Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Computer Science - One University Course Needed
Hello all,

I finished my BSBA with the help of this community, am currently finishing up an MBA in ITM at WGU, and have decided to go back to TESU for a CS degree. My course evaluation came back with 62 credits from ACE/NCCRS, 24 from CC, and 6 from TESU. I will need to complete all of the CS coursework.

I have found a list of all the options for testing out of the required courses, but with the new 90Cr limit on alternative credit I will need one additional CC or University course to meet graduation requirements. Is there a general consensus on the best courses to take from a CC or University (quickly) that will apply to this degree at TESU?

Thank you so much for your assistance towards my progress so far, and for your recommendations here!
It's 90 credits per degree, AFAIK. You have 24 from a CC + 6 from TESU = 30. That leaves you with 90 credits that can be alt credit.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
rachel83az Wrote:It's 90 credits per degree, AFAIK. You have 24 from a CC + 6 from TESU = 30. That leaves you with 90 credits that can be alt credit.

This is exactly what I was going to point out, you want to copy/paste your evaluation to show us "what's there and what's missing". Basically leave your personal details out of the "what if" academic evaluation. We can recommend you courses you need, essentially, if you have something from the MBA ITM that can be re-used, you can! So, it should be very doable - the academic evaluation also shows "other courses" as well as "notes"... it should also indicate your course residency requirements, all of this info is very helpful.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-10-2021, 10:23 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
rachel83az Wrote:It's 90 credits per degree, AFAIK. You have 24 from a CC + 6 from TESU = 30. That leaves you with 90 credits that can be alt credit.

This is exactly what I was going to point out, you want to copy/paste your evaluation to show us "what's there and what's missing".  Basically leave your personal details out of the "what if" academic evaluation.  We can recommend you courses you need, essentially, if you have something from the MBA ITM that can be re-used, you can!  So, it should be very doable - the academic evaluation also shows "other courses" as well as "notes"... it should also indicate your course residency requirements, all of this info is very helpful.

I will absolutely get this together this afternoon and reply back to this thread. Thank you so much for your help.
When you apply at TESU, you need to make it clear that this is a 2nd bachelor's degree - and I can tell that you didn't because you have exactly 39cr to complete with that degree - they give you a waiver for the GE's and Free Electives.

So, you ONLY need to post what you need for the CS major coursework - everything else is moot.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Alright, away we go. Here is what came back on my evaluation. I assume that the credit discrepancy comes from 9 hours of credit at CC coming from two science classes, but I would love to be wrong about that. Please let me know if additional clarification would be helpful.

86CR applied to the degree. 34 Remaining.
GEN ED:
English Comp 1 ACE
English Comp 2 ACE
Fundamentals of Speech COM-108 ACE
MAT 121 Col. Algebra ACE
SOS-110 (TESU)
ANT-150 Cult. Ant. ACE
PHI-180 Intro to Ethics ACE
GOVT-2305 Fed. Gov CC
ECO-111 Macro ACE
Eco-112 Micro ACE
ARTS-1301 Art Appreciation CC
PHI-101 Intro Phil ACE
BIOL-1406 Bio for Science CC (FOUR CREDIT HOURS)
HIS-101 W. Civ ACE
HIS-102 W. Civ 2 ACE
PSY-101 Intro. Psych ACE
HIS-113 His 1 ACE
HIS-114 His 2 ACE
CH110 - Chem 1 - CC (FIVE CREDIT HOURS)

CS:
NEEDED:
Intro to Programming - In progress Study.com
Data Structures
Calc 1 - Going to use straighterline (open to other options)
Discrete Math
Operating Systems
Comp Arch

Group 1:
All needed.
Group 2
CIS-107 Computer Concepts and Applications ACE (Completed during BSBA)
CYB-122 1CR ACE
CYB-121 1CR ACE
One credit needed

Capstone: NEEDED

Electives: Complete
Bus Admin Capstone (TESU)
GOVT-2306 CC
MAN-372 Int. Man ACE
MAN-432 SB Man. ACE
Mar-451 Int. Marketing ACE
COM-202 Intro Bus Com ACE
FIN-200 Prin. Fin. ACE

Other Courses:
PHI 384, CYB-125 (.5CR), CYB-126 (.5CR), CYB-127 (1CR), CYB-128 (1CR), CYB-129 (1CR), BIO-208, MAN-210, PHED-1164 (1CR @CC) LAW-201, MAN-212, ACC-101, ACC-303, ACC-102, ACC-201, REL-277, STA-201, ENS-200, MAR-201, ACC-202, COM-391, MAN-271.

Thank you all!
I see 5 CC courses for a total of 18 credits + the 2 TESU courses for 6 credits. That's 24 credits unless you missed something somewhere.

If you do need 6 RA credits, you could try out ASU's Calculus: https://ea.asu.edu/courses/brief-calculus-mat-210/ It's free to sign up initially. $25 to attempt the class for credit and then $400 if you want that credit on a transcript. A bit steep when compared to ACE sources but it's both self-paced and RA. I, personally, hate the Gradarius system that they use for Calculus but some people like it.

You could also do Discrete Math at somewhere like Oakton. https://catalog.oakton.edu/course-descri...pline/mat/ With tuition + fees & textbook, the class should cost somewhere around $500. SDC does have Discrete Math but it can be a bit difficult for some people.

The Network Technology TECEP would be one of the cheapest ways to get RA credit that counts towards the degree. But it's not an easy exam. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Technology
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(06-10-2021, 01:50 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I see 5 CC courses for a total of 18 credits + the 2 TESU courses for 6 credits. That's 24 credits unless you missed something somewhere.

If you do need 6 RA credits, you could try out ASU's Calculus: https://ea.asu.edu/courses/brief-calculus-mat-210/ It's free to sign up initially. $25 to attempt the class for credit and then $400 if you want that credit on a transcript. A bit steep when compared to ACE sources but it's both self-paced and RA. I, personally, hate the Gradarius system that they use for Calculus but some people like it.

You could also do Discrete Math at somewhere like Oakton. https://catalog.oakton.edu/course-descri...pline/mat/ With tuition + fees & textbook, the class should cost somewhere around $500. SDC does have Discrete Math but it can be a bit difficult for some people.

The Network Technology TECEP would be one of the cheapest ways to get RA credit that counts towards the degree. But it's not an easy exam. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Technology
This is extremely helpful. I did miscalculate the number of cc credits I have by accidentally combining them with the 6 from Tesu. Are there affordable options for the comp sci courses, or any that are worth competing at Tesu directly?
CSU Pueblo has 2 for a bit over $200 per credit. https://www.csupueblo.edu/extended-studi...index.html I am not sure if CIS171 Intro to Java Programming would overlap with SDC's Intro to Programming (probabaly). The CIS365 probably overlaps with SDC's Management Information Systems that is required for the degree.

College of DuPage has CIS 1600 Fundamental Principles Operating Systems which SHOULD work for that requirement but it hasn't been transferred to TESU yet to confirm. https://www.cod.edu/catalog/current/cour...index.aspx They're $138/credit + fees.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
For your first degree, did you take a course at TESU for the capstone or did you do the TECEP? Either way, are you going to be paying a waiver fee or would you rather take courses to get both RA credit and residency credit? My suggestion is to keep everything with Study.com and skip any other provider such as StraighterLine.

Essentially, all the courses you need for Lower Level and Upper Level are available through Study.com, with the exception of the Network TECEP. Take the TECEP and use the Saylor CS402: Computer Communications and Networks as a practice test for it, also pay the $25 just to take the exam for credit. Saylor.org Link: https://www.saylor.org/credit and TECEP Link: https://www2.tesu.edu/tecep.php?CourseCode=CMP-354

You just need to take another one or two Study.com Comp Sci course, for lower level credit that is not showing in the list below. BUS-104 and BUS-109 will do, they transfer into TESU as CIS-103 and COS-101 as per the transfer guide. For review, you want to see this thread for all the required courses and options for them, especially post #10: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-BA-CS-BSBA-CIS

BA Comp Science LL & UL
Introduction to Programming
Data Structures
Calculus I
Discrete Math
Operating Systems
Computer Architecture UL

BA Comp Science UL:
Systems Analysis & Design (SDC)
Database Management (SDC)
Management Information Systems (SDC)
Network Technology (TECEP)
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 372 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 854 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre
  LU to TESU or UMPI - please help! CharisandJon 17 629 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BA in Communications at TESU Deetzin 2 169 03-12-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Computer Science Degree Needed lifted567 30 2,331 03-05-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMBI Political Science Advice XNutty98 2 191 03-03-2024, 02:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Computer science for international student in 2024 Passa 6 358 02-27-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Passa
  AA degree to BS Psychology - advice needed StJackson 7 284 02-26-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Advice Needed - Degree Planning - Help Please Caecal07 5 354 02-23-2024, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Caecal07
  Seeking Advice on Degree Plans: BS Computer Science, BS Cyber Security, and BA Human rutpun15 3 391 02-21-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77