Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU - Guided Study vs Online Courses
Could anyone explain what the differences are between these two types of courses? Are they roughly the same except no discussions for guided study? I'm registering on Monday for the September term, just wondering what would be the better fit.
See: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...N-Capstone
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Guided study has no discussions. They are replaced with extra writing assignments. I've done both and I prefer the online version. Others feel differently.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • suzycupcake
Thanks for the responses, guys! I went with online for most of them.
Guided study sucked, I'd do online. The extra writing wasn't worth it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • suzycupcake
I preferred Guided Study. It is mostly reading and writing (turning in writing assignments), at least for the courses I took. I really hated the OL format that TESU had at that time (not sure how it is now). If you like to write and are a decent writer, you could try GS to see if it is a good fit.
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
GS is a little more work because it turns the Online version's "Forum Discussion" questions that are just throw away points and turns it into a formal written assignment that's graded as opposed to just giving you participation points. Online you can get away with more banal stuff answering the same question in a forum post and replying to a couple students, but in GS it's an actual assignment that your mentor will scrutinize.

For my Online courses I just went in and answered all of the forum questions within the first week or so, and setup a reminder to come back when to reply to students are everyone else caught up.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(08-30-2019, 11:24 AM)jsd Wrote: GS is a little more work because it turns the Online version's "Forum Discussion" questions that are just throw away points and turns it into a formal written assignment that's graded as opposed to just giving you participation points. Online you can get away with more banal stuff answering the same question in a forum post and replying to a couple students, but in GS it's an actual assignment that your mentor will scrutinize.

It may also be a smaller/larger part of your grade than the discussion posts, making it easier/harder to get a good grade on that portion.  I think when I did the Business Capstone, the discussion assignments were fairly long, and made up 10% of the grade, while the discussion posts were super short and made up 15%-20% of the grade (can't remember) making it much easier to get a higher more weighted grade for a smaller amount of work.  If I would have thought it through, I would have done online, as the discussion assignments were almost as much work as the case studies.  One of my discussion assignments ended up being a full 4 pages long, the same as most of my case studies.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,308 3 hours ago
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 524 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 451 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 475 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 2 320 04-04-2024, 10:10 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 258 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,228 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 233 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 375 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 304 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill