Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Guided Study vs Online for NON-Capstone
Is the only difference between guided study and normal online courses with TESU the discussion requirement? From the way it is described on their website, I got the impression that guided study is for those who want to be focused on self-studying the material more.
How are their online courses like in general, compared to online and in-person courses?
(03-05-2019, 07:40 PM)Merlin Wrote: I suspect the tradeoff is the same or at least similar, so it is really a matter of preference.

In the guided study courses you have fewer discussions and they make up less of your final grade (putting more weight on your final or other assignments). In the online courses, you have more discussions and they are weighted higher in your overall grade (so the final or other assignments may have less weight).

Personally, I prefer the Online format since I see discussions as free extra credit and means I can stress less about the final. On the capstone, I saw the ETS Proficiency Assessment the same way... 5 free points towards a higher final grade. Not everyone sees it that way though.

I see it the same way.  Some guided study have more written assignments (which are always copious amounts of busy work) and you don't get the basically free points from the discussions.  Occasionally you get a mentor who grades the discussions instead of just checking them off but that is rare.  The biggest surprise to me was the few classes I took where students in the class didn't participate in the forums.  It only takes a few minutes for the free points.

(07-17-2020, 12:15 PM)sciencemathematics1 Wrote: Is the only difference between guided study and normal online courses with TESU the discussion requirement? From the way it is described on their website, I got the impression that guided study is for those who want to be focused on self-studying the material more.
How are their online courses like in general, compared to online and in-person courses?

Mostly, yes.  TESU courses are all self-study.  There will be weekly or bi-weekly written assignments that you can expect to spend at least an hour and often several writing.  On the same schedule will be discussion posts and required replies.  Sometimes the mentors join in the discussions.  For the most part just think of the mentor as a grader.  They might help you with a quick question but they aren't really there to teach (although some are excellent and like helping).  Some courses also have quizzes worth a small percentage.  Do all the busy work on schedule and you should get most of the points (~50% of the grade) then you will either have proctored exams or papers for the rest of the points.

Do not expect video lectures, etc.  It's read, write, test.  Honestly they aren't very much fun and the other options are faster.  Use the strategies discussed on this forum to minimize the number of TESU courses you take.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 726 1 hour ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,983 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 262 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 8 361 03-04-2024, 09:28 PM
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 1 208 03-03-2024, 12:20 PM
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 233 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 273 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,161 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP