Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting an additional Associates Degree advice please
(11-19-2020, 01:37 PM)collegechick Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 01:15 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Did you not take the Sophia.org Intro to IT course? It should come in as CIS-107, so, I'm not even sure why they're suggesting taking the CooperSmith course.  Ask them about the Davar Academy courses: CIS-101 Introduction to Computers and CIS-315 Management Information Systems as those should come in as a COS-101 and MIS-301, you can then take the Study.com BUS 104 Info Systems & Comp Apps, it should come in as a CIS-103 Intro to CIS and lastly finish it off with Study.com COS 105 - Operating Systems.  Costs for Davar: $99 + $15/exam, Costs for Study.com: $199/month finish each provider in a month and in two months, you're done!

Thank you for these suggestions.  Now, I'm totally overwhelmed and confused.  No, I did not take Sophia.org Intro to IT.  For sure Sophia's Intro to IT can be applied?  Working with this advisor is taking forever and I've already wasted time taking Sophia's Environmental Sci and Human Bio, as this Academic Advisor told me I did not need them or an additional math.  I sent him RachaelAZ's list above and he responded with the limited courses I posted.  I already started Study.com 102 and now he didn't even mention this course as a possibility.  I've started Study.com 103 and now wonder if it will overlap with Sophia's Intro to IT??!!  I just want quick and easy because I'm starting to freak out about starting SOS 110 and the capstone consecutively next week!!

I'm going to just say that trying to work with a TESU advisor is your biggest problem.  They are generally terrible.  Uninformed, but will say yes or no to things as if they know what they're talking about (saying "I don't know" is never an option with these people).

If I were you, I would work with the people on this forum, and do what's suggested.

When I got my degree in 2018, I did so without ever discussing it with an advisor - all questions were asked here on the forum, answered, and I made things happen. No advisor is necessary.  And honestly, it's more of a detriment than anything.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • rachel83az
(11-19-2020, 01:42 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 01:37 PM)collegechick Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 01:15 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Did you not take the Sophia.org Intro to IT course? It should come in as CIS-107, so, I'm not even sure why they're suggesting taking the CooperSmith course.  Ask them about the Davar Academy courses: CIS-101 Introduction to Computers and CIS-315 Management Information Systems as those should come in as a COS-101 and MIS-301, you can then take the Study.com BUS 104 Info Systems & Comp Apps, it should come in as a CIS-103 Intro to CIS and lastly finish it off with Study.com COS 105 - Operating Systems.  Costs for Davar: $99 + $15/exam, Costs for Study.com: $199/month finish each provider in a month and in two months, you're done!

Thank you for these suggestions.  Now, I'm totally overwhelmed and confused.  No, I did not take Sophia.org Intro to IT.  For sure Sophia's Intro to IT can be applied?  Working with this advisor is taking forever and I've already wasted time taking Sophia's Environmental Sci and Human Bio, as this Academic Advisor told me I did not need them or an additional math.  I sent him RachaelAZ's list above and he responded with the limited courses I posted.  I already started Study.com 102 and now he didn't even mention this course as a possibility.  I've started Study.com 103 and now wonder if it will overlap with Sophia's Intro to IT??!!  I just want quick and easy because I'm starting to freak out about starting SOS 110 and the capstone consecutively next week!!

I'm going to just say that trying to work with a TESU advisor is your biggest problem.  They are generally terrible.  Uninformed, but will say yes or no to things as if they know what they're talking about (saying "I don't know" is never an option with these people).

If I were you, I would work with the people on this forum, and do what's suggested.

When I got my degree in 2018, I did so without ever discussing it with an advisor - all questions were asked here on the forum, answered, and I made things happen. No advisor is necessary.  And honestly, it's more of a detriment than anything.

So, could I take these remaining three:
Sophia's Intro to IT
Study.com Computer Concepts & Applications COS103 
Study.com 105 Operating Systems

Thank you for your comment.  I appreciate your and Rachel's help.  However, when I applied the auto fill on TESU's walking stick degree programs, it said I needed 4 more natural science credits, 1 more ethics and only 5 more CS credits.  After speaking with this advisor none of this was accurate.  You and I were even talking about the possibility I might need another math.  Glad I spoke to TESU because I do not require anymore math.  Because I already have an Associates, TESU is requiring current 12sh coursework.  After everything was applied, he said I need 9sh in CS to finish this Associates. 

I'd prefer not taking anymore Coopersmith Courses.  I'm already familiar with SDC, so I'd prefer to finish anything out there.
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant
Yeah, those 3 work fine if you want to stick with Study.com... I suggest the Davar Academy courses though as it should be cheaper/easier/faster (they use the same format as Coopersmith). Either way, you're off to the races before you start the Cornerstone/Capstone, finish these three quickly or put it off until you complete the cornerstone/capstone, it's all up to you which is a better option...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • collegechick
(11-19-2020, 01:57 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yeah, those 3 work fine if you want to stick with Study.com...  I suggest the Davar Academy courses though as it should be cheaper/easier/faster (they use the same format as Coopersmith).  Either way, you're off to the races before you start the Cornerstone/Capstone, finish these three quickly or put it off until you complete the cornerstone/capstone, it's all up to you which is a better option...

Do you think Sophia's IT will overlap?  I will look into Davar.  Might have already wasted money with SDC.  Thank you.
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
I told you about the Study.com BUS 104 as it comes in as a CIS 103 just in case you already have a COS 101 somewhere
They don't overlap as this is how it should come in: You are good to go taking my suggestion or using the ones below

Sophia's Intro to IT - CIS 107
Study.com Computer Concepts & Applications COS103 - COS 101
Study.com 105 Operating Systems - COS 240

I wonder why they'd allow Into to IT from Sophia and not Study.com's Intro to IT. Already started that one. Sad
collegechick Wrote:I wonder why they'd allow Into to IT from Sophia and not Study.com's Intro to IT. Already started that one. Sad

Study.com's Comp Sci 102: Fundamentals of Info Tech comes into TESU as CMP-202 Foundations of Info Tech
It should work in the Comp Sci, but I guess the advisor wanted everything in the CIS/COS category or something

(11-19-2020, 01:57 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yeah, those 3 work fine if you want to stick with Study.com...  I suggest the Davar Academy courses though as it should be cheaper/easier/faster (they use the same format as Coopersmith).  Either way, you're off to the races before you start the Cornerstone/Capstone, finish these three quickly or put it off until you complete the cornerstone/capstone, it's all up to you which is a better option...

(11-19-2020, 02:15 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
collegechick Wrote:I wonder why they'd allow Into to IT from Sophia and not Study.com's Intro to IT.  Already started that one.  Sad

Study.com's Comp Sci 102: Fundamentals of Info Tech comes into TESU as CMP-202 Foundations of Info Tech
It should work in the Comp Sci, but I guess the advisor wanted everything in the CIS/COS category or something

If I switch gears and do the Davar classes, how does TESU accept credit from them?  Direct transcripts, ACE or Accliam?  Thank you for all your help!
The advisors definitely don't know what the heck they're doing. It's very frustrating and makes it difficult to keep on track. They may tell you that X will work when Y is what you're looking for. Or they'll tell you that something won't work when it actually will. It's not always possible to avoid contacting them but I would definitely keep things to a minimum.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-19-2020, 02:46 PM)collegechick Wrote:

(11-19-2020, 02:15 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
collegechick Wrote:I wonder why they'd allow Into to IT from Sophia and not Study.com's Intro to IT.  Already started that one.  Sad

If I switch gears and do the Davar classes, how does TESU accept credit from them?  Direct transcripts, ACE or Accliam?  Thank you for all your help!

Davar is NCCRS, not ACE - so no changes to their policy.  Davar will send the transcripts to TESU directly.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • collegechick

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need some advice tpell1219 14 498 03-27-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: RJ77
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 290 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 244 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 238 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 606 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Adding on associates? optimisticCoder3 6 391 02-23-2024, 09:58 PM
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 569 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 44 4,757 02-06-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 499 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
Information Advice on BS CIS Degree plan SaberTronnN 17 1,265 01-12-2024, 11:12 PM