Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Gen Ed: Oral Communication when DEAF
TESU responded today after all the paperwok etc.

Public Speaking is hereby waived and replaced with: COM-210 Public Relations Thought and Practice

They suggested I take the TECEP.
https://www2.tesu.edu/tecep.php?CourseCode=COM-210
[-] The following 2 users Like ashkir's post:
  • ROYISAGIRL, ss20ts
(11-09-2020, 12:07 PM)ashkir Wrote: TESU responded today after all the paperwok etc.

Public Speaking is hereby waived and replaced with: COM-210 Public Relations Thought and Practice

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of paperwork do they need? Two of my guys are hearing impaired and are looking to attend TESU.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(11-09-2020, 02:42 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:
(11-09-2020, 12:07 PM)ashkir Wrote: TESU responded today after all the paperwok etc.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of paperwork do they need? Two of my guys are hearing impaired and are looking to attend TESU.

I can PM you the letter from my doctor. I am hearing impaired, but my speech sucks. I was born deaf but got better as surgery/technology got better.

This is actually a terrible choice - I hated this course! The TECEP was hard - and I read the entire book and studied like crazy.  You'd have been much better off taking Study.com's Presentation Skills in the Workplace, or gotten a waiver from SDC or SL or Sophia to modify their Public Speaking courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-09-2020, 04:14 PM)ashkir Wrote:
(11-09-2020, 02:42 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:

I can PM you the letter from my doctor. I am hearing impaired, but my speech sucks. I was born deaf but got better as surgery/technology got better.
Thank you again for that. You have made this a lot easier for my friends.

In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(11-09-2020, 05:05 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

This is actually a terrible choice - I hated this course! The TECEP was hard - and I read the entire book and studied like crazy.  You'd have been much better off taking Study.com's Presentation Skills in the Workplace, or gotten a waiver from SDC or SL or Sophia to modify their Public Speaking courses.

I had no plans on taking study.com and recent posts stated the presentation skills in the workplace doesn't always transfer as the needed credit. It seemed to be up to the evaluator.

I can ask about other alternatives, they seem to be pretty flexible and only offered that class as a TECEP as it's the only one they had as a TECEP that didn't require a public speaking option.
(11-09-2020, 05:36 PM)ashkir Wrote:

I had no plans on taking study.com and recent posts stated the presentation skills in the workplace doesn't always transfer as the needed credit. It seemed to be up to the evaluator.

I can ask about other alternatives, they seem to be pretty flexible and only offered that class as a TECEP as it's the only one they had as a TECEP that didn't require a public speaking option.

Honestly I don't get how that would meet the requirement either, as I don't remember anything in there being about public speaking in any way.  I wonder if there are any other Communications courses they will take, like Visual Comm or Interpersonal Comm or something like that?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-09-2020, 05:48 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-09-2020, 05:36 PM)ashkir Wrote:

Honestly I don't get how that would meet the requirement either, as I don't remember anything in there being about public speaking in any way.  I wonder if there are any other Communications courses they will take, like Visual Comm or Interpersonal Comm or something like that?
I responded back and asked if I can do Visual Communications instead.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • ss20ts
No response back from TESU. Responses from them take a very long time. It took over 40 days to just get approved to take a terrible TECEP? lol

Davar Academy told me I don't have to take the oral part of the exam due to my medical note... So I might just do that instead.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • ss20ts
Quote:Thank you for contacting our office. The Dean and I discussed your situation.  She has approved the TECEP exam COM-210 Public Relations, Thought and Practice; COM-100 Communication Theory and COM-339 The Story of Human Language as substitutions to satisfy the oral communication requirement.  COM-100 and COM-339 are offered as online courses.  A note has been placed in your file indicating these substitutions.  Please be sure to work with an advisor in selecting courses appropriate for your degree.

So does anyone know of any alternatives to:
COM-100 Communication Theory
COM-339 The Story of Human Language

Edit:

nevermind. Both require freaken SPEAKING. How can TESU be this dense?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,351 04-18-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 531 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 456 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 480 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 261 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,236 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 233 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 377 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 301 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 280 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27