Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU - Guided Study vs. Online Class
im stuck between the two lol 11 online blog post or 6 short essays i assume 5 paragraphs?
My Plan: Earn a MSML or a MBA at WGU!
(10-05-2017, 10:23 PM)BearEDU Wrote: im stuck between the two lol 11 online blog post or 6 short essays i assume 5 paragraphs?

I just asked the instructor; I'll let you know what he says.  But in looking at the question, I'm assuming that it's a short paragraph for each question (2 of them).  There's not enough to write an entire 5-paragraph essay for sure - even a 3-paragraph essay would be stretching it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • BearEDU
(10-05-2017, 09:12 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-05-2017, 09:48 AM)jsd Wrote: The only thing the GS courses seem to do is turn the easy points from the "online discussions" (where you seem to get points just by showing up -- no matter how bad your posts are), into more formal writings prompts that are graded like a normal assignment.

As far as I can tell, that's the only difference, and I can't see there ever being a good reason to go that route.

I just really hate the writing and responding to the forum posts - so they're not really easy to me - they feel forced, and I have to come up with stuff to say, then respond, and if people don't write stuff in a timely manner, then I have to wait...  I'd rather just write a quick paragraph on the question he asks.  Easy peasy.

You write all day long on this forum! It's even easier than that. For the prompt you write a short casual version of what you would write for Guided Study, and then for the "replies," my peers seemed to be getting away with junk like "Great post I agree!". And even if you wanted to make it look a little more in depth, just say "Great post, I agree; I really liked the part where you said *copy and paste a quote!* Fantastic perspective."

Those were the easiest points for me in my TESU classes. I wouldn't want to have to do a more formalized version of it where the mentor might potentially dock points from me like a normal assignment.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Note: I hope no one here is thinking of using any of those "great replies", I just laughed when I read through that...
I didn't know it was that easy for online discussions, it's so similar to what Penn Foster has for their webinars.
Basically, there's no right or wrong answer. You just have to "participate" in the discussions and you get a pass.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-05-2017, 04:59 PM)jsd Wrote:
(10-05-2017, 04:55 PM)BearEDU Wrote: atm theres is no one taking a BSBA Online capstone so no info there on comparing the amount of work.

You can just look at the syllabus. 

http://www2.tesu.edu/syllabus/current/BU...S-421.html

Ah, you edited in the syllabus before I got my post in. Never mind me.

Why does a capstone class need a proctored midterm, but no final?
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
lol well the finals is that crazy 25-80 page essay. I rather just have a regular finals than that =). But the midterm is testing you the modules in the book 1-6 or something along with an essay
I just looked at the link for the syllabus again, there isn't a final as the "project assignment" is the last thing the student is being graded on. Actually, that's the same as the Penn Foster course if I recall correctly. Most of the students who did that PF course also had a final project assignment and we did at least 25 pages for that piece of work (required a SWOT analysis and answering a bunch of questions in APA or MLA format). I think it took me a week + weekend to finish it...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-06-2017, 01:44 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I just looked at the link for the syllabus again, there isn't a final as the "project assignment" is the last thing the student is being graded on.  Actually, that's the same as the Penn Foster course if I recall correctly.  Most of the students who did that PF course also had a final project assignment and we did at least 25 pages for that piece of work (required a SWOT analysis and answering a bunch of questions in APA or MLA format).  I think it took me a week + weekend to finish it...

u guys are all beasts lol it took me a week to write 8 pages for study.com
(10-06-2017, 08:04 AM)jsd Wrote:
(10-05-2017, 09:48 AM)jsd Wrote: The only thing the GS courses seem to do is turn the easy points from the "online discussions" (where you seem to get points just by showing up -- no matter how bad your posts are), into more formal writings prompts that are graded like a normal assignment.

As far as I can tell, that's the only difference, and I can't see there ever being a good reason to go that route.

I just really hate the writing and responding to the forum posts - so they're not really easy to me - they feel forced, and I have to come up with stuff to say, then respond, and if people don't write stuff in a timely manner, then I have to wait...  I'd rather just write a quick paragraph on the question he asks.  Easy peasy.

You write all day long on this forum! It's even easier than that. For the prompt you write a short casual version of what you would write for Guided Study, and then for the "replies," my peers seemed to be getting away with junk like "Great post I agree!". And even if you wanted to make it look a little more in depth, just say "Great post, I agree; I really liked the part where you said *copy and paste a quote!* Fantastic perspective."

Those were the easiest points for me in my TESU classes. I wouldn't want to have to do a more formalized version of it where the mentor might potentially dock points from me like a normal assignment.

I have taken a hybrid online/on-campus course before where we were required to answer people's responses.  The main problem was, most of the other people would wait until the very last minute to write theirs (I would read and write my posts by the 1st/2nd day).  So I was up at 11:30pm on a Sunday night writing responses .  No thanks.  I don't want my grade to have to rely on others, especially if they're idiots.

BTW - the instructor told me 2-3 short paragraphs is fine - so not much more than I would write for the online forum/responses.  I'll take it.

So far, grading has not been harsh, so I'm good.  I anticipate getting a good grade on the assignment, without having to deal with anyone else's BS.

(10-06-2017, 01:17 PM)Thorne Wrote:
(10-05-2017, 04:55 PM)BearEDU Wrote: atm theres is no one taking a BSBA Online capstone so no info there on comparing the amount of work.

Proctored midterm is on the book.  Final is a case study, 14+ pages.  Luckily, we are already doing case studies (the first one goes through what we learned from Ch 1-2, the 2nd one will be applying what we are learning in Ch 3, etc.).  So it won't be a stretch to just go through it again, doing everything we've already done.  It's a very step-by-step, intuitive process.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-06-2017, 07:29 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-06-2017, 08:04 AM)jsd Wrote:

I have taken a hybrid online/on-campus course before where we were required to answer people's responses.  The main problem was, most of the other people would wait until the very last minute to write theirs (I would read and write my posts by the 1st/2nd day).  So I was up at 11:30pm on a Sunday night writing responses .  No thanks.  I don't want my grade to have to rely on others, especially if they're idiots.

BTW - the instructor told me 2-3 short paragraphs is fine - so not much more than I would write for the online forum/responses.  I'll take it.

So far, grading has not been harsh, so I'm good.  I anticipate getting a good grade on the assignment, without having to deal with anyone else's BS.

(10-06-2017, 01:17 PM)Thorne Wrote:

Proctored midterm is on the book.  Final is a case study, 14+ pages.  Luckily, we are already doing case studies (the first one goes through what we learned from Ch 1-2, the 2nd one will be applying what we are learning in Ch 3, etc.).  So it won't be a stretch to just go through it again, doing everything we've already done.  It's a very step-by-step, intuitive process.

Thanks for your information and help I was curious what professor do you have atm for your class I'm wondering if its the same as Nov class

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com Employee Discount natshar 5 12,303 09-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,977 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,659 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,104 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,643 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,732 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,342 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,592 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,323 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,374 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic