Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU LIB495 - No help, withdrawing from it. Thoughts?
(07-19-2019, 01:05 PM)saraholson Wrote: I took both Comp1 and 2 through Study.com and I don't recall having to write a 'thesis' paper. A thesis was always just described as the sentence (or three) that explains the main idea of the paper. When I do the capstone I am sure I will need to look at examples and research exactly what type of paper i am supposed to write.

you're right- that word can mean 2 different things.

The thesis of a sentence, as you describe, is essentially the main idea or objective. A thesis paper is a research paper - usually really long - done at the conclusion of a degree and sometimes involves conducting research and or doing statistical analysis.

A capstone will NOT require conducting original research, and since TESU isn't a research institution, there wouldn't be anyone to supervise it anyway. Wink
I'm doing the July capstone and I have Augustus Black - he's fantastic and very accessible, see if you can switch to his class maybe? Don't stress out about the capstone, it's really not that big of a deal. I found some sample papers on this forum and am modelling the structure of my paper after them (the format, not the writing itself!) - it's working just fine so far.
----
TESU ASNSM Mathematics, BACS, BALS Psychology 2020 graduate 
[-] The following 1 user Likes NolaRice's post:
  • suzycupcake
I just finished the April 2019 LIB-495 Capstone and we were required to provide original research. Maybe it depends on the mentor.
Either way, it was not a showstopper.
TESU BALS/2019
Capstone LIB-495 April 2019
Study.com/NFA/Sophia/Cisco/Institutes
TECEP: 15 | University: 4 | DLIFLC: 45 | JST: 45 | TEEX: 6
Can someone send me the samples as well please?

Thanks
unfortunately any help posted here may not be as relevant to current (Aug and beyond) students. I'm in the Aug Online class and our mentor can't provide any examples of what is required because we are the first class to go through the completely revamped course.

Western Governor's University (WGU)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) - Accepted/TBD
ENEB/Universidad Isabel I
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) - 2023
- Master in Management and Team Management - 2023
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies - 2019
Community College of the Air Force (CCAF)
- Associate of Applied Science in Information Systems Technology - 2003

Multiple CLEP, DANTES, Saylor, Straighterline credits.

Professional Certifications
Project Management Professional (PMP)

Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
HelpDesk Institute Support Center Director (HDI-SCD)

For the new capstone format - my mentor says that the capstone is more of a graduate-level project and that a lot of students are confused about it. Since there aren't any sample papers using the new format, I've started reviewing graduate-level theses (masters and PhD) available on the web to base my paper on in terms of formatting. You do not need to provide original research, which makes things a ton easier. 
Once I go through the course, I will post my final paper here.
----
So they want you to produce a graduate level thesis, in just 3 months, with no institutional research funding/support? I'm sure that will go swimmingly for them.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(08-21-2019, 09:49 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: So they want you to produce a graduate level thesis, in just 3 months, with no institutional research funding/support? I'm sure that will go swimmingly for them.

I meant a graduate type paper in format. You're not expected to go as deep as a graduate project for this. I agree that the guidelines are confusing but I don't think the paper is that hard.
----
(07-19-2019, 01:17 PM)cookderosa Wrote: A capstone will NOT require conducting original research, and since TESU isn't a research institution, there wouldn't be anyone to supervise it anyway. Wink

When I went through TESU a couple years ago, mine did. I wound up constructing and running a survey, and interviewed several subject matter experts. I feel pretty strongly that was mandated and not me just overachieving, lol

My cohort got little instruction. They expected us to already know how to do a capstone, and just do it. I was totally lost the entire time. I did google searches for completed capstone projects, and haunted other colleges looking for their help sections on how to do it.

I was fairly successful (want to say it was 94%) but I can't say if I was pitched a softball, or my work actually was rigorous enough. Reading dozens of other papers, it at least *looks* like theirs, lol

Rereading my post before I push send, I can't stress enough how lost I felt. And, how little feedback and how long it took to get the sheepherder / class facilitator / whatever he was called to respond to even the most basic questions, which most certainly were NOT in any of his provided data. (shrugs)

And, the feedback that came with each segment was canned. No question. I think, one time it didn't even really address what I was doing LOL.

All I can offer OP is, a- hang in there. They can't eat you. b-be brief. I know about word counts, I'm telling you academics love conciseness. c-the thesis is the heart of the paper. Every individual paragraph somehow ties right back into it. If they don't mesh, adjust fire on the thesis. d-seriously, go light on filler words. Get someone else to read your stuff, and maybe add another point instead of puffing each paragraph.

Edit - yeah, they do. TESU has an IRB, and because my survey involved people, I sent them a thing. https://www.tesu.edu/about/institutional-review-board
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

(08-29-2019, 06:28 AM)High_Order1 Wrote:
(07-19-2019, 01:17 PM)cookderosa Wrote: A capstone will NOT require conducting original research, and since TESU isn't a research institution, there wouldn't be anyone to supervise it anyway.  Wink

When I went through TESU a couple years ago, mine did. I wound up constructing and running a survey, and interviewed several subject matter experts. I feel pretty strongly that was mandated and not me just overachieving, lol

My cohort got little instruction. They expected us to already know how to do a capstone, and just do it. I was totally lost the entire time. I did google searches for completed capstone projects, and haunted other colleges looking for their help sections on how to do it.

I was fairly successful (want to say it was 94%) but I can't say if I was pitched a softball, or my work actually was rigorous enough. Reading dozens of other papers, it at least *looks* like theirs, lol

Rereading my post before I push send, I can't stress enough how lost I felt. And, how little feedback and how long it took to get the sheepherder / class facilitator / whatever he was called to respond to even the most basic questions, which most certainly were NOT in any of his provided data. (shrugs)

And, the feedback that came with each segment was canned. No question. I think, one time it didn't even really address what I was doing LOL.

All I can offer OP is, a- hang in there. They can't eat you. b-be brief. I know about word counts, I'm telling you academics love conciseness. c-the thesis is the heart of the paper. Every individual paragraph somehow ties right back into it. If they don't mesh, adjust fire on the thesis. d-seriously, go light on filler words. Get someone else to read your stuff, and maybe add another point instead of puffing each paragraph.

Edit - yeah, they do. TESU has an IRB, and because my survey involved people, I sent them a thing.  https://www.tesu.edu/about/institutional-review-board

I just wanted to add to this thread in case any students read through it in 2022.  If anyone is nervous about taking LIB495, and perhaps not confident about your abilities to succeed, a good mentor would be Dr. Haydel. She will give you her phone number on day 1 and you are invited to call her with your questions, etc. She runs a weekly zoom call where students can bring their questions,  support one another, etc. She is an example of a prof who is very hands on. Not everyone likes that, but it's a great choice if you feel scared/lost by the prospect of a 25-40 page research paper.

25-40 pages is the current length range given in the syllabus, and original research is no longer required. Online courses have weekly discussion groups, but the general studies course replaces the weekly discussion group with a written assignment. It is the exact same question for both. The rubrics and course objectives are identical for each course as well.
[-] The following 2 users Like bartlebuck's post:
  • Dorothy44, spree610

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,349 Yesterday, 11:51 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 531 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 456 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 480 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 261 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,236 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 233 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 377 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 279 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27