Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU - Double Major? Second Degree?
Currently , I'm shooting for an ASNSM-Biology + BALS (no concentration) since I can fill those two degrees with all of my prerequisites for Vet Tech school (biology, chemistry, microbiology, medical terminology, etc).  When it's all said and done, I will have easily reached my 120-credit limit for the BALS.  My $1800 residency waiver will cover both degrees, assuming I finish them within a year of each other & if my calculations are correct, the whole thing should cost me less than $7,000 (start-to-finish w/ butt-in-seat courses, books, fees & everything else).  Obviously, this price tag doesn't include Vet Tech school, but I'd say $7,000 isn't too bad for a generic bachelor's degree.  

Now, what if I want a BSBA as well?  How would that work in conjunction with everything else?  Would I pay a separate residency waiver?  Does TESU offer double-majors?  

Thanks for the inside scoop!

** quick edit ** I just found this - https://blog.tesu.edu/the-secret-to-earn...ond-degree

It says you can have two areas of study within the same degree. But, I'm not sure this would work out for a BALS + BSBA - especially since one is a bachelor of arts & the other is a bachelor of science. I understand that I'll need an additional 24 credits for the BSBA, but I'd love to know if one residency waiver would cover all three degrees - ASNSM + BALS + BSBA. I suppose an email to advising won't hurt! I'll report back w/ my findings.
You can't get a double major in different "schools" within the university (the Liberal Studies school and the Business school).

You could go back and get your BSBA afterwards, but you'll have to pay a new residency waiver, as well as the capstone. I'm guessing that you can't get them all done before the June 30, 2018 deadline (where Study.com will give you the discount of $1800 for the RW and the discount off of the previous in-state tuition), so the price for the BSBA will be the cost of any courses you need to take, plus $2500 for the new RW, plus $1500ish for the capstone.

You could probably get it cheaper if you did WGU, and got most of your courses done ahead of time so you'd only be paying ~ $3000 for a single term. They will do a waiver of your gen ed's, so you don't really lose anything there.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-03-2017, 11:28 AM)dfrecore Wrote: You could go back and get your BSBA afterwards, but you'll have to pay a new residency waiver, as well as the capstone.  I'm guessing that you can't get them all done before the June 30, 2018 deadline (where Study.com will give you the discount of $1800 for the RW and the discount off of the previous in-state tuition), so the price for the BSBA will be the cost of any courses you need to take, plus $2500 for the new RW, plus $1500ish for the capstone.

So, the $1800 residency waiver goes away after next summer?  That's not good news at all.  :Sad   Is this a "for sure" thing?  I definitely won't be ready by then.  Ugh.
Yeah, it's for sure. The steepness of the Study.com discount is due to a mistake made when TESU and Study.com wrote their contract. They wrote $1800 into the contract instead of specifying a 10% discount, which is what they intended. When TESU raised their fees, they had to honor the fixed price. The contract expires next June and they certainly won't make that mistake again.

You could possibly finesse the Study.com discount by paying the new residency waiver before the deadline, then getting the BSBA done before another year is up, but I don't think there's any way to get out of paying another waiver.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(11-03-2017, 12:52 PM)davewill Wrote: You could possibly finesse the Study.com discount by paying the new residency waiver before the deadline, then getting the BSBA done before another year is up, but I don't think there's any way to get out of paying another waiver.

Huh. That's actually not a bad idea.  I'll definitely have what I need for the ASNSM by July, 2018.  So, I could pay the $1800 & make sure I finish up the BALS before July of the following year.  Good plan!  Thanks for the "heads up!"

As far as the BSBA goes, I think maybe I should slow down a little bit & take this thing one step at a time. Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,976 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,659 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,201 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,102 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,637 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,729 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,341 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,587 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,321 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,373 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic