Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Plan Help - TESU BSBA - Accounting
Hi All,

I'm starting the process to complete my bachelor's and am so overwhelmed trying to figure out which school BSBA Accounting program will allow me to complete it the fastest through credit exams.  I've worked in the accounting/tax world for over 15 years and have managed to have a decent career.  The only thing holding me back is not finishing my degree.  I'm currently enrolled at a community college and have a pocketful of credits that will hopefully transfer.  I'm about to start a class in the fall and wondering if it's even worth my time if I can go the CLEP/TECEP/DSST, etc. route.  I can't find any degree plans posted for the BSBA Accounting degree.  Does anyone have any experience or advice on which school/credit exams will help get me started?  

Here are the credits I have so far:

Johnson County Community College
ACCT 121  Accounting I  3cr
ACCT 131  Federal Income Taxes I  3cr
BUS 121    Introduction to Business  3cr
BOT 101    Computerized Keyboarding  1cr
BOT 115    Electronic Calculators  1cr
FL  160      Elementary Italian I  5cr

Oakton Community College:
ACC 255    Careers in Accounting 2cr

Thanks!! Diana
Charter Oak does not have a BSBA in accounting. The closest you could come would be general or organizational management.

Excelsior does have a concentration in General Accounting under their business degree. I don't know how much of it you can test out of: https://www.excelsior.edu/program/bachel...-business/

TESU also has a BSBA in accounting. https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/accounting Section I can be completed easily enough with alternate credits. Same with the 6 electives. Most/all of section II can be completed at Davar and/or Saylor. Section III, I think you'd have to take both intermediate accounting courses from TESU (unless someone knows where you can get them for less or your accounting class counts as intermediate). You already have Federal Income Taxes, so that helps. The rest have to be taken at TESU or transferred in.

Credits that'd need to be taken at TESU would be, I think:
Cornerstone - 3 credits
Capstone - 3 credits
Intermediate Accounting I - 3 credits
Intermediate Accounting II - 3 credits
9 further accounting credits
------
Total: 21.

If you take 9 credits one term and 12 credits another term, you get flat-rate pricing of a total of $9278. This does not include the application fee of $50 and the graduation fee of $300.

To help you with costs, you might want to go to Sophia.org and register immediately. You should be able to complete 1 or 2 courses before the 31st and then you can use it to take English Composition I and II, so long as you are signed up for those classes by the 31st.
(07-24-2020, 07:48 AM)Dosada Wrote: Hi All,

I'm starting the process to complete my bachelor's and am so overwhelmed trying to figure out which school BSBA Accounting program will allow me to complete it the fastest through credit exams.  I've worked in the accounting/tax world for over 15 years and have managed to have a decent career.  The only thing holding me back is not finishing my degree.  I'm currently enrolled at a community college and have a pocketful of credits that will hopefully transfer.  I'm about to start a class in the fall and wondering if it's even worth my time if I can go the CLEP/TECEP/DSST, etc. route.  I can't find any degree plans posted for the BSBA Accounting degree.  Does anyone have any experience or advice on which school/credit exams will help get me started?  

Thanks!! Diana
Welcome, Diana!

What are your ultimate ambitions for your accounting degree?  Specifically, do you think you will eventually want to become a CPA?  

If so, make sure you review the rules for the state where you would want to earn your license. My home state will not count alternative credit sources (like study.com) even if those courses are then included on a college/university transcript (like TESU or COSC) and have transfer credit attached to them. There are states (TX is one, if memory serves), where you have to do some of your coursework in an actual college classroom as opposed to online.

(07-24-2020, 08:23 AM)Hrachel83az Wrote: Section III, I think you'd have to take both intermediate accounting courses from TESU

Assuming the transfer guide on study.com’s website is accurate, TESU will accept Study.com’s Intermediate I and II as Intermediate I and II, Managerial Accounting (UL as Mangerial Accounting (UL), Cost Accounting as Cost Accounting, and Advanced Accounting as Advanced Accounting. 

https://study.com/college/school/thomas-...rsity.html
[-] The following 1 user Likes freeloader's post:
  • rachel83az
(07-24-2020, 08:59 AM)freeloader Wrote:
(07-24-2020, 08:23 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Section III, I think you'd have to take both intermediate accounting courses from TESU

Assuming the transfer guide on study.com’s website is accurate, TESU will accept Study.com’s Intermediate I and II as Intermediate I and II, Managerial Accounting (UL as Mangerial Accounting (UL), Cost Accounting as Cost Accounting, and Advanced Accounting as Advanced Accounting. 

Can't believe I forgot about SDC!
I would do TESU, even though it's more expensive in most cases. You can pivot later towards the CPA degree option if necessary.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
You can look at UMPI YourPace. They have accounting concentration and accounting major. Its 1400$ for 8 weeks term. If you are fast learner . It can be doable in 3 terms.

They also have minor in accounting

They dont have capstone or cornerstone for it. Its assignments and sometimes projects. As far as i was told
(07-24-2020, 02:12 PM)Cofffeee Wrote: You can look at UMPI YourPace.  They have accounting concentration and accounting major. Its 1400$ for 8 weeks term. If you are fast learner . It can be doable in 3 terms.

They also have minor in accounting

They dont have capstone or cornerstone for it. Its assignments and sometimes projects. As far as i was told

(Not OP)
I have never heard of UMPI YourPace, but after some quick reading it looks like an intriguing, fast, and alt-credit friendly RA program. According to their FAQ page, there is no limit to how many credit hours can be transferred. They appear to accept a wide variety of credit sources, including ACE credits/recommendations. Are there any downsides I'm missing?
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
(07-24-2020, 08:59 AM)freeloader Wrote:
(07-24-2020, 07:48 AM)Dosada Wrote: Hi All,

Thanks!! Diana
Welcome, Diana!

What are your ultimate ambitions for your accounting degree?  Specifically, do you think you will eventually want to become a CPA?  

If so, make sure you review the rules for the state where you would want to earn your license. My home state will not count alternative credit sources (like study.com) even if those courses are then included on a college/university transcript (like TESU or COSC) and have transfer credit attached to them. There are states (TX is one, if memory serves), where you have to do some of your coursework in an actual college classroom as opposed to online.

(07-24-2020, 08:23 AM)Hrachel83az Wrote: Section III, I think you'd have to take both intermediate accounting courses from TESU

For now I think just finishing my Bachelor's is my focus.  Just having a hard time figuring out where to start.  There are so many different options to get credit.........Study.com/Sophia/Saylor/TECEP........I'm not sure which classes to take from each one that will fulfill the degree requirements.
You can transfer upto 90 credits , but only 30 from SDC and other alternative providers. But TECEP ,Uexcel can be used for 60 credits from RA institution. Also they are willing to accept variety of ACE credits. They are not too strict with providers of this credits. As long as its ACE
(07-24-2020, 02:43 PM)jch Wrote: (Not OP)
I have never heard of UMPI YourPace, but after some quick reading it looks like an intriguing, fast, and alt-credit friendly RA program. According to their FAQ page, there is no limit to how many credit hours can be transferred. They appear to accept a wide variety of credit sources, including ACE credits/recommendations. Are there any downsides I'm missing?

I don't remember hearing of UMPI before either. They do have an astonishingly small number of degrees available so they're not going to be for everyone. But if you happen to want a degree that they provide, that looks like an amazing deal. They seem to imply that they'll take ANY courses that are ACE-recommended. I wonder if they still accept Shmoop courses.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 0 17 3 hours ago
Last Post: smartfion
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 586 Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,162 Yesterday, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,899 Yesterday, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 200 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 194 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,105 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 185 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 4 523 04-16-2024, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Mems88
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,292 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77