Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Liberal Studies Degree Plan Help
Hello Friends, 
I have been lurking in this forum for a bit and finally decided to create an account. I went ahead and applied at WGU and TESU. They both evaluated my transcripts(2 transcripts from 2 different community colleges). WGU decided to transfer 25 of my credits for their Business Administration program, while TESU transferred 80 of my credits. They said they have an 80 hour limit for credits transferred from community colleges and they reject some classes(10 credit hours), (I thought this was weird, since they accept other credits from Saylor, etc.). I'm coming to you guys to help me with coming up with a plan of attack that's cheap and fast(I understand those two terms are tricky). I, ideally, would like to complete this degree in 6 month-1 year.  I appreciate you all for all you do and for also giving back from the lesson's you learned.

Attached Files
.htm   evaluation.htm (Size: 51.47 KB / Downloads: 57)
TESU only accepts up to 80 credits from a community college, nothing more. Having said that, you can transfer in up to the required 114 credits, you just need the Capstone and Cornerstone to be taken at TESU.

From looking at your evaluation, you may want to do two things, it won't take up your time, go into the OSS and get an evaluation for ASNSM Biology and one for ASNSM Math. If my quick glance is correct, you are done with both, you may need just one course in each.

Secondly, the BALS has several concentration options or a no concentration option, which would you prefer? If I was in your shoes, if you choose the NSM option, you can "minor" in Computer Science! (skip the ASNSM Comp Sci for this reason).

I would recommend completing everything with Study.com instead of going for another provider. Skip Saylor/Straighterline unless they offer some courses that can't be found with Study.com, you need Study.com for all UL requirements as there are very less offerings elsewhere for UL.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thank you so much for your prompt response and suggestion, bjcheung77. I went ahead and did the evaluations for ASNSM Biology and another one for Math. I've attached them below. What's your thought?

Another question: Why the computer science concentration since I haven't really taken any computer classes in the past? I work as an IT project manager, so I'm not really new to the world, but I wanted to understand where you were coming from. I've also attach

Attached Files
.htm   ASNSM in Biology.htm (Size: 43.99 KB / Downloads: 33)
.htm   ASNSM in Mathematics.htm (Size: 43.37 KB / Downloads: 23)
WGU only has about 30cr of GE, so that's why you're not going to get much bang for your buck there with the courses you've taken. Most who have a lot of prior credit will have this same issue. This does NOT mean that you aren't better off at WGU, and that it can't be cheaper than TESU. It just means that the past credits you're bringing in aren't going to be of much help.

You're also comparing apples-to-oranges when you look at TESU's BALS and WGU's BSBA. If you were to look at TESU's BSBA, you'd have less than 80cr coming in as well.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-02-2019, 02:45 PM)afro_knowledge Wrote: Thank you so much for your prompt response and suggestion, bjcheung77. I went ahead and did the evaluations for ASNSM Biology and another one for Math.  I've attached them below. What's your thought?

Another question: Why the computer science concentration since I haven't really taken any computer classes in the past? I work as an IT project manager, so I'm not really new to the world, but I wanted to understand where you were coming from. I've also attach

Ah, just as I thought...  You need one course for each ASNSM - both degree requirements are easily obtainable from StraighterLine and Study.com  I would finish both degrees "FREE" en route to the Bachelors.  Each course can be used in your remaining general education or free electives.

Why computer science/comp info systems as an NSM concentration?  It's the only "science" concentration for the BALS that can be completed entirely through alternative means.  Unless you want to go for another concentration, I would choose the NSM concentration as you can use mainly cs/cis courses.

My end game & goal is always cheap/easy/fast & extra value (getting more certs/degrees awarded for the same price as 1 degree). Most people shoot for 2 of the three, but I am a strange one who likes to add a 4th.  LOL, with that goal in mind, you get an extra certificate in Comp Info Systems with the NSM concentration.

My question for you actually is, do you have tuition assistance from work or Business/IT certification reimbursement?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-02-2019, 07:44 PM)dfrecore Wrote: WGU only has about 30cr of GE, so that's why you're not going to get much bang for your buck there with the courses you've taken.  Most who have a lot of prior credit will have this same issue.  This does NOT mean that you aren't better off at WGU, and that it can't be cheaper than TESU.  It just means that the past credits you're bringing in aren't going to be of much help.

You're also comparing apples-to-oranges when you look at TESU's BALS and WGU's BSBA.  If you were to look at TESU's BSBA, you'd have less than 80cr coming in as well.
This makes sense. I'm learning that TESU might be more liberal with transfer credits as their General Management program will transfer 66 of my classes. Is this degree program the equivalent of the BSBA at WGU? I noticed the naming difference and wasn't really sure. I appreciate the help.

(05-03-2019, 11:54 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 02:45 PM)afro_knowledge Wrote: Thank you so much for your prompt response and suggestion, bjcheung77. I went ahead and did the evaluations for ASNSM Biology and another one for Math.  I've attached them below. What's your thought?

Ah, just as I thought...  You need one course for each ASNSM - both degree requirements are easily obtainable from StraighterLine and Study.com  I would finish both degrees "FREE" en route to the Bachelors.  Each course can be used in your remaining general education or free electives.

Why computer science/comp info systems as an NSM concentration?  It's the only "science" concentration for the BALS that can be completed entirely through alternative means.  Unless you want to go for another concentration, I would choose the NSM concentration as you can use mainly cs/cis courses.

My end game & goal is always cheap/easy/fast & extra value (getting more certs/degrees awarded for the same price as 1 degree). Most people shoot for 2 of the three, but I am a strange one who likes to add a 4th.  LOL, with that goal in mind, you get an extra certificate in Comp Info Systems with the NSM concentration.

My question for you actually is, do you have tuition assistance from work or Business/IT certification reimbursement?

Brilliant!! This was such an excellent suggestion on the value! As far as the classes at StraighterLine and Study.com, do you have any recommendations on classes that will satisfy this requirement while still being usable for the degree program?

Regarding your recommendation on the NSM concentration, I'm having a hard time understanding what NSM stands for...can you enlighten me, please. 

I have tuition reimbursements from work upto $4000/year, which can cover classes at StraighterLine(minus the subscription). I agree on trying to draw extra value while completing this at a quick pace. I'm super open to any recommendations you may have. Thank you so much!
@afro_knowledge TESU has both a BALS General Management or a BSBA General Management. The BSBA would be the equivalent of WGU's BBA, while the BALS would be different. I'm guessing based on the context that you're referring to the BALS.

Also, NSM = Natural Sciences & Mathematics

Hope this helps!
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(05-03-2019, 07:04 PM)afro_knowledge Wrote:
I have tuition reimbursements from work upto $4000/year, which can cover classes at StraighterLine(minus the subscription). I agree on trying to draw extra value while completing this at a quick pace. I'm super open to any recommendations you may have. Thank you so much!

If you have tuition reimbursement from work, then your best bet probably isn't going to be TESU, nor is it going to be using Straighterline and Study.com (both are membership-based).  Instead, you will want to use CLEP and DSST exams, or providers that don't charge by the month but rather by the course like Ed4Credit and Sophia.

FIRST, decide on the degree you want.  If it's a BSBA, then you have 2 great options.  If it's a BALS/BSLS, then you have 1 great option.

Option 1a) BSBA @ WGU, and do a single term starting in 2019, and then if you need to do another term, you'll want to start in 2020.  That way, your employer will cover ALL of your costs.

Option 1b) BSBA @ COSC, where you can take your Cornerstone in 2019, and then your capstone in 2020.  Again, no cost to you.

Option 2) BALS/BSLA @ COSC

TESU will also work, but they're just more expensive, and so harder to make sure all costs are paid by your company.  Plus, they have that weird "residency waiver" fee of $2200, and there's no telling if your company would pay that.  So why go through the hassle of trying to justify everything to them, when you have 2 great options that will be paid for 100% by your company easily.

I would double-check with your company to make sure that they will pay for ACE-recommended courses through Sophia/Ed4Credit/CLEP/DSST, and then come back and ask for a plan using those for COSC and WGU.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT TO ADD: Looking at COSC, you could easily finish the entire degree, including all courses/exams, tuition & fees at COSC, for $3500.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • suzycupcake
(05-03-2019, 11:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-03-2019, 07:04 PM)afro_knowledge Wrote:

If you have tuition reimbursement from work, then your best bet probably isn't going to be TESU, nor is it going to be using Straighterline and Study.com (both are membership-based).  Instead, you will want to use CLEP and DSST exams, or providers that don't charge by the month but rather by the course like Ed4Credit and Sophia.

FIRST, decide on the degree you want.  If it's a BSBA, then you have 2 great options.  If it's a BALS/BSLS, then you have 1 great option.

Option 1a) BSBA @ WGU, and do a single term starting in 2019, and then if you need to do another term, you'll want to start in 2020.  That way, your employer will cover ALL of your costs.

Option 1b) BSBA @ COSC, where you can take your Cornerstone in 2019, and then your capstone in 2020.  Again, no cost to you.

Option 2) BALS/BSLA @ COSC

TESU will also work, but they're just more expensive, and so harder to make sure all costs are paid by your company.  Plus, they have that weird "residency waiver" fee of $2200, and there's no telling if your company would pay that.  So why go through the hassle of trying to justify everything to them, when you have 2 great options that will be paid for 100% by your company easily.

I would double-check with your company to make sure that they will pay for ACE-recommended courses through Sophia/Ed4Credit/CLEP/DSST, and then come back and ask for a plan using those for COSC and WGU.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT TO ADD: Looking at COSC, you could easily finish the entire degree, including all courses/exams, tuition & fees at COSC, for $3500.

Oh wow, what a helpful suggestion! To give a background of my dilemma, I'm an IT project manager for a fairly large hospital. Lack of a bachelor's degree restricts me from seeking higher pay from competing organizations(I make around 40-60% less than what the industry pays. Ridiculous, I know!). Having said that, most of the jobs out there for project management in healthcare require any degree(except some that require a business admin or healthcare related bachelors). My question then is, will it be beneficial to finish the Liberal Arts degree(since it seems slightly easier) and do the MBA right after(since this piece might satisfy the business admin requirement of the bachelors)? Or do the BSBM and an MBA or any other masters program, even though the natural progression would be to do an MBA?

My other question is, you said that I might be able to finish an entire degree at COSC for $3500. This, obviously, is very attractive. Can you share your thought process to this approach?(I'm totally fine if you'd rather have me apply at COSC and have my transcript evaluated before giving me the response to this question)

P.S:- I prefer to do it the cheapest way, but I'm also ok with spending around $2-3K additional out of pocket if it means finishing the program this year(2019) or early next year. 

I appreciate all the insight and knowledge!
I created a possible degree plan at COSC with a Psych/Bio concentration, using Saylor, CLEP, Ed4Credit and Coopersmith.  You could obviously do something else, but it was pretty easy to find UL psych courses at providers who charged per course rather than with the membership which your company won't pay for.

Then, upon graduation, you head on over to WGU for the MA degree - there are several options that would work for you, like MBA, MGA in IT Mgmt, MBA in Healthcare Mgmt, MA of Health Leadership, or MS in IT Mgmt.

You could do a BSBA at COSC, but I think you're so close to the BALS, and you just need any degree to move up, that it's worth doing.

Attached Files
.xlsx   afro_knowledge COSC BALS.xlsx (Size: 61.74 KB / Downloads: 59)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 279 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 237 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 236 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 606 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger