Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Guided Study vs Online for NON-Capstone
I am about to enroll in PSY-379 through TESU, and realized it was available as online or guided study. I know there have been many discussions about the pros and cons of each for the capstone, but for non-capstone courses I'm wondering which one most people would expect to be easier to get an A in.

Any input?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • collegechick
I suspect the tradeoff is the same or at least similar, so it is really a matter of preference.

In the guided study courses you have fewer discussions and they make up less of your final grade (putting more weight on your final or other assignments). In the online courses, you have more discussions and they are weighted higher in your overall grade (so the final or other assignments may have less weight).

Personally, I prefer the Online format since I see discussions as free extra credit and means I can stress less about the final. On the capstone, I saw the ETS Proficiency Assessment the same way... 5 free points towards a higher final grade. Not everyone sees it that way though.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 3 users Like Merlin's post:
  • collegechick, jsd, suzycupcake
I took my capstone guided study, if I had to do it over again, I'd do online. But, I did have a good instructor, so that was worth something.

Something to keep in mind: I went on vacation during the capstone, and since I didn't have any online discussions to post, I got to forget about it for a week while I left (and we were in Mexico with inconsistent internet). I just did my assignments ahead of time and left with no worries.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • collegechick
I think the online fornat is better. Once you have a solid thesis you wont have any problems.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • collegechick
I did both guided study and online format courses, I preferred the online format, both for the free points and for feeling a little more engaged with the course. My guided study course was Discrete Math, so this didn't come up, but my understanding is that most GS courses add extra writing assignments to replace the blog posts.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • collegechick
(03-05-2019, 09:11 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I took my capstone guided study, if I had to do it over again, I'd do online.  But, I did have a good instructor, so that was worth something.

Something to keep in mind: I went on vacation during the capstone, and since I didn't have any online discussions to post, I got to forget about it for a week while I left (and we were in Mexico with inconsistent internet).  I just did my assignments ahead of time and left with no worries.

You can avoid being tied to discussions too much with OL courses as well, it just requires planning, reading ahead, and preparing your discussion posts in advance. That is what I did. The only issue might be responding to two other student posts before the deadline, but if others also work ahead (a few did in my cohort) then responses can be written up ahead of time as well.

Working ahead was critical for me since I took my capstone during the November term so the holidays fell in the middle of my course; I wanted to have the freedom to spend time with friends & family rather than be mired in schoolwork.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I have done both and for the guided study - your classmates and professor make all the difference- no surprise! I had one GS that just weighed on me because the student conversations were not engaging and the professor was largely MIA. Another I loved the professor, she was engaged and asked great questions. I just finished a history class that was amazing! Only 4 students but we all got really into the material. The professor asked good questions and it was one of my most enjoyable classes. Intensive writing however at 6 credits. My capstone I completed as OL and it was fine. I knew my subject material well and didn’t feel I needed the extra work of posting.
Thanks all for the input. I am leaning towards Guided Study for this course, as my other course this term only has the OL option. That way I can get a taste of both before choosing which I want to do for my Capstone.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(03-06-2019, 12:22 PM)adkgirl Wrote: I have done both and for the guided study - your classmates and professor make all the difference- no surprise! I had one GS that just weighed on me because the student conversations were not engaging and the professor was largely MIA. Another I loved the professor, she was engaged and asked great questions.

I'm confused.  GS is not supposed to have any student interaction, only online has that.  Here's what it says on TESU's website:

Guided Study courses These 12-week independent study courses enable students to work on their own to complete course assignments to prepare for examinations. Like our e-Pack courses, students taking Guided Study courses have no interaction with classmates. (emphasis is mine)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • harrypotter
(03-06-2019, 02:47 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 12:22 PM)adkgirl Wrote: I have done both and for the guided study - your classmates and professor make all the difference- no surprise! I had one GS that just weighed on me because the student conversations were not engaging and the professor was largely MIA. Another I loved the professor, she was engaged and asked great questions.

I'm confused.  GS is not supposed to have any student interaction, only online has that.  Here's what it says on TESU's website:

Guided Study courses These 12-week independent study courses enable students to work on their own to complete course assignments to prepare for examinations. Like our e-Pack courses, students taking Guided Study courses have no interaction with classmates. (emphasis is mine)

Yeah, i'm pretty confused about that too. It's also no help that identical courses in guided & online courses have the same syllabus showing the same grading policy even though other users are saying they're graded differently. 

For example Intro to Counseling
Online course page: https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseC...Y-331&sem=
Guided course page: https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseC...Y-331&sem=
BABA, New England College, 2019

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,974 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 8 360 03-04-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 1 205 03-03-2024, 12:20 PM
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 266 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,155 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP