Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You can complete CIS 101 req w/SL
I have it on my spreadsheet to complete the DSST for the CIS 101 requirement.. but check this out

Thomas Edison State University Course Equivalency Guide | StraighterLine

Quote:Computer Concepts and Applications - CIS-107 IT Fundamentals - IT 101 3

I think I'll stay home :p
For anyone planning on taking the IT Fundmentals course from StraighterLine, alzee posted a review on it here http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post207261.
Nixi Wrote:For anyone planning on taking the IT Fundmentals course from StraighterLine, alzee posted a review on it here http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post207261.

Yeah, I commented on a different section of that thread... But, essentially, the way I feel a SL course is...
it's all open book, you rarely learn anything by doing a quick search for all the answers. That's their main pro/advantage...
and yet, it's also their main con/disadvantage - if I have time, I will review and learn the materials then do the final.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
creditmonsoon Wrote:I have it on my spreadsheet to complete the DSST for the CIS 101 requirement.. but check this out

Thomas Edison State University Course Equivalency Guide | StraighterLine

I think I'll stay home :p

:p yup, and i'm taking their CS 101 as well, for programming in C+
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
bjcheung77 Wrote:Yeah, I commented on a different section of that thread... But, essentially, the way I feel a SL course is...
it's all open book, you rarely learn anything by doing a quick search for all the answers. That's their main pro/advantage...
and yet, it's also their main con/disadvantage - if I have time, I will review and learn the materials then do the final.

I think study.com has a course for this as well. It's probably more intuitive... Yeah, I'd appreciate the review. So youre saying the SL course is too easy ?
Nixi Wrote:For anyone planning on taking the IT Fundmentals course from StraighterLine, alzee posted a review on it here http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post207261.

I completely agree with that assessment, I enrolled in IT Fundamentals and actually felt Acrobatiq presentation was horribly done, they should have left it in same format as most other courses which are easy to guide thru. This was the only S/L course I enrolled in that I just flat out refused to put time in and complete. The modules were just to frustrating.

I opted to test out of CIS requirement for BSBA by taking CLEP computer concepts and applications which was fairly simple and straightforward, I passed on 3 days about 20 hours of study.
Study.com has their own. I'm a few lessons in and I find it to be one of their best! https://study.com/academy/course/intro-t...ourse.html
I just took the final for SL Intro to IT.

I was exceptionally unhappy with the course.

I am very, very computer and networking literate. I hold a few certifications. And, I test well.

Made a 65 on the final, and a 78 for the course.

The acrobatiq way of presenting the material was miserable. You never knew how many frames were left til the next exam. Many of the exams didn't really align to the course material. When you resumed course, it sent you to where it thought you left off, right or wrong. Hard to navigate compared to the moodle classes.

My ancient computer choked on the tests, too. You click 'done' or whatever, and the screen greys out. I had to get an advisor to manually bring my scores over (they acknowledge this is sort of an issue, and tell you it may take some time for scores to migrate across platforms).

Some of the terms are arbitrary (I googled on the ones I wasn't sure about). Many of the concepts aren't really fleshed out well, especially historic ones. The mini "did you get it" tests are poorly worded. Some are flat out wrong. I vaguely recalling arguing about transistors... in one context they were the correct answer (next stage after tubes), but in terms of miniaturization, nope, wrong.

One of the final exam questions was similar to "When did computer ethics begin?" You have to really accept their way of thinking about the topics if you want to do well. Had I known it would be like it was, I wouldn't have taken it. I expected it to be an easy credit - I can wire networks, build and repair pc's and servers.

Nope.

Maybe you will do better, though.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

The DSST for Intro to Computing is extremely easy. I don't see a reason to avoid it unless you either live far from a testing center or suffer from test anxiety.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:The DSST for Intro to Computing is extremely easy. I don't see a reason to avoid it unless you either live far from a testing center or suffer from test anxiety.

I agree. I took it cold and passed easily. I worked in Accounting/Finance/HR, so not a tech background at all.

I also took the TECEP and got a 75% without studying. Again, very easy, even if you don't have a tech background.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior College - B.S. in Engineering Technology Degree [Complete] Wallerstein 4 4,773 03-26-2018, 11:14 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Time Taken to Complete a Degree with the Big 3 JonW 4 1,529 11-16-2017, 11:06 AM
Last Post: davewill
  I need a recommendation to complete the WER requirement at Excelsior keynext 4 886 04-21-2017, 11:12 AM
Last Post: keynext
  Hello there! Starting at zero and looking to complete a Bachelor's! Cloake 4 1,034 04-03-2017, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Cloake
  Got time off..how fast can I complete the Thomas Edison Management degree? Lnacen 15 2,865 03-19-2017, 11:35 AM
Last Post: High_Order1
  TESU BSAST Evaluation Complete sambeaux 2 850 03-18-2017, 08:30 AM
Last Post: sambeaux
  Trying to complete at TESC, looking for a FIN 301 equivalent Tryingtofinish85 4 751 01-25-2017, 09:30 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Options to complete my degree? socsci 4 709 10-23-2016, 08:45 PM
Last Post: socsci
  AA complete (TESU), now on to BSBA sghatte 13 1,316 05-19-2016, 12:47 PM
Last Post: alzee
  [TESU] Need easy/quick course recommendations I can complete online at TESU Nixi 6 1,935 04-09-2016, 03:34 AM
Last Post: Nixi