Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Capstone question (BSBA)
Hi all, i need some clarification and unfortunately i am not getting it from the advisor at TESU. My normal adviser is really great, but she is no longer replying to my emails, some other advisor is.

According to the TESU website (  https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseC...S-421&sem=  ) in order to take the capstone,
" It is advisable to have knowledge in a course equivalent to FIN-301 Principles of Finance, MAN-301 Principles of Management, MAR-301 Principles of Marketing, ACC-101 Principles of Financial Accounting, ACC-102 Principles of Managerial Accounting, ECO-111 Microeconomics and ECO-112 Macroeconomics with a grade of C or better to succeed in this course. "

When I spoke to the advisor by email, she told me you have to have 100 credits applied towards your degree, have finished English 1 and 2, all the Core business requirements and "most of" your area of study in order to take the capstone. I asked her to specify what she meant by 'most of'. She said I would have to be 'one or two courses away' from completing my degree in order to have the 'hold' taken off my account and be allowed to register for the capstone.

However, what she said doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The whole degree is 120 credits, and she says you need to have 100 credits applied. That leaves 20 credits, which is around 6/7 classes, give or take. Are they trying to say that basically you should start out with your hardest classes first (area of study and core business) and THEN take the capstone, and take the gen eds last? that's the only thing i can think of. I am doing the CIS concentration of the BSBA, so none of my AOS courses even relate to the capstone. It won't help me to take my computer courses and THEN take the capstone. I would actually prefer to take it while all my business courses are fresh in my mind. Not 6 months down the road. I wasn't going to do it now, i was going to do the very last course of the year in September. Now it looks like i have to wait until the March 2020 class. That puts me way behind on when i thought i could graduate.
(05-16-2019, 02:37 AM)saraholson Wrote: Hi all, i need some clarification and unfortunately i am not getting it from the advisor at TESU. My normal adviser is really great, but she is no longer replying to my emails, some other advisor is.

According to the TESU website (  https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseC...S-421&sem=  ) in order to take the capstone,
" It is advisable to have knowledge in a course equivalent to FIN-301 Principles of Finance, MAN-301 Principles of Management, MAR-301 Principles of Marketing, ACC-101 Principles of Financial Accounting, ACC-102 Principles of Managerial Accounting, ECO-111 Microeconomics and ECO-112 Macroeconomics with a grade of C or better to succeed in this course. "

When I spoke to the advisor by email, she told me you have to have 100 credits applied towards your degree, have finished English 1 and 2, all the Core business requirements and "most of" your area of study in order to take the capstone. I asked her to specify what she meant by 'most of'. She said I would have to be 'one or two courses away' from completing my degree in order to have the 'hold' taken off my account and be allowed to register for the capstone.

However, what she said doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The whole degree is 120 credits, and she says you need to have 100 credits applied. That leaves 20 credits, which is around 6/7 classes, give or take. Are they trying to say that basically you should start out with your hardest classes first (area of study and core business) and THEN take the capstone, and take the gen eds last? that's the only thing i can think of. I am doing the CIS concentration of the BSBA, so none of my AOS courses even relate to the capstone. It won't help me to take my computer courses and THEN take the capstone. I would actually prefer to take it while all my business courses are fresh in my mind. Not 6 months down the road.

The expectation is that the capstone course will be your last class at TESU. In fact, once you register for it they send you an email to remind you to apply for graduation. So, they want you to have taken all your core business classes, all your AOS courses, and most, if not all, of your GenEds before you register for and take the Capstone.

I expect that most BSBA students complete their GenEds first, then their business core, and then their area of study (or perhaps AoS first and then business core). Assuming so, they will be ready to complete the capstone by that time. In fact, that is exactly what I did. GenEds then business core, then AoS, then capstone.

I'm pretty sure that the point of the new rules is to make sure people don't sign up for the capstone and then drop out or fail it because they were not prepared. The case studies and the final project you do in the capstone will leverage your knowledge in a number of different business areas, so you really should be finished with all those before starting the capstone. While this was a recommendation previously, its a requirement now.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Yes, you should basically get your GE's done, along with your Business core, and then start on your AOS courses. You will need those core courses to do well in the capstone. Once you register for the capstone, then you can finish up your final couple of AOS courses while you're waiting for the course to start.

Honestly, I would do the capstone as my final course anyway. It's just easier that way. If I could do it over again, it's what I'd do (it was my 2nd or 3rd to last course, I think I took Stats & Microecon after I was done with it).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • saraholson
(05-16-2019, 11:28 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Yes, you should basically get your GE's done, along with your Business core, and then start on your AOS courses.  You will need those core courses to do well in the capstone.  Once you register for the capstone, then you can finish up your final couple of AOS courses while you're waiting for the course to start.

Honestly, I would do the capstone as my final course anyway.  It's just easier that way.  If I could do it over again, it's what I'd do (it was my 2nd or 3rd to last course, I think I took Stats & Microecon after I was done with it).

I just wish they had capstone courses that started in Jan or Feb. I will be done with all my AOS courses by October. Then I have to wait until March to even start the capstone. Sad
(05-16-2019, 01:26 PM)saraholson Wrote: I just wish they had capstone courses that started in Jan or Feb. I will be done with all my AOS courses by October. Then I have to wait until March to even start the capstone. Sad

Where did you hear that the capstone wasn't available in Jan or Feb? They normally have it every term.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(05-16-2019, 01:30 PM)davewill Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 01:26 PM)saraholson Wrote: I just wish they had capstone courses that started in Jan or Feb. I will be done with all my AOS courses by October. Then I have to wait until March to even start the capstone. Sad

Where did you hear that the capstone wasn't available in Jan or Feb? They normally have it every term.

This schedule for 2019 would be the same as 2020 from what i was told, so nothing thru Oct or Feb... the advisor could be wrong (it's not my usual advisor!!! ugh i want her back)
https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseC...S-421&sem=
(05-16-2019, 01:44 PM)saraholson Wrote: This schedule for 2019 would be the same as 2020 from what i was told, so nothing thru Oct or Feb... the advisor could be wrong (it's not my usual advisor!!! ugh i want her back)

That page isn't showing all of the terms available, it's showing the terms that are still running and those that they've scheduled sections for. After a bit, March 2019 will drop off and Oct 2019 will be added.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(05-16-2019, 06:19 PM)davewill Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 01:44 PM)saraholson Wrote: This schedule for 2019 would be the same as 2020 from what i was told, so nothing thru Oct or Feb... the advisor could be wrong (it's not my usual advisor!!! ugh i want her back)

That page isn't showing all of the terms available, it's showing the terms that are still running and those that they've scheduled sections for. After a bit, March 2019 will drop off and Oct 2019 will be added.

Wow, that is amazing news. thank you so much, i was thinking i had to wait 5 months between finishing class and taking the capstone. my hero, LOL!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,323 8 hours ago
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 526 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 453 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 477 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Age waiver question - 18 year old jg_nuy 27 2,227 04-03-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 258 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,228 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 233 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 9 530 03-31-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 375 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM