Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Criminal Justice Advice
(11-15-2018, 04:25 PM)sanantone Wrote: What is this "specific branch" of law enforcement?

US Marshals
(11-15-2018, 04:34 PM)kmj Wrote:
(11-15-2018, 04:25 PM)sanantone Wrote: What is this "specific branch" of law enforcement?

US Marshals

Then, you have more options than just criminal justice unless you really want a criminal justice degree. Also, there are multiple ways to qualify for GL-07; superior academic achievement is just one of them. I'm sure you saw the qualifications page. In addition to superior academic achievement, you can get a local job in law enforcement and stay there for a year, or you can complete a year of graduate school in a major related to law enforcement. Considering that they mention sociology, this could be quite flexible.

They don't make it clear whether a specific kind of major is required at the undergraduate level, so you might want to ask about that.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(11-15-2018, 04:48 PM)sanantone Wrote:

US Marshals

Then, you have more options than just criminal justice unless you really want a criminal justice degree. Also, there are multiple ways to qualify for GL-07; superior academic achievement is just one of them. I'm sure you saw the qualifications page. In addition to superior academic achievement, you can get a local job in law enforcement and stay there for a year, or you can complete a year of graduate school in a major related to law enforcement. Considering that they mention sociology, this could be quite flexible.
I am actively looking for jobs right now that will help me qualify for the GL-07. I am considering my options, the one year of graduate study in a field such as sociology seems kind of daunting, as its something I have no experience in, my previous schooling was all in business.
(11-15-2018, 04:52 PM)kmj Wrote:

US Marshals

I am actively looking for jobs right now that will help me qualify for the GL-07. I am considering my options, the one year of graduate study in a field such as sociology seems kind of daunting, as its something I have no experience in, my previous schooling was all in business.

You may not have to be a police officer. The description of work experience they're looking for sounds a lot like my parole officer job. In my state, parole officers can serve subpoenas, request warrants, and carry firearms. They are also responsible for searching for absconders and investigating alleged parole violations. In many other states, parole officers are allowed to make arrests.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(11-15-2018, 04:59 PM)sanantone Wrote:

US Marshals

You may not have to be a police officer. The description of work experience they're looking for sounds a lot like my parole officer job. In my state, parole officers can serve subpoenas, request warrants, and carry firearms. They are also responsible for searching for absconders and investigating alleged parole violations. In many other states, parole officers are allowed to make arrests.
Yeah there are a lot of ways to qualify for the GL-07, I just figured having a relevant degree would also help my chances, and I am trying to find the best route to that.
(11-15-2018, 05:02 PM)kmj Wrote:
(11-15-2018, 04:59 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(11-15-2018, 04:34 PM)kmj Wrote: US Marshals

Yeah there are a lot of ways to qualify for the GL-07, I just figured having a relevant degree would also help my chances, and I am trying to find the best route to that.

I think sometimes having a degree outside of the "norm" actually help your chances, not hurt them.  Many times, if you're competing against a bunch of people who all have the same degree, having something different can make you stand out.  I would find out.  If you can get a BALS with a SocSci concentration, for instance, that may be just as good (and cheaper than the CJ degree).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Since they aren't listing any majors at the undergraduate level, you should contact them to see what they require or prefer. I graduated from TESU when they still had the major in social science, and it's usually been good enough for me to qualify for jobs that ask for a sociology, psychology, or CJ degree.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Than you for the advice! On the GOV careers website sociology and psych are listed as acceptable degrees for graduate study, maybe they would be happy with a bachelors in one of those as well. I am guessing TESU or Charter Oak will not let you dual major, correct?

I am still looking at getting at least some graded credits at least in the area of study, so now I guess I have to see what the cheapest route to that would be. Any advice?
TESU will let you do a dual Area of Study so long as there is no more than nine overlap credits.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
If you do decide to earn a graduate degree, New Charter University offers a cheap, self-paced master's in CJ. They don't participate in financial aid (have to pay out of pocket), and they are nationally accredited. National accreditation won't pose a problem with the federal government, but it may not be recognized by state and local governments for education incentive pay or as credit for higher levels of certification.

Capella offers self-paced masters degrees in psychology. They're regionally accredited and participate in federal financial aid programs. 

I haven't really looked at COSC's CJ program lately. TESU's is doable; there are just one or two requirements, other than the capstone, that you'll have to take as regular college courses. Since you want graded credits anyway, that shouldn't be a problem.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,552 Yesterday, 02:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 607 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 503 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 525 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 273 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,324 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 249 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  Need some advice tpell1219 17 824 03-31-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 400 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 380 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill