Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request degree advice
(01-25-2023, 05:21 PM)jsd Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 09:09 AM)rachel83az Wrote:  LinkedIn, for instance, doesn't even allow you to differentiate. It's all "Bachelor's degree in X". So, you should choose the subject degree that makes the most sense for your situation.

I 100% agree with your overall point, but just wanted to say that LinkedIn absolutely lets you select BA vs BS (or MA/MS/AS/AA/AAS/etc). I have mine all specificied on my LI profile.

Really? Admittedly, it's been a bit since I checked, but last time I did the "add degree" thing, it only let me choose "Bachelor in" and not "Bachelor of Arts" or "Bachelor of Science".
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Should I start to prepare RA credits, or do I need to prepare those RA credits after applying for TESU? 
Thank you for all the info. 

Non-American University Credits 

For TESU's purposes, credits from any properly accredited/authorized foreign university will count as "RA-credits" as long as those credits have been evaluated by a recognized evaluation company. For students who do not have prior university credit, credits from Finnish universities can be a low-cost way to meet this requirement. Depending on the university and the course(s) chosen, a student may be able to get a few dozen credits for free and only pay the evaluation fee (approximately $200).
For Finnish (or other non-American credits), it helps to try to get as many as possible before applying, but sometimes it is best to just apply and enroll ASAP in order to lock in the current catalog. The credits can always be transferred in after enrollment. Right now, as long as you enroll by the end of May, you'll be good.

Each foreign evaluation costs the same amount of money whether it's one credit or one hundred. It's best to go slightly over the number of credits you think you might need, if at all possible. This way, you don't wind up spending money on additional evaluations or US credits if it should turn out that you don't have quite as many credits after evaluation as you thought.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-26-2023, 01:36 AM)emmaya Wrote: Should I start to prepare RA credits, or do I need to prepare those RA credits after applying for TESU? 
Thank you for all the info. 

Non-American University Credits 

For TESU's purposes, credits from any properly accredited/authorized foreign university will count as "RA-credits" as long as those credits have been evaluated by a recognized evaluation company. For students who do not have prior university credit, credits from Finnish universities can be a low-cost way to meet this requirement. Depending on the university and the course(s) chosen, a student may be able to get a few dozen credits for free and only pay the evaluation fee (approximately $200).

For TESU, I always recommend you enroll ASAP. Then you can send in credits whenever you like, and you lock in your catalog. It doesn't really matter whether you work on alt credits or RA credits first. You should post all of your existing credits here, if any. Then create a spreadsheet and start mapping out what requirements you will fill with what sources.

I would suggest you go ahead and start with earning your GenEds via alt credit while you flesh out the complete degree plan and decide where your RA credits will come from. The key to success in this is to keep moving forward. Never let procrastination derail you.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(01-25-2023, 05:29 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 05:21 PM)jsd Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 09:09 AM)rachel83az Wrote:  LinkedIn, for instance, doesn't even allow you to differentiate. It's all "Bachelor's degree in X". So, you should choose the subject degree that makes the most sense for your situation.

I 100% agree with your overall point, but just wanted to say that LinkedIn absolutely lets you select BA vs BS (or MA/MS/AS/AA/AAS/etc). I have mine all specificied on my LI profile.

Really? Admittedly, it's been a bit since I checked, but last time I did the "add degree" thing, it only let me choose "Bachelor in" and not "Bachelor of Arts" or "Bachelor of Science".

I just checked(via the LinkedIn app) and my profile does indeed say Bachelor of Science - BS and when I went to add another degree it lets me choose among many different degree options like Bachelor of Architecture, Fine Arts, Business Administration, etc. or even type in my own.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 4 79 2 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 593 Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,166 Yesterday, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,905 Yesterday, 12:31 AM
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 211 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 202 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,151 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Confused Brit looking for advice BritStudent 30 1,970 04-16-2024, 08:29 AM
Last Post: allvia
  WGU Advice - Bachelor's or Master's in Education? nykorn 3 390 04-15-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,305 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM