Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Business Core - UL?
For the "II. Professional Business Requirements" section of the TESU BSBA plan, could some of the requirements be met with upper level SDC courses or MUST these be filled by lower level courses?

Specifically, I have questions on these:

1. Managerial Accounting - SDC Accounting 101: Intro to Managerial Accounting or Accounting 301: Applied Managerial Accounting?
  2. Business Law - SDC Business 103: Introductory Business Law or Business 314: Employment Law?
  3. Computer Concepts & Apps - SDC Computer Science 103: Computer Concepts & Applications or Davar CIS 315 Management Information Systems?
  4. Intro to Marketing: SDC Business 102: Principles of Marketing or Marketing 308: Applied Marketing? 
  5. Principles of Finance - SDC Finance 101: Principles of Finance or Business 301: Corporate Finance?
  6. Business/Managerial Communication - SDC Business 113: Business Communication or Business 324: Managerial Communication?
I know some of these would fit within the AOS and/or the "IV. Electives" sections; however, I already have those filled with other courses specific to the AOS - in this specific case, that would be Operations Management. As tricky as this particular AOS is fill, I'm not willing to bump any course from either of those sections.

The problem I'm having is that if I fill the Business Core with the lower level versions, then I end up clogging up the Gen Eds Elective section with upper level versions of the same courses - effectively blocking me from transferring in most of my math, science, and programming credits. 

Any advice from the resident TESU experts would be appreciated.
Congrats on getting the AOS down with some other UL courses from Study.com or another provider. Congrats as well, as you're probably the only person I have seen on this board ask for costlier, lengthier and more writing intensive courses! If you didn't know already, the UL courses at Study.com has extra assignments and thus taking longer to complete, in turn may bring you over to another month of subscription at Study.com

Anyways, to answer your question - in short, at best a maybe for some. Some of the courses shouldn't be transferred into the course as the subject matter isn't as similar as the LL requirements, it's transferring over as a different equivalency. However, after that being said, you can always email TESU advising and ask to substitute these courses in. The subject content should be the same, but the equivalency it comes in may be different.

TLDR: Email academic advising at TESU and see if you can get these pre-approved as some of the courses should work, it doesn't matter if the course is LL or UL, the subject matter taught should be similar to the course required.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(02-08-2020, 04:09 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Congrats on getting the AOS down with some other UL courses from Study.com or another provider.  Congrats as well, as you're probably the only person I have seen on this board ask for costlier, lengthier and more writing intensive courses!  If you didn't know already, the UL courses at Study.com has extra assignments and thus taking longer to complete, in turn may bring you over to another month of subscription at Study.com

Anyways, to answer your question - in short, at best a maybe for some.  Some of the courses shouldn't be transferred into the course as the subject matter isn't as similar as the LL requirements, it's transferring over as a different equivalency.  However, after that being said, you can always email TESU advising and ask to substitute these courses in.  The subject content should be the same, but the equivalency it comes in may be different.

TLDR: Email academic advising at TESU and see if you can get these pre-approved as some of the courses should work, it doesn't matter if the course is LL or UL, the subject matter taught should be similar to the course required.

I appreciate the kind words, bj.

I'm hoping to avoid the credit banking fee.

Currently, I'm trying to spread some credits out over an ASNSM in Math and one in Computer Science; however, I'm still coming up a little short. 

Replacing the LL Business Core courses with UL would completely solve the problem, though.

Seems like it might be possible, as the International Management requirement in the Business Core is typically filled by SDC's UL Business 308: Globalization & International Management.

Additionally, it looks like many of Davar's "intro-labeled" courses transfer into TESU as UL equivalences the with exact course titles: I.E. Intro to Marketing and Principles of Finance, etc.
(02-08-2020, 05:15 PM)terryd5150 Wrote: Replacing the LL Business Core courses with UL would completely solve the problem, though.

No, you can't do that.

No course in professional business requirements counts as UL towards your 12 UL requirement regardless of what course you take.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(02-08-2020, 05:54 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(02-08-2020, 05:15 PM)terryd5150 Wrote: Replacing the LL Business Core courses with UL would completely solve the problem, though.

No, you can't do that.

No course in professional business requirements counts as UL towards your 12 UL requirement regardless of what course you take.

As clarification, I'm not trying to meet the UL requirements for the "III. AOS" section by piling up credits in other sections - I have 18 UL credits in the AOS & 6 more in the "IV. Electives" section.

I'm not trying to skirt the UL AOS requirement with my request.

I'm curious as to whether the "II. Professional Business Requirements" section can be met with UL courses, rather than having to fill them with LL courses.

What's currently happening is I'm filling them with LL courses, while their UL counterparts are taking up space in the "F. General Education Electives" section - preventing me from bringing non-business courses into that section.

Placing the UL business credits directly into the "II. Professional Business Requirements" section would allow me space to bring in higher-level math, physics, and programming courses into the "F. General Education Electives" section instead of having UL business courses there.
(02-08-2020, 06:06 PM)terryd5150 Wrote:

No, you can't do that.

As clarification, I'm not trying to meet the UL requirements for the "III. AOS" section by piling up credits in other sections - I have 18 UL credits in the AOS & 6 more in the "IV. Electives" section.

I'm curious as to whether the "II. Professional Business Requirements" section can be met with UL courses, rather than having to fill them with LL courses.

What's currently happening is I'm filling them with LL courses, while their UL counterparts are taking up space in the "F. General Education Electives" section - preventing me from bringing non-business courses into that section.

Placing the UL business credits directly into the "II. Professional Business Requirements" section would allow me space to bring in higher-level math, physics, and programming courses into the "F. General Education Electives" section instead of having UL business courses there.

Yes, you can use UL courses to fulfill the Core - and most business courses wouldn't go to the GE anyway, and the vast majority of business courses are NOT GE.  None of the core courses I know of will work in that way
Accounting I & II, Micro & Macroecon - no matter where you go, TESU won't bring these in as UL, they will count only as LL (so if they were UL at your 4yr school, TESU won't care)
Business Law, Prin of Finance, Management & Marketing, International Business - these can be UL at your 4yr school, TESU will bring them in as UL to fulfill the requirement, but if you had a LL & UL, neither would go into GE
Computer Concepts & Apps, Business Comm - if these were UL at your school, TESU would bring them in as UL, and MIGHT stick them in GE.  These are the only 2 courses which this might happen for

If you want to give the instances where this is happening, or post your eval with your personal info removed, we may be able to better help you figure it out.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-09-2020, 06:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-08-2020, 06:06 PM)terryd5150 Wrote:

No, you can't do that.

Yes, you can use UL courses to fulfill the Core - and most business courses wouldn't go to the GE anyway, and the vast majority of business courses are NOT GE.  None of the core courses I know of will work in that way
Accounting I & II, Micro & Macroecon - no matter where you go, TESU won't bring these in as UL, they will count only as LL (so if they were UL at your 4yr school, TESU won't care)
Business Law, Prin of Finance, Management & Marketing, International Business - these can be UL at your 4yr school, TESU will bring them in as UL to fulfill the requirement, but if you had a LL & UL, neither would go into GE
Computer Concepts & Apps, Business Comm - if these were UL at your school, TESU would bring them in as UL, and MIGHT stick them in GE.  These are the only 2 courses which this might happen for

If you want to give the instances where this is happening, or post your eval with your personal info removed, we may be able to better help you figure it out.
Glad you weighed in on this.

I think you're getting towards what I'm asking.

So you're saying TESU is just going to stick ANY level business courses in the Business Core (so long as the content matches the requirements), the rest will be discarded and not moved to the Gen Eds Electives section...am I interpreting that correctly?
Hmm...it seems you're still a bit confused, let me rephrase my original answers above. You need to get an evaluation from TESU to determine the outcome.

1) The courses in the Business Core are a specific set of courses, the ones you bring in must have similar content/course name, it doesn't matter if it's LL or UL. For example, they will look into their records for equivalency, if none is already there, they'll check the syllabus of the courses for similar content.

2) There are courses that are "business" in nature that WILL meet the general education requirements - example Macro/Micro, Communications, and more etc - see here, it'll be much more clear: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2019-and-after
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(02-09-2020, 08:31 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm...it seems you're still a bit confused, let me rephrase my original answers above.  You need to get an evaluation from TESU to determine the outcome.

1) The courses in the Business Core are a specific set of courses, the ones you bring in must have similar content/course name, it doesn't matter if it's LL or UL.  For example, they will look into their records for equivalency, if none is already there, they'll check the syllabus of the courses for similar content.

2) There are courses that are "business" in nature that WILL meet the general education requirements - example Macro/Micro, Communications, and more etc - see here, it'll be much more clear: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2019-and-after
Nailed it.

Problem solved.
(02-09-2020, 08:54 PM)terryd5150 Wrote:
(02-09-2020, 08:31 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm...it seems you're still a bit confused, let me rephrase my original answers above.  You need to get an evaluation from TESU to determine the outcome.

1) The courses in the Business Core are a specific set of courses, the ones you bring in must have similar content/course name, it doesn't matter if it's LL or UL.  For example, they will look into their records for equivalency, if none is already there, they'll check the syllabus of the courses for similar content.

Nailed it.

Problem solved.

So, which courses were they?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 699 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,978 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 268 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch