Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Degree Plan Class Requirements
Question 
I am trying to put together a degree plan for a BSBA in Finance at TESU, and found this page for the class offerings for general education (https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2...tellectual). 

My question is, do the classes I take through Sophia, SL, study.com, etc. need to match exactly one of the classes in the TESU section, or is there some leeway when it comes from transferring credits?  For example, for the Knowledge of Human Cultures section, would I need to find the exact same class on Sophia/SL/Study, or would I be able to just take any Humanities / Social Science course and assume that it would transfer? Specific example would be taking COM-299 and COM-231 on Sophia to fulfill the that section, even though those classes are not listed on TESU's site.

Additionally, does anybody know if Project Management (MAN-231) at Sophia would fulfill the Principles of Management section for my AOS?  Here are TESU's requirements for a BSBA in Finance. 

Also, I am referencing the previously transferable credits from Sophia through this cached site - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/se...ophia.org/

Additionally, for the 17-20 elective credits, can that just be any class that I am interested in?  Or would they have to correspond with the classes on TESU's website? 

Edit:  One more questions - I will be taking College Algebra in the Intellectual and Practical Skills section.  In the math section, though, would Intro to Statistics (STA-201) qualify for the three credits needed? 

Thanks so much!  This website has been a godsend, and is the only reason that I am actually going to pursue my degree finally Smile
No project management won't count for principles of management. You have to take principles of management course. There are options for this but none on sophia right now.

For the Gen ed electives as long as it has a gen ed type pre fix (math, any science, history, comm, english, psych, etc.) you should be good. This means no business classes or technical classes count for this.

For free electives (which the bsba only requires 6 credits) those can be literally anything that Tesu will accept for credit.

For TESU's BSBA you have to take both Statistics and College Algebra. To meet the stats requirement I highly recommend the CSM course to meet this requirement.
Courses do not have to match exactly, it's good to use their own course listing as a guide, using the prefix or course names. So for instance, in Diversity, they'll take World Religions, and Sophia has Intro to Religion that will work.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • alab21
(03-25-2020, 08:28 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Courses do not have to match exactly, it's good to use their own course listing as a guide, using the prefix or course names.  So for instance, in Diversity, they'll take World Religions, and Sophia has Intro to Religion that will work.

Thank you for the response.  Is there a way that I could put together a mock schedule and have TESU let me know if the classes will be accepted for credit? Also, do you know if Intro to Information Systems (CIS-110) would be acceptable for one of the Understanding the Physical and Natural World requirements?

(03-25-2020, 05:06 PM)natshar Wrote: No project management won't count for principles of management. You have to take principles of management course. There are options for this but none on sophia right now.

For the Gen ed electives as long as it has a gen ed type pre fix (math, any science, history, comm, english, psych, etc.) you should be good. This means no business classes or technical classes count for this.

For free electives (which the bsba only requires 6 credits) those can be literally anything that Tesu will accept for credit.

For TESU's BSBA you have to take both Statistics and College Algebra. To meet the stats requirement I highly recommend the CSM course to meet this requirement.

Thank you so much - this was very helpful.  So if I understood correctly, Gen Ed electives can literally be any class as long as it has to do with the main subject focus of the Gen Ed courses?  Would PHI classes work for this (Intro to Ethics, Intro to Religion, Ancient Greek Philosophers)? And then I could take business classes or whatever I want for the free electives?  Would Intro to Statistics satisfy the stat portion of the math, or does it need to be a specific stat course?  Thanks again for your help.
(03-25-2020, 03:28 PM)jacobvanhelden Wrote: I am trying to put together a degree plan for a BSBA in Finance at TESU, and found this page for the class offerings for general education (https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2...tellectual). 

My question is, do the classes I take through Sophia, SL, study.com, etc. need to match exactly one of the classes in the TESU section, or is there some leeway when it comes from transferring credits?  For example, for the Knowledge of Human Cultures section, would I need to find the exact same class on Sophia/SL/Study, or would I be able to just take any Humanities / Social Science course and assume that it would transfer? Specific example would be taking COM-299 and COM-231 on Sophia to fulfill the that section, even though those classes are not listed on TESU's site.

Additionally, does anybody know if Project Management (MAN-231) at Sophia would fulfill the Principles of Management section for my AOS?  Here are TESU's requirements for a BSBA in Finance. 

Also, I am referencing the previously transferable credits from Sophia through this cached site - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/se...ophia.org/

Additionally, for the 17-20 elective credits, can that just be any class that I am interested in?  Or would they have to correspond with the classes on TESU's website? 

Edit:  One more questions - I will be taking College Algebra in the Intellectual and Practical Skills section.  In the math section, though, would Intro to Statistics (STA-201) qualify for the three credits needed? 

Thanks so much!  This website has been a godsend, and is the only reason that I am actually going to pursue my degree finally Smile

1) The link you posted is for the 2016-2018 catalog year, you should refer to the newer one instead!  Click the 2019 and After within this page: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/g...on-courses

2) The courses doesn't have to match the course name or number entirely, the contents within the course is what truly matters, if you want an example, review my spreadsheets in my signature.  Beginners Guide Post #28/31 has examples.

3) Project Management won't count for that course as the content are different but will count for the AOS such as General Management (not in Finance), you can find some other providers such as Study.com/StraighterLine for that course instead.

4) Your general education courses need to be an Arts & Science course, so choose anything from the link I posted in #1, note: several business courses will count as it deals with mainly the Arts & Science, you will see them in the link above.

5) You need College Algebra and Statistics for the BSBA (any AOS, including Finance).  For College Algebra I usually recommend the ALEKS and for Stats the CSMLearn courses.

6) Do take the Sophia Info Sys CIS-110 course but not for the Science requirement, use it for the CIS course that is required in the professional business requirements.  Just take the two science courses on Sophia for the Natural Science - Human Biology/Environmental Science

7) If you apply to TESU, they can evaluate your courses free for the first two times, you need to enroll to get unlimited evaluations.  They do not "do mock evaluations", you can ask for pre-approval and they'll "add" it into your evaluation though.  If you want to see a "mock evaluation" to get a sense of what transfers, you can view my templates, there are a couple of changes though....
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-26-2020, 05:19 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: 4) Your general education courses need to be an Arts & Science course, so choose anything from the link I posted in #1, note: several business courses will count as it deals with mainly the Arts & Science, you will see them in the link above.

Just an FYI, your GE courses need to be Liberal Studies, Arts & Sciences is what EC calls them, TESU doesn't so it could be confusing.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you all for the responses. That was very helpful, and I think that I finally have my degree planned out. I am having a difficult time finding a sixth course for the AOS in finance, so I also went ahead and made a degree plan for a GM AOS. I will post them later today Smile
I am assuming you're doing the AOS at Study.com, so it should be every course they offer, all 6 of the required ones are found on their site. View this thread a couple of days ago: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...BA-FINANCE?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-27-2020, 11:07 AM)jacobvanhelden Wrote: Thank you all for the responses.  That was very helpful, and I think that I finally have my degree planned out.  I am having a difficult time finding a sixth course for the AOS in finance, so I also went ahead and made a degree plan for a GM AOS.  I will post them later today Smile

I think the Finance AOS is much better than the General Management (which is really a hodgepodge of courses in multiple areas).  I'd stick with Finance.
(03-27-2020, 02:16 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 11:07 AM)jacobvanhelden Wrote: Thank you all for the responses.  That was very helpful, and I think that I finally have my degree planned out.  I am having a difficult time finding a sixth course for the AOS in finance, so I also went ahead and made a degree plan for a GM AOS.  I will post them later today Smile

I think the Finance AOS is much better than the General Management (which is really a hodgepodge of courses in multiple areas).  I'd stick with Finance.

Do you just mean that in terms of getting a job with future employers?  As in the Finance AOS would look better than the General Management AOS?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which class to take? ACI 6 119 Yesterday, 03:35 PM
Last Post: AllThose299s
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 279 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 237 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 236 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat