Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU History degree - how to get non-western/non-US History requirement
Hi all,

I know you can use the History of the Soviet Union DSST exam for the requirement.  Are there any other options available?  Anyone know if the World Conflicts UExcel exam would work?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I'm not aware of any other options. I'm guessing the World Conflicts UExcel would NOT meet this requirement since it presumably covers the entire world, rather than being specific to a non-Western region, but that's just a guess. I will ask when I officially become enrolled (signed up for the Dec cornerstone) and talk to an advisor. I really wish Study.com would turn their Soviet Union DSST prep class into an UL ACE/NCCRS class because I actually really enjoyed going through all the lessons for it & then I wouldn't have to drive an hour plus when I get around to taking the DSST.

Two independent study options if someone really doesn't want to do the DSST or has a reason to need/want graded credits:
University of Idaho Introduction to East Asian History ($510)
BYU Modern Japan ($579)

The problem with the U of Idaho class is that it's not upper-level (I'm not 100% certain if the BYU class is, but as best as I can tell it is), which would mean all 4 of your electives would have to be. Not a huge issue, but robs you of the ability to get the easy extra credits in the AoS by taking both the UL and LL versions of Study.com's Civil War or Vietnam War classes. Another issue with it is that if Study.com's Historical Methods eventually gets ACE/NCCRS approval but as LL, you would have to find an additional UL course beyond just the four electives + capstone. And since there are no UL options for the other four "required" courses (US History I/II, Western Civ or World History I/II), you wouldn't be able to use LL in the Non-Western History spot.

For reference, here's the list I made of all alt-credit options I could find for the History major:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/My...in_History
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • Muldoon
(11-29-2018, 03:14 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I'm not aware of any other options. I'm guessing the World Conflicts UExcel would NOT meet this requirement since it presumably covers the entire world, rather than being specific to a non-Western region, but that's just a guess. I will ask when I officially become enrolled (signed up for the Dec cornerstone) and talk to an advisor. 

I thought that I'd read before that World Literature DOES cover the non-western literature requirement, so I was thinking that World Conflicts would cover the non-western history requirement.

But if you could ask about those, that would be fantastic.

BTW - if you're signed up for the cornerstone, I think you could probably ask now, and they'd give you an answer.  You're not technically enrolled, but you are registered, and that may count for something.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-29-2018, 03:56 PM)dfrecore Wrote: BTW - if you're signed up for the cornerstone, I think you could probably ask now, and they'd give you an answer.  You're not technically enrolled, but you are registered, and that may count for something.

I tried to set up a call with an advisor but couldn't do so without a student ID, and when I tried to get my student ID from Online Student Services, it told me I didn't have one until I became enrolled. I'd be more than happy to ask now if I knew how (I've got a couple of other questions to ask as well that I've been keeping filed away until I could)!
Completed:

Up Next:

Did you have your transcripts evaluated yet? If so go to academic evaluation and your student I.d will be at the top

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

Hmm. I am not enrolled but I have a student ID. It was in my acceptance email after I applied, and it's listed on my evaluation. I was able to schedule a call with an advisor using it.
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs
You should get your student ID before you enroll; I got mine when they accepted me, well before enrollment (I don't think I enrolled for many months after that). I was able to log on and see my eval as soon as it was completed, without being enrolled.
(11-30-2018, 04:01 AM)Muldoon Wrote: Hmm. I am not enrolled but I have a student ID. It was in my acceptance email after I applied, and it's listed on my evaluation. I was able to schedule a call with an advisor using it.

Being accepted is enough to access advising, they just get sticky about the number of evaluations, and sometimes planning courses in before you enroll. That said, if you're sure you're going to do TESU, you might as well register for the cornerstone and become enrolled.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(11-29-2018, 02:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Anyone know if the World Conflicts UExcel exam would work?

Just got off the phone with advising. The advisor I spoke with didn't give a concrete "No, it won't count" but seemed fairly certain that it would not count, and that they are looking for something that is region-specific.
Completed:

Up Next:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 12 639 1 hour ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 7 153 1 hour ago
  Where should I get my accounting degree? mt_1994 10 172 1 hour ago
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,569 04-23-2024, 02:44 PM
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 617 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 544 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 277 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,329 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 253 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 405 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM