Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Cornerstone Deadline
(10-04-2018, 06:43 AM)vetvso Wrote: My class was waved, and I should be finished by June but waiting on the degree. I wonder if this will impact some of us? I'm going to ask about this during my next appt with TESU.

If you're TESU evaluation shows that the Cornerstone is waived, then it is waived.  And this change will not impact you.

(10-04-2018, 08:01 AM)vetvso Wrote: Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to start my cornerstone ASAP then. But I do need to find 2 UL classes to test out of for BA in social science.

Again, if you're one of us who had the Cornerstone waived when that was still an option and TESU is showing that in your enrolled evaluation, then you will not be required to complete it.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • mysonx3
(10-04-2018, 09:06 AM)allvia Wrote: then you will not be required to complete it.

allvia is correct with one caveat: if you let your enrollment lapse then you are not locked in to your current catalog and all bets are off at that point.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Can you help me understand what are the grounds on which they choose to waive the cornerstone? I would be happy if it is waived for me as well.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(10-27-2018, 07:19 PM)Supermind Wrote: Can you help me understand what are the grounds on which they choose to waive the cornerstone? I would be happy if it is waived for me as well.

As far as I know, they will no longer waive the cornerstone for anyone unless they got in on the SDC affiliation and had it applied by July 31st(I think that was the date).
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(10-27-2018, 07:29 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(10-27-2018, 07:19 PM)Supermind Wrote: Can you help me understand what are the grounds on which they choose to waive the cornerstone? I would be happy if it is waived for me as well.

As far as I know, they will no longer waive the cornerstone for anyone unless they got in on the SDC affiliation and had it applied by July 31st(I think that was the date).

Yep, there are no more waivers. Taking the cornerstone takes an hour and is a good way to gain enrolled status. Worst case you can wait to do it until you're ready to take the capstone as well. Assuming you do so before July 1st.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Want to make sure I understand this.

Example: Student has completed 45 hours towards degree. (Still hasn't decided on BALS or BSBA GM; leaning towards BALS)

Does the student have to complete all 117 hours before enrolling at TESU and being able to take the cornerstone?

Or can the student, for example, have completed 72 hours and then apply to TESU in May 2019. Take the cornerstone in June 2019. Then spend the next 6 to 9 months finishing up the remaining 45 credits. Register to take the capstone in Jan 2020.

Does that sound correct?

Do I understand correctly that the capstone is a semester long course?
(10-28-2018, 09:02 PM)VanillaBean Wrote: Want to make sure I understand this.

Example:  Student has completed 45 hours towards degree.  (Still hasn't decided on BALS or BSBA GM; leaning towards BALS)

Does the student have to complete all 117 hours before enrolling at TESU and being able to take the cornerstone?

Or can the student, for example, have completed 72 hours and then apply to TESU in May 2019.  Take the cornerstone in June 2019.  Then spend the next 6 to 9 months finishing up the remaining 45 credits.  Register to take the capstone in Jan 2020.

Does that sound correct?

You can take the cornerstone and capstone at any time you feel ready to do so. Many people take the capstone before they get to 117 credits. However, it is often good to wait until you've completed the prerequisite courses that your capstone expects. This helps to ensure you're prepared for the course, but it is up to you.

So yes you could apply at 72 credits, take the cornerstone, and then take the rest of the credits you need before coming back to TESU to take the capstone.

Or you could take both the cornerstone and capstone at 72 credits and then complete all the other courses you want. You'd then apply for graduation with TESU once you hit 120 credits and/or met the degree requirements.

The cornerstone is a quick 1-2 hour course which can be taken at any time once registered. It can also be used to officially enroll you in the school.

Yes, the capstone is a full 12-week (semester-long) course.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(10-28-2018, 09:02 PM)VanillaBean Wrote: Want to make sure I understand this.

Example:  Student has completed 45 hours towards degree.  (Still hasn't decided on BALS or BSBA GM; leaning towards BALS)

Or can the student, for example, have completed 72 hours and then apply to TESU in May 2019.  Take the cornerstone in June 2019.  Then spend the next 6 to 9 months finishing up the remaining 45 credits.  Register to take the capstone in Jan 2020.

Does that sound correct?

That scenario would work fine. One could also apply and take the cornerstone without having a single credit, then start collecting other credits. The main reason for taking the cornerstone would be to become "enrolled".  Here's the low-down on enrollment status:
  • Admitted: You become "admitted" by filling out the application, paying the fee, and being accepted. This gives you an student account at TESU. You get limited access to advising and two "evaluations." An evaluation consists of a "batch" of transcripts they process into your academic evaluation. It also locks in the catalog for a year so that degree requirements can't change on you. If you don't become enrolled before the year is up, the status lapses, and you have to reapply and move to the latest catalog.
  • Enrolled: You become enrolled by registering for and starting a course (GS, ePack, Online, or TECEP). Now that the cornerstone is required for all students, that will likely be the first course. You get full access to advising and can send in as many transcripts as you like. You are now a student and get other perks like membership at the NJ State Library. Your enrollment is good for a year, by which time you either need to graduate, do another course or TECEP to extend your enrollment another year, or request a catalog extension. If you don't, then your enrollment lapses and you have to reapply and move to the latest catalog.

I usually recommend that folks apply as soon as they are ready to commit to the process, and maintain enrollment until they graduate. There are plenty of cheap TECEPs that will fit into any degree plan, so there's no reason not to. Sooner or later we all have a question to ask advising, and it's a big help to be able to send in transcripts whenever you feel the need to see that they have actually transferred into your degree plan successfully. Also, it's a bit of a lift to have a student ID in your pocket and know the process is a little more real.

It's also important to know that although the university recommends you take the capstone last, it's not any sort of actual requirement. If it suits your schedule to take it earlier (vacation, summer break, avoiding busy time at work) by all means do so. You should definitely have your writing courses under your belt, and it wouldn't hurt to have most of your AOS completed, but you can take it any time you feel ready to tackle it.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Shoot, I missed the news about the Study.com waiver ending for the cornerstone.

Thanks for the warning about the change coming next year.
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,156 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch