Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU English comp recommendations
I've seen it mentioned not to take english comp courses through Sophia. Are there any counterpoints to that or other recommendations?
Current: UMPI YourPace competency-based BABA, Management & Leadership Concentration, Project Management and Management of Information Systems Minors. Starting with 15 RA credits previously earned in community college. Took the CSM Learn course. Now going through Sophia courses.
Goal: Walden TEMPO competency-based MBA.
Timeline: Started planning mid 2021. Finish both, Jan 2023. A year and a half total, including planning. Started planning on TESU, but was advised towards UMPI to take advantage of financial aid. I'm now excited to finish completely competency-based.
Fun fact: I sometimes use TV as a productivity toolOne episode per chapter, load of dishes, or basket of laundry!
Thanks to everyone, and happy studying!  Smile
(09-08-2021, 07:43 PM)schristian10 Wrote: I've seen it mentioned not to take english comp courses through Sophia. Are there any counterpoints to that or other recommendations?

That's only for people going to UMPI - it's faster/easier to take it there than Sophia or Study.com.

If you want to test out, you can take the TECEP exams, or CLEP or CLEP/DSST combo.  Or take the course through Sophia or Study.com.  There's more options, but those are the most well-known and discussed here.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-08-2021, 07:43 PM)schristian10 Wrote: I've seen it mentioned not to take english comp courses through Sophia. Are there any counterpoints to that or other recommendations?

During the free membership offer period last year, several forum members experienced long turnaround times and exasperating feedback on the assignments. This situation may be different/better today. Additionally, there were some complaints about the amount of work/time required to complete the assignments. I opted not to finish the Sophia English Comp courses, but I didn't think that they were particularly bad. They're certainly much less intense than the ASU ULC courses.  

As dfrecore mentioned, the English courses at UMPI are known to be particularly quick. Thus, forum participants looking at UMPI are advised to just take English Comp there. People pursuing other schools should continue to consider other credit sources. 

The CLEP Composition w/essay exam takes care of both English credits at TESU and some other schools. Utilized with the free modernstates offer, it's one of the most common ways to deal with English requirements. Another option for TESU, which I went with, is taking CLEP Composition modular w/o essay and DSST Advanced English Composition. 
If you want RA Credit for an exam, TESU has TECEP offerings. If you want a graded RA course, TEL, ONU, and ASU are options. Otherwise, Sophia is still a decent approach.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 1 user Likes jch's post:
  • schristian10
There have been a handful of people who have taken or tried to take Sophia English Comp more recently and then mentioned it here. From what they have said, Sophia has the same issues with those courses as before. Pick something else, if at all possible, for English Comp.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • schristian10

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 946 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 370 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 853 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre
  LU to TESU or UMPI - please help! CharisandJon 17 628 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BA in Communications at TESU Deetzin 2 168 03-12-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UMPI BA Psych, BA English, or BLS? Minors? radicallena 10 767 02-10-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: radicallena
  BSBA CIS Area of Study @ TESU Vin 21 1,253 02-09-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Course/Degree Planning - Liberal Studies, BA - TESU drp16 4 382 01-31-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: drp16
Question My degree plan for TESU BA in CS; thoughts/recs? bruh 65 6,064 01-11-2024, 06:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU BACS planing help smtGate 8 553 01-04-2024, 10:04 AM
Last Post: rachel83az