, any course. I would recommend it be either the cornerstone, because you have to take it anyway, or a TECEP because they are cheap. Enrolled status locks in the catalog, gets you unlimited evals of transfer credit, and advising. Once again, your degree program should be chosen so that the evals are specific to your program. The enrolled status lasts for a year, by which time you either need to graduate, or register for another course to extend your enrollment.

If you just can't decide between two programs, you can have advising put two different programs on your account. This doesn't obligate you to work on both of them, but will let you have two separate academic evaluations to compare.

Normally, we don't worry too much about "working with advising" as they will not help you find and plan external sources of credit. People basically ask around here for help, and only deal with advising for things that only TESU can do or answer. So, you would just go ahead and start earning the credits you need from whatever sources you want.

Because TESU does not charge extra fees for remaining enrolled, we usually recommend applying and enrolling as soon as you are ready to start the process of earning your degree. Other schools are different.

Hi, I tried looking up some previous posts to gather related courses on saylor, study.com. Could someone check to see if they are up to date or if new resources are now available to complete some of the courses. I was not able to search for some subjects by searching the course name as listed under TESU. How do I determine which subject will work for TESU for the BSBA Gen Mgmt. 

Attaching an updated excel sheet with column J "courses available on"

Thanks again for all your help.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Courses_BSBA_GEN_MGMT.xlsx (Size: 27.17 KB / Downloads: 5)
Since you're looking at fast/easy/cheap and in that order, I would do the bulk of the LL with StraighterLine and the UL with Study.com, I wouldn't take any Saylor courses unless you're very good with exam taking - their courses are poorly made and a headache just to save some cash.

Just for the heck of it, you should actually do the "What if" option and select the BSBA Accounting and see where you stand. I think you'll be closer to a BSBA Accounting than the General Management, if you need to add or change it to the CIS since you're in IT, you can add that later.

Upon closer look, you're just missing the General Education and Professional Business requirements, they are the easiest to do with StraighterLine as most of the finals are open book exams! You can just go at the fastest pace with SL's courses, Study.com's are pretty straightforward as well, it's just the assignments may take a little time to complete.

Note: I still highly recommend you going full blast with the courses within the Beginners Guide Post #28/#31, all the courses are listed there as they are the easiest/fastest, and very affordable (not cheapest, saylor and onlinedegree.com will be cheaper - I suggest onlinedegree.com over Saylor courses if cost is an issue). There are only 2 changes to the template, the Cornerstone is required at TESU, the other Math course you need can be done by CSMLearn at $39.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
@pgsatx    The only two courses you are required to take with TESU are;

Information Literacy (INSTITUTIONAL REQUIREMENT) 3SH = SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy
Capstone 3 SH =  BUS-421 Business Administration

Everything else you can earn the credits through the sources I listed in my previous post(s).

(11-13-2019, 09:22 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Just for the heck of it, you should actually do the "What if" option and select the BSBA Accounting and see where you stand.  I think you'll be closer to a BSBA Accounting than the General Management, if you need to add or change it to the CIS since you're in IT, you can add that later.

@bjcheung77 They did not allow the OP  to use many of his foreign accounting credits due to there age (this must be a new things too with TESU; at least with foreign credits. I only knew of them ageing out computer/technology credits). If switched to CIS AOS then all the current UL credits are lost, plus even more credits would be needed.  OP already has 10 of the needed 12 UL AOS credits for GM.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Great! I Will check out study.com, straighterline and check out the courses.

Thanks again
pgsatx, it doesn't take more than a few minutes to just copy/paste your "What if for BSBA Accounting AOS". CIS courses are timed, at 7-10 years, vs accounting and other business courses shouldn't actually matter. Post it to be sure and we can see what can be done. You don't need to send a screenshot, a copy/paste by highlighting the AOS area of the What If should do.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 697 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 163 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 238 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP