Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU LIberal Studies, what qualifies
Because I'd like to get the study.com discount from TESU and am not ready to sign up with study.com yet, I don't want to apply to TESU for an evaluation quite yet. So, I'm asking here in hope of getting a general idea.

I'm attempting to map out a BA in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Computer Science. I also have around 20 upper division and graduate level courses in linguistics as well as a few upper division credits in a second language. Can linguistic and language courses be used to fill out the liberal studies upper level requirements?
you only have 9 electives in CS, which is not a whole lot, but my own evaluation only has 4 UL in the CS elective with other lower division credits filling the section, so it seems it is fair to say that you need 18 in total (CS or not CS). You still need to remember that no more than 6 credits can be from the 100.

Anyway, you got some choice in the CS UL electives:
Database management, study.com
system analysis and design, study.com
software engineering, saylor
network technology, tecep
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
(07-25-2018, 09:39 PM)posabsolute Wrote: you only have 9 electives in CS, which is not a whole lot, but my own evaluation only has 4 UL in the CS elective with other lower division credits filling the section, so it seems it is fair to say that you need 18 in total (CS or not CS). You still need to remember that no more than 6 credits can be from the 100.

Anyway, you got some choice in the CS UL electives:
Database management, study.com
system analysis and design, study.com
software engineering, saylor
network technology, tecep

Thanks for your comments, they are helpful, but aren't actually the question I was asking. I'm wanting to know what types of courses can fill the rest of the liberal studies. I have over 20 upper level credits in linguistics and a foreign language that I'm hoping can fill in the upper level requirements of the liberal studies requirement. Does anyone know if they will work or not?
Short answer: Yes, it will work. Long answer: Yes, it will work - if you have a BA degree already, you will need to take 24 additional credits after the degree, 18 being UL. And if you want to know what satisfies the BALS, here are the links to each concentration. https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/liberal-studies
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki
(07-25-2018, 11:50 PM)Lewis.Yim Wrote: Short answer: Yes, it will work.  Long answer: Yes, it will work - if you have a BA degree already, you will need to take 24 additional credits after the degree, 18 being UL.  And if you want to know what satisfies the BALS, here are the links to each concentration.  https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/liberal-studies

Thanks Lewis, I've looked at that list long and hard, but it doesn't clarify to me if linguistics and language credits fit in "liberal studies" or not. I'm hoping for someone with experience to show up with first hand knowledge of what the criteria is.
Hey Jeffrey, so I got 16 language credits, some UL, they are all listed in my 27 electives section.

I think you will need to speak with academic advising to know if they can qualify as the 12 other LS credits.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
----
----
(07-26-2018, 08:28 AM)posabsolute Wrote: Hey Jeffrey, so I got 16 language credits, some UL, they are all listed in my 27 electives section.

I think you will need to speak with academic advising to know if they can qualify as the 12 other LS credits.

Not good news! Thanks for the info though.
Foreign languages usually fall under Humanities. If you look at https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2...2#Cultures it will show Spanish under Humanities. Other languages would be the same. Not sure about linguistics though.
TESU BA June 2018.
Various business certificates still to do.
So I had a look back, MyEdison was down this morning, and my 4 UL French courses show in the liberal studies section, so they can be part of the LS 12CR

Sorry for the confusion
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
----
----
Not that this will help yet, but once you have an evaluation and log in with TESU, you can run reports to show how your credits fit into different degree plans. My foreign language and linguistic courses came in all sorts of areas depending on if I was choosing a humanities focus or not. They bounced around between Gen Ed, Free Electives, and AOS. I'm not an expert on the CS emphasis though. You might consider posting your credits here and seeing if someone can put together a plan for you.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,932 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,621 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,030 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,587 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,671 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,296 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,551 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,287 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,327 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,822 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore