Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Certifcates?
I would like some information on them. If I were to be a degree seeking TESU student...

• Would I be able to test out of all the classes (in other words earn none of the credit at TESU or through TECEP)
  • Would I have to pay a waiver fee for each one in addition to the degree? 
  • Would I have to pay a separate graduation fee?
  • Any other information I should know in earning certficates?
1. Yes
2. No
3. No

The value proposition with the certificates is that students who are working towards a degree do not have to meet the 50% requirement for TESU credits.  This means that a person working on a degree can graduate with the degree and also complete as many certificates as he/she wants.  In reality, there are about six certificates that can be tested out of.  For example, I completed certificates in finance, organizational leadership, marketing and operations management when I graduated with a BSBA in CIS and accounting.  The certificates are not a good deal if they are completed independent of a degree because TESU in-house credits are expensive.
(09-15-2018, 06:25 PM)eriehiker Wrote: 1. Yes
2. No
3. No

The value proposition with the certificates is that students who are working towards a degree do not have to meet the 50% requirement for TESU credits.  This means that a person working on a degree can graduate with the degree and also complete as many certificates as he/she wants.  In reality, there are about six certificates that can be tested out of.  For example, I completed certificates in finance, organizational leadership, marketing and operations management when I graduated with a BSBA in CIS and accounting.  The certificates are not a good deal if they are completed independent of a degree because TESU in-house credits are expensive.

This is exactly what I was looking for thanks!

I have 65 credits from community college and have taken seven clep tests. I love learning and have many interests. I find business, psychology and communications interesting. I think some of my credits I already have would count towards the certificates I would like to earn.

After doing some research with the credits have and what I want. I was thinking of going for a degree in Human Resources and try to earn certificates in: Communications, Psychology, General Management, and Organizational Leadership. I was thinking about earning one in Marketing too, however I already have a marketing certificate from Community College so I doubt that would be allowed. I'm assuming all certificates must be completed before or at the same time as the degree or else the residency goes into effect. Is this correct? I'll aim for all four certificates but if only end up earning one or two its not the end of the world.

What did you do to earn the organizational leadership one? Do you have a degree plan?
Earning another marketing cert may be allowed but there probably wouldn't be much reason. Especially if you reuse most of your previous courses that went towards the other cert. Employers probably wouldn't be impressed by your 2 marketing certs if they used the same courses. But if you acquired several more classes from SDC or another source, then it would show continued study in that area which may or may not be useful In your field.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(09-15-2018, 07:16 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Earning another marketing cert may be allowed but there probably wouldn't be much reason. Especially if you reuse most of your previous courses that went towards the other cert. Employers probably wouldn't be impressed by your 2 marketing certs if they used the same courses. But if you acquired several more classes from SDC or another source, then it would show continued study in that area which may or may not be useful In your field.

well funny story about the marketing certificate. It only requires four classes and somehow I substituted one for a class the had nothing to do with marketing and tested out of the other. But employers won't know that. They will just see two marketing certificates and wonder whats up with that.

Here is what I did to get the marketing certificate:
-I took the marketing clep and barely passed it with it a 51 instead of the intro to marketing class
-Business Communications class
-Principles of Sales class
-Warehousing and Logistics class

So yes it is different then the TESU certificate, but I don't know if it would be allowed. Since TESU is non-traditional school they probably get people cheating the system all the time. From what I've read on this fourm you can't get a TESU in an area that you already have a degree in. I'm assuming the same is true for certificates too.

What is SDC?
Study.com= SDC
In that case I'd say it's worth looking into if you plan to do 1-2 degrees and maybe some certs through TESU anyway. It's a good value proposition if you only had to do 2-3 more sub $100 courses to get it. They may very well allow it. that's only if you think it would help in your specific career field.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
(09-15-2018, 07:33 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Study.com= SDC
In that case I'd say it's worth looking into if you plan to do 1-2 degrees and maybe some certs through TESU anyway. It's a good value proposition if you only had to do 2-3 more sub $100 courses to get it. They may very well allow it. that's only if you think it would help in your specific career field.

I'm not sure if it would help. 

Right. Of course I know of study.com. I used it back when it was called educationportal.com it was free and I used to study for my cleps. Good times.
(09-15-2018, 07:47 PM)natshar Wrote:
(09-15-2018, 07:33 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Study.com= SDC

I'm not sure if it would help. 

Right. Of course I know of study.com. I used it back when it was called educationportal.com it was free and I used to study for my cleps. Good times.

Lol yes I remember those times too. I had to take a long break from my degree pursuits but I'm pleased to see there are many more options now. Besides the many ace/NCCRS approved alt credit providers there are many more free clep resources as well: modern states offers video/textbook courses to study for CLEPs and free vouchers to make the CLEP free. YouTube has many channels that are good for studying for various CLEPs like crashcourse.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,923 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,020 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,580 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,282 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,364 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic