Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU - Best Academic Advisor?
Hi all, who has worked with a GREAT Academic Advisor? I need help on an issue, and really don't want to waste time on a dufus. Sorry to put it bluntly, but after working with TESU's financial aid department, my view of the school has dropped considerably (never had to work with anyone before...thanks to this forum)

If you had a great Advisor, please let me know who? Thank you!
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
Sorry, I can't say that anyone I worked with was really good. The best advice is to keep your interactions limited to a single question. Any time I tried to ask a multipart question, they answered the easiest part (sometimes misconstruing my question to make it easy), then closed the ticket. In fact, you can count on them closing the ticket every single time they respond to you, whether they give you a meaningful answer or not. That said, not every interaction was horrid, many advisers gave me correct information both in emails and on the phone. But you should already more or less know what the right answer, (or at least what it is you really need to ask) from coming here.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • cookderosa, Toastmaster
The best question I can ask before answering: what do you need an Academic Advisor for?

I'm not sure if you're surprised by the "customer service" you received, since it's been said on here MANY times? But it might be better to come here, ask your question, and see what we say before you deal with someone at TESU. I will admit that sometimes we can't help, but the majority of times we can.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa, Johmford
The best academic advisors are the people on this forum.

If you put your questions out here more than likely you will get some quality answers, though there will be things you will want to call them and ask that we simply cannot help with here.
[-] The following 2 users Like Johmford's post:
  • cookderosa, jsd
I've been here for a few years (as you can see) and I agree that the best help for *most* issues is here, but I don't believe that you all can help with this one, or I would have asked. (As you can see by my post history).

But, in the spirit of Mental Health Week next week, I'll clue you in. I have diagnosed Depression, Anxiety, and PTSD (Typically, well controlled nowadays). It is amazing and a miracle in some ways that I have been able to progress through my degree the way that I have. A large part of my success is the ability to more or less go at my own pace with the different course providers out there.

However, now, I am going for an undergraduate cert in organizational leadership that has a couple of classes that I can't get elsewhere, so I've taken them through TESU (October Term) via financial aid.

Well, a couple of weeks in, and I am overwhelmed by deadlines that I can't commit too because of other commitments, but, really, when I do have the time, my illnesses come into play.

So, basically I'm trying to find out how to take medical leave without it affecting my future financial aid, or, modify the courses to my needs by making the deadlines more flexible.

For info on Mental Health Accommodations, see the following link. Thanks.

http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/takin...-need-know

And please celebrate Mental Health Week for all of your affected loved ones. Smile
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

You're looking for course extensions!

https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/course-extension

I had a new job and a large amount of travel when I took my Capstone. During the course, simply emailing the mentor (before I was late) was sufficient to get more time to turn in assignments, but I kept falling further behind. At the end, I had to request and pay for a course extension to get more time to turn in the final paper. You have to finish at least half of the course material to qualify.
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Toastmaster
Sir, I think this is it! This might work! This might work!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I had saw this link earlier when searching for "medical leave tesu", but I didn't delve into it because the title *sounded* like something else. But yes, after reading the description, this sounds almost exactly what I am looking for. THANK YOU Davewill!!!! Omg, THANK YOU!!!

I just have to reach out to the Mentors to see how the discussion form pieces will work...but this is doable! THANK YOU!!!!!!

(10-09-2018, 02:46 PM)davewill Wrote: You're looking for course extensions!

https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/course-extension

I had a new job and a large amount of travel when I took my Capstone. During the course, simply emailing the mentor (before I was late) was sufficient to get more time to turn in assignments, but I kept falling further behind. At the end, I had to request and pay for a course extension to get more time to turn in the final paper. You have to finish at least half of the course material to qualify.

I too had to get an extension for the Capstone, due to a family emergency. I told the mentor I was going to request it (I think he had to sign off saying that I was at least 50% done with the course) and then I had 2+ months to complete it. I think Dec 15th-ish was the end of the capstone, and I got until Feb 28 to complete it (I think that was the timing) so basically until the end of the month, then 2 months. It was very helpful.

BTW - you can't get another extension.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-09-2018, 11:48 PM)dfrecore Wrote: ...
BTW - you can't get another extension.

You can for a medical problem.

[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Toastmaster
In addition to what everyone else said and what I sent you in a PM, consider looking into this: https://www.tesu.edu/about/ada/
It can't apply to your current semester, but if you sign up for it before your future classes, they will be federally required to make reasonable accommodations for you.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • Toastmaster

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 589 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 428 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  TESU---AA ??? midnite123 15 1,097 11-16-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia.org and TESU midnite123 5 1,096 02-20-2023, 04:52 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Completed BA at TESU, any free ways to earn another degree? Lightorb333 13 1,977 12-30-2022, 05:24 AM
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,312 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Financial aid for ACE credits ---> TESU? CourtneyBrooke 11 1,386 01-31-2022, 04:36 PM
  "My Valuable, Cheap College Degree" from Athur Brooks, TESU grad now Harvard Prof mahaganapati 10 2,797 12-24-2021, 08:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  English degrees besides TESU, UMPI? Ideas 1 876 12-13-2021, 10:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Modern States: Mention of TESU+WGU (DF member?) bjcheung77 2 955 10-28-2021, 05:28 PM
Last Post: GizmoJack