Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to choose a college for computer science
Hello,

I am looking to get a bachelor’s in computer science and I have recently learned of this method that you all use – taking courses through online sites and transferring them to a college that accepts many of those credit recommendations. So, I’m really excited to begin and I have read a number of posts here on this site to learn more. I know I need to choose a college, make a degree plan, etc.

So which colleges do you all recommend for computer science? I’ve seen a few colleges mentioned frequently here in the forum, so I am wanting to know which ones you believe are best for cs and why.

Some more information about myself in case it helps: I live in Kentucky. I have about 40 credits – mostly gen eds from community college, only 3 computer related courses so far. I’d like to get into software development or data science, and possibly pursue a master’s degree in cs some time in the future. Of course, I’d also like to get through college with no debt, and to get through it sooner than later.

Thanks for your help!
If I was going to get a computer science degree, I'd either get it through TESU or WGU.

List your prior credit by course number, complete course name & number of credits to make it easier for us to help you.

I can tell you what you have left at each school, and how easy it would be and how much it would cost to complete the degrees.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Great, thanks! What about those two colleges makes them the ones you pick?

Courses I've done.
English 101 (3 credits)
English 102 (3 credits)
Precalculus (5 credits)
Spanish 101 (4 credits)
Gen ed Biology class (3 credits)
Gen ed macroeconomics course (3 credits)
Gen ed microeconomics course (3 credits)
Gen ed music history course (3 credits)
Gen ed science course (3 credits)
Hardware/Software course from community college (4 credits)
Intro to programming course from a community college (3 credits)
Introduction to networking course from community college (4 credits)

41 total credits
WGU has the only competency-based Comp Sci degree right now. TESU is the only school at the moment that has a Comp Sci degree where you can go at your own pace but test out of most classes using Sophia, Study.com, etc. Purdue Global has a competency-based IT degree but that is NOT computer science. Other schools are going to be prohibitively expensive when it comes to Comp Sci degrees.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • jch
Rasmussen University has a competency-based BS in Computer Science, but they charge by credit hour instead of a term subscription.

https://www.rasmussen.edu/degrees/techno...bachelors/
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(09-07-2021, 03:41 PM)michaelsul Wrote: Great, thanks! What about those two colleges makes them the ones you pick?

Courses I've done.
English 101 (3 credits)
English 102 (3 credits)
Precalculus (5 credits)
Spanish 101 (4 credits)

41 total credits

Those will be your 2 cheapest/fastest options: TESU may be the best fit, since all 41cr you've taken will fit into the degree there.  WGU, you will lose some credits.

TESU - you have met the 30cr RA threshold, so no worries there; and you can do all of the remaining courses via alt-credit through Study.com, Sophia, ICC, etc.  Here's what you need:
Oral Comm
Diversity
Ethics
Civic Engagement
History

Major coursework
Data Structures
Calculus
Discrete Math
Operating Systems
Computer Architecture
MIS
Systems Analysis & Design
Database Management
1 UL course in CompSci (Network Tech TECEP will work but is hard)
2 LL courses in Science, Math or CompSci

28cr of Free Electives

You could get every single course from Study.com; or you can shoot for less expensive options for some, and just use Study.com for your major if you'd rather.

$6650 for tuiton/fees for cornerstone & capstone, add cost of alt-credit for 75cr.
$4639 for a FT/flat-rate fee if you can do 16cr in a single term; you'd want at least 1 of those courses to be an UL CompSci course to replace the TECEP, add cost of alt-credit for 75cr.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

For WGU, you'll need 29cr of GE:
Intro to Communication
Technical Communication
Ethics in Technology
American Politics & the US Constitution
Applied Probability & Statistics
Calculus I
Discrete Mathematics I
Natural Science Lab
and then 76cr of the major

So you're really only bringing in about 12-15cr, which is a bummer.

$3500 for 1 term, $7k for 2 terms - not including the courses you'll need to take via alt-credit (~105cr)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
or just do WGU and don't take any courses alt credit              

the natural science lab can be completed in less than a week              
no need to purchase a lab kit or spend $200 at study.com 

Introduction to IT can be completed in 5 days (faster if you read fast and are a decent test taker) 
Ethics in Technology -- another one that can be done in one week        

2 terms is one year = $7840          
3 is 18 months = $11760           

apply now for free, send in your transcripts for evaluation and start on November 1

the only one you might want to transfer in is Calculus from straighterline               
https://www.straighterline.com/online-co...alculus-i/

because they let you use a graphing CAS calculator on the final
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • ss20ts
Just FYI, for WGU, students must be within the US. A small handful of Canadians are allowed, but I'm not sure how they make the decision. Also, you might not like the proctoring that WGU uses. These are things you should also take into consideration.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Thanks for all the replies and information!

(09-07-2021, 05:15 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(09-07-2021, 03:41 PM)michaelsul Wrote: Great, thanks! What about those two colleges makes them the ones you pick?

Courses I've done.
English 101 (3 credits)
English 102 (3 credits)
Precalculus (5 credits)
Spanish 101 (4 credits)

41 total credits

Those will be your 2 cheapest/fastest options: TESU may be the best fit, since all 41cr you've taken will fit into the degree there.  WGU, you will lose some credits.

TESU - you have met the 30cr RA threshold, so no worries there; and you can do all of the remaining courses via alt-credit through Study.com, Sophia, ICC, etc.  Here's what you need:
Oral Comm
Diversity
Ethics
Civic Engagement
History

Major coursework
Data Structures
Calculus
Discrete Math
Operating Systems
Computer Architecture
MIS
Systems Analysis & Design
Database Management
1 UL course in CompSci (Network Tech TECEP will work but is hard)
2 LL courses in Science, Math or CompSci

28cr of Free Electives

You could get every single course from Study.com; or you can shoot for less expensive options for some, and just use Study.com for your major if you'd rather.

$6650 for tuiton/fees for cornerstone & capstone, add cost of alt-credit for 75cr.
$4639 for a FT/flat-rate fee if you can do 16cr in a single term; you'd want at least 1 of those courses to be an UL CompSci course to replace the TECEP, add cost of alt-credit for 75cr.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

For WGU, you'll need 29cr of GE:
Intro to Communication
Technical Communication
Ethics in Technology
American Politics & the US Constitution
Applied Probability & Statistics
Calculus I
Discrete Mathematics I
Natural Science Lab
and then 76cr of the major

So you're really only bringing in about 12-15cr, which is a bummer.

$3500 for 1 term, $7k for 2 terms - not including the courses you'll need to take via alt-credit (~105cr)

Ok, great! Thanks for all the information!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 946 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 370 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Computer Science Degree Needed lifted567 30 2,330 03-05-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMBI Political Science Advice XNutty98 2 191 03-03-2024, 02:07 AM
  Computer science for international student in 2024 Passa 6 358 02-27-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Passa
  Seeking Advice on Degree Plans: BS Computer Science, BS Cyber Security, and BA Human rutpun15 3 391 02-21-2024, 05:38 PM
  Going back to school at 29 for CS with only freshman year of college completed RejuvenationOclock 6 486 02-17-2024, 01:24 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
Lightbulb Which path should I choose? Lil_Boi 7 412 02-12-2024, 05:21 PM
  College choice KnowledgeQuest 9 641 01-30-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: KnowledgeQuest
  European seeking Computer Science or Math fcfcfc 11 627 01-20-2024, 04:52 PM