Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU English Career Path?
Hi there, I am new to this site though I have been lurking a few days trying to figure out some things myself, but I've hit a bit of a wall. I am still considered a Freshman, I believe, in a traditional college. I want to use CLEP and DSSTs to save myself some time (I'm a returning, adult student.) and money. I have been on the TESU website trying to figure out what classes I need to take, but I'm a bit confused by it all. Someone over on reddit mentioned that there are people here that may have suggestions on what classes to take and where. Can someone point me in the right direction?
I assume from the thread title that you're interested in a BA in English. I'm sure someone will be along later to post an updated degree plan for this major at TESU, but there are plenty of CLEP and DSST exams you can take in this area:

CLEP (these are worth 6 semester hours each)

Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
English Literature
American Literature 
College Composition

DSST Technical Writing (3 cr hr)

CLEP equivalencies at TESU: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/c...am-program

DSST equivalencies at TESU: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/dsst

EDIT: Here are TESU requirements for their BA in English: https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/english
[-] The following 1 user Likes Yenisei's post:
  • renaissancewoman87
(05-22-2018, 08:09 AM)Yenisei Wrote: I assume from the thread title that you're interested in a BA in English. I'm sure someone will be along later to post an updated degree plan for this major at TESU, but there are plenty of CLEP and DSST exams you can take in this area:

CLEP (these are worth 6 semester hours each)

Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
English Literature
American Literature 
College Composition

DSST Technical Writing (3 cr hr)

CLEP equivalencies at TESU: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/c...am-program

DSST equivalencies at TESU: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/dsst

EDIT: Here are TESU requirements for their BA in English: https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/english

Thank you!
For TESU specifically, it is now going to be impossible to test out of the English degree, as TESU is not accepting Shmoop courses, and those were where the UL English courses came from.  As someone who doesn't already have some UL English courses to bring into the degree already, it will be more expensive than other degrees (like the BSBA or BALS).

Here is a degree plan from TESU, using no Shmoop courses.  There are Self-paced/Independent Study courses for the UL English requirements for now.  Study.com may upgrade the Short Stories course at some point, which would be nice.

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU 2016 BA in English.xlsx (Size: 42.28 KB / Downloads: 108)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-22-2018, 12:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: For TESU specifically, it is now going to be impossible to test out of the English degree, as TESU is not accepting Shmoop courses, and those were where the UL English courses came from.  As someone who doesn't already have some UL English courses to bring into the degree already, it will be more expensive than other degrees (like the BSBA or BALS).

Here is a degree plan from TESU, using no Shmoop courses.  There are Self-paced/Independent Study courses for the UL English requirements for now.  Study.com may upgrade the Short Stories course at some point, which would be nice.

Oh, what a bummer that they don't take shmoop anymore. I am just getting started on this journey and am still clepping the low level classes anyway. Would you suggest jumping to one of the other big three? I'm not exactly married to TESU at this point.
(05-22-2018, 12:27 PM)renaissancewoman87 Wrote: Oh, what a bummer that they don't take shmoop anymore. I am just getting started on this journey and am still clepping the low level classes anyway. Would you suggest jumping to one of the other big three? I'm not exactly married to TESU at this point.

None of the Shmoop courses are UL, so even if EC or COSC was to take them, that wouldn't help a lot in your AOS.  You still need a bunch of UL English courses.

EC doesn't seem to have a BA in English, and COSC has a BALS with a concentration in English/Lit, but you'll need the same types of courses that TESU requires.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Shmoop and TESU may work things out, so you might want to work on the other credits, and see if Shmoop is back when you're ready.

Even without Shmoop, BA-English can be done if you take the special Harvard Extension poetry courses for graduate credit for only $50/credit, and use them as UL undergrad English credit. Or you might be able to take them as undergrad courses and still get them as UL, but I'm not sure about LL versus UL in that situation. The courses are not self-paced.

There is also another UL English which is cheap through Coopersmith, which is also poetry.

Study.com has an UL advanced technical writing course that counts at TESU, just fyi

your biggest obstacle to getting an English degree will not be your UL courses, it will be finding a non-Western Lit course
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(05-22-2018, 01:23 PM)Ideas Wrote: There is also another UL English which is cheap through Coopersmith, which is also poetry.

This was on my degree plan.

(05-22-2018, 03:46 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: Study.com has an UL advanced technical writing course that counts at TESU, just fyi

your biggest obstacle to getting an English degree will not be your UL courses, it will be finding a non-Western Lit course

These were on my degree plan.
(05-22-2018, 03:46 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: Study.com has an UL advanced technical writing course that counts at TESU, just fyi

It's a bit expensive, but we know of a bunch of them, one is self-paced at BYU. It is poetry too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,923 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,020 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,578 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,280 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,318 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore